/dist/images/branding/favicon

Where to buy 10,000 mAh (4S) Lipo Batteries?

Discussion in 'Cinestar 8' started by Richard MacDonald, Aug 16, 2013.

1. Richard MacDonald

In the states, other than Quardrocopter (out of stock), does anyone recommend another place / web site to buy Lipo batteries?

I'm interested in at least 5 10,000 mAh (4S) Lipo Battery batteries.

2. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

3. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

You might want to contact www.maxamps.com -- they custom make batteries. Before QC announced the 10,000's, I bought a couple of 10,900's from them. Be sure to get the "True 120C" batteries otherwise the voltage will sag under loads around 60-80 Amps.

Andy.

4. Richard MacDonald

5. Richard MacDonald

Thank you Andy,
    There's a huge price difference between what QC sells vs these guys. Do you feel the www.maxamps.com batteries are that must better?
    I'm trying to get the most flight time out of the batteries that are available.

thanks

6. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Richard I saw posts from MaxAmps. They appear to buy raw cells and build their own batteries in house. QC's or FF cells (9000s) are very reliable and well built. And as you point out are less money and are a proven battery for our type of use.

Depending on your planned use, are you flying a single battery or dual and required flight time, take a look at a pair of smaller batteries if you are only planning to fly one larger battery.

7. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Hi Richard:
    Very hard to say which are better because that's something only time will tell. For example, how long with the batteries last (in terms of charging cycles), etc. I have QC's and Maxamps. You might want to read the second document shown on this page: http://rathergoodguides.com/documentguides.html -- I did some tests on various batteries.

Andy

8. Nathan Reim

Nathan Reim Member

I noticed that the maxamps 4S lipo has a life time warranty, after my issue with QC's lipos being dead on arrival and basically losing almost 300$ I would try those max amps. I get lipos die and a warranty on lipos could royally screw a company financially if you keep getting people trying to get free lipos, but if the warranty covers the lipos life span I would choose them, just my thought take it for what its worth!

9. Shaun Stanton

Shaun Stanton Active Member

Didn't Adam rectify this issue with you?

Shaun

10. Nathan Reim

Nathan Reim Member

Nope, asked about it and I never heard from him again.

11. Nathan Reim

Nathan Reim Member

I would definitely wouldn't mind them taking care of the issue, I still purchase from QC all the time, but I cant risk buying a lipo that doesn't work just to be told I cant do anything about it. I will say that Casey just went out of his way to replace a flight controller that mysteriously went bad somewhere between being shipped from me to them for an ACC upgrade, so they do take care of their customers, I would say my lipo issues were isolated issues and unfortunately it happened twice out of the 20 or so lipos I have from QC.

12. Justin Pringle

Justin Pringle New Member

Use 2 x 10.000 Mah White Label/ Gensace batteries at 6S, dismiss 4s ones.
    Or the 9000Mah 6S from Freefly
    cost around £200 a battery from Heliguy in the UK

13. Steven Flynn

Steven Flynn Member

Hey all... just looking to buy new batteries and thought I might ask a quick question. I'm flying 4S 8k Lipos from QC right now. I'm flying dual batteries and flying the c300 alot... I was thinking of buying a set of 4 10,000 mAh batteries to add to my kit, but I'm wondering about the cell count. I'm assuming that I can't just stick a bunch of 6S batteries on my rig? (CS8). Excuse my novice question about the power plant... i'm still learning the details of how flight controllers/motors/ and batteries all work together. Thanks.

14. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

If you want to convert from 4S to 6S, Steve, I think you have two choices:

1. Modify the MK FC 2.1 to install some capacitors capable of handling the higher voltage of 6S (and live with the fact that the telemetry will not report Flight LiPo batteries correctly).

2. Replace the MK FC 2.0 with a 2.5 which can handle 6S and deal with the Flight LiPo 6S voltages.

If you're not using MK electronics, could you identify what you are using?

Andy

15. Steven Flynn

Steven Flynn Member

Thanks Andy, I'll change my profile to reflect my gear. I'm flying the MK 2.0 (since I'm flying the 4s). Gotta say I find the MK FC a bit finicky. Is the 2.5 more robust, or is it just a power difference? And if I shifted to 2.5 could I still use my 4s cells? Is FreeFly still working on synapse? I'm looking to improve my flight controls to behave more like the Movi... predictable solid as a rock, and true as an arrow. (My clients AND I love my Movi) I know these are basic questions, but I've been flying for almost a year now and there are so many options and variations and choices ... somebody should put it all together in one spot where it answered everyone's questions! :), but of course that'd take years and by that time we'll be levitating.

16. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

The 2.5 FC certainly still works with 4S. It requires the current version of the 2.x firmware, so you'll have to upgrade the FC, the NC and MKTool. Last time I looked I think we were at 2.01f (or was it 2.01e?). There's a thread on the forum. Reports are that the AH and PH are now solid, but the weather here has been pretty unappealing to go fly so I've not flight tested FC 2.5 but several other folk living in places where there's been flyable weather have tested it.

As you say, collating all the individual quanta of data would be a challenge -- and by the time you'd finished doing that, it would all have changed!

Andy.

17. Steven Flynn

Steven Flynn Member

Thanks for the clarity . Just to be super clear, (I'm still learning the abbreviations...), FC is Flight control and that is a hardware upgrade... the NC is Navigation Controller... and I'm not clear if that is a hardware or just software change. Looks like it's hardware as well. Has there been any movement on synapse getting to market? MKtool is software... do I have all that right? If you had links to the right hardware parts I'd be so very grateful... Thanks again for all your help. Steve.

18. Shaun Stanton

Shaun Stanton Active Member

To clarify the FC and NC are hardware and have different versions the most unitl now the most recent flight controller was FC 2.1 and NC 2.0. Then they came out with a "Midlife upgrade for FC 2.1 and dubbed it 2.2. Now they just released FC 2.5. NC 2.0 is still current. with these there are various firmware changes . FC 2.5 requires at least according to MK's site firmware 2.00d or higher I believe they are at 2.00j now.

Here is the link from MK on all their electronics. http://www.mikrokopter.de/ucwiki/MK-Board

No new info has been released on the Synapse.

19. Nathan Reim

Nathan Reim Member

Well, just got off the phone with quadrocopter and they have totally gone above and beyond what I would expect to rectify the issue I had with the lipos I had issues with. My faith in QC is again stronger than ever, great company to work with and Karsten is the man!