/dist/images/branding/favicon

Teradek Clip

Discussion in 'Video Assist & Video Accessories' started by Drew Kachurak, Sep 9, 2013.

1. Michael Gailing

Hey Andy,

Ya, you would need a Cube decoder: either the Cube 455 (HDMI) or Cube 355 (SDI), which would plug into the monitor.

2. Michael Gailing

I've got another update RE Clip's streaming capabilities. It looks like I was misinformed about RTSP support - Clip will NOT ship with it. However, Clip will be able to use TDS, which is our proprietary streaming protocol. This means you can go to Cube decoders, but you cannot go to laptops since we would need to build a module for VLC.

I will continue to keep you guys updated as the final adjustments are made to the software.

3. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Michael so now I confess to being confused. Out of the box the Clip will connect to: (complete the sentence)
    Video can be seen on ???? using the Teradek ????? app on a ??????

4. Michael Gailing

Out of the box:

Clip will connect to iPads and Cube decoders using TDS, our proprietary streaming protocol. According to the release notes on our Stream Reader Plugin for Wirecast and TriCaster, Clip should also be able to stream into these solutions using TDS. I have not tested this yet. I will report on it when I do.

To view the stream on an iPad, you must use our free Clip application on the iOS app store. Latency is about 4 frames.

So sorry for the confusion (you can see some of us here at Teradek are also confused). Due to the rapid last minute software development prior to shipping, things are changing quickly so I apologize for the back and forth.

5. Sam Fleishman

Sam Fleishman Member

When the plugin is released for vlc to stream on a laptop, the latency will be zero frames? And zero frames to cube decoder as well?

6. Sam Fleishman

Sam Fleishman Member

When will the laptop streaming be ready?

7. Michael Gailing

No, any H.264 transmitter (which Clip is) will never have zero delay. When/if the module is built, it will still be about 4 frames. I have no information on the module right now so I cannot give a release date. Truth be told, it may never come due to a potential lack of demand or other factors. I cant make any promises about that at this time.

If you need this feature, the Cube encoder already does this and a lot more. It weighs 7 ounces and is about the size of a deck cards. Sure, its heavier and a little larger than Clip, but it also gives you a lot more options.

8. Sam Fleishman

Sam Fleishman Member

What is the latency on the bolt and cube?

9. Michael Gailing

Bolt is zero delay. It uses uncompressed video, but the range cannot be extended since the antennas are built into the PCB.

Cube has the same latency as Clip: 4 frames. Cube's range can be extended greatly using routers and other gear.

10. Shaun Stanton

Shaun Stanton Active Member

Hey Mike has this been tested not to interfere with our 2.4 GHZ RC receivers? Can the 2.4 radio be disabled only allowing the 5Ghz to TX?

Shaun

11. Carl Carlert

Carl Carlert New Member

I watcht some videos on Vimeo from Teradek and yes, you can choose, 2.4 ghz or 5 Ghz or Both. You can even chose a specific channel.

12. Michael Gailing

Hey Sam,

Yes, Carl is correct. You can switch between 2.4 and 5GHz bands.

13. Guilherme Barbosa

Guilherme Barbosa Distributor

First of all would like to thanks Teradek team for the great support. Yes here is the brazilian that was visiting you last week. Clip is a great gear for its value.
    I did found a short range for the airborne ones , but I saw a little device in your HQ (electronic board) that's would able us to conect a ethernet port to the clip on the aux do you gonna sell that ? It would make a great pair with ubiquit m5 .... Any heads up on that ? And it is great to know that you have a Brazilian developing the iOS on Teradek team well done Roberto
    Cheers

14. Michael Gailing

Hey Guilherme!

The range for Clip without a router is up to 300ft, which is relatively short for aerial vehicles. This is why we always recommend using the unit with a router.

It is true that we have something in the works that allows Clip to have Ethernet connectivity, but that won't be available for a little bit. I will post more updates when I receive them.

15. Guilherme Barbosa

Guilherme Barbosa Distributor

Great thanks Michael I can testify that with apple router it's been very satisfy range for aerIal as well cheers

16. Michael Gailing

Just a quick update:

Clip is now shipping to those who bought. We have some new firmware being released for Cube Decoders in 2 days that will improve Clip to Decoder performance.

If you have any questions at all, feel free to ping me!

17. Sam Fleishman

Sam Fleishman Member

What is the recommended router for for the Clip? also would a ubiquiti antenna of some sort increase the range as well? What kind of gains are to be expected?

18. Chris Fox

Chris Fox Active Member

I've just ordered the Ubiquiti Bullet M2-TI and airMAX 10dBI antenna ... but still need to find a router with POE to use with system, or a POE injector to power the bullet .... I am at the edge of my networking knowledge, and may just be about to step over it ..... again

so interested to here an recommendations for routers as well

19. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

20. Michael Gailing

Guys,

Im still pushing the engineers to get me a list of recommended routers so please hang tight. At this time, im not personally comfortable putting names out there without properly testing them myself. As I mentioned before, we've had great experience with Ubiquiti gear when combined with our Cube. WifiRanger, as Gary recommended, is a solid choice. We've also had a client in Brazil recommend an Apple Airport Extreme (low tech) for decent distance.

Ill bug the technical guys here again today to get an update on their rec's.