/dist/images/branding/favicon

Teradek Clip

Discussion in 'Video Assist & Video Accessories' started by Drew Kachurak, Sep 9, 2013.

1. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Carl you will need a POE insertion device that puts power into an ethernet cable. Not sure if there are ones available that you could run from some type of portable battery. I use a Bullet with a RangerWifi Router that does the power insertion on the ethernet port in the router. Router is 12v with a barrel plug so easy to power with an external battery, like a 4S Lipo that I use for my copter ground station.

2. Michael Gailing

I want to let everyone know that we are working on our own range extender for Clip (we showed it at IBC). Its about the size of Clip, but we don't expect it to be out until 2014 due to FCC approval and additional development. Once it does come out, the paperwork shows it should get up to 1.5 miles, but we still need to verify that with extensive testing. Will post pictures of the alpha unit once I get some time with it.

3. Sam Fleishman

Sam Fleishman Member

What's the price point on that?

4. Michael Gailing

No price point yet. We're too far out to gauge it.

5. Adam Paugh

Adam Paugh Distributor

Hey Michael,

I picked one up yesterday and was wondering about the powering solution for the Clip. Another thread on this forum has info about the Bolt being powered through the smallHD usb port. Looking at the details of the Clip I only see a barrel port for powering. Does the Clip have a similar USB port for powering via smallHD DP4?

Greetings,
    Adam

6. Michael Gailing

Hey Adam,

No, Clip only has a barrel connector for power. Its other inputs/outputs are for micro HDMI and AUX, which will be used later for telemetry data and some future expansions.

7. Adam Paugh

Adam Paugh Distributor

Thanks Michael. And how do you mount the darn thing? The name begs the question!

Greetings,
    Adam

8. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Adam up where you live I would suggest barbed wire. Surely you have some of that around there someplace?

9. Michael Gailing

Barbed wire could be cool! Gives it a post-apocalyptic feel ;)

Well, there is literally a clip connected to the unit in the box. It has a 1/4-20" hole on it. Otherwise, you can just use zip ties (as we have been doing). We're still looking into additional mounting options. If you have any suggestions, please let us know!

EDIT: Just got word that the clip piece for the unit won't ship until November due to delays in our part shipments. If you get an early model without it, just let me know and ill send you one when they come in.

10. Scott Stemm

Scott Stemm Member

The rocketstation requires 24 volt via their 24 volt POE. They use some different wiring sceam to power the rocket. Regular POE won't power it

11. Michael Gailing

Also want to note that the supported iPads and resolutions are now up on the website. 1080 will work on the latest iPads, but the ideal resolution is 720p due to latency concerns. We're hoping the latest iPads announced today can handle 1080 or better.

www.teradek.com/pages/clip

12. Sam Fleishman

Sam Fleishman Member

Are there any after market antennas to use on the clip that we can use to increase range or picture quality?

13. Michael Gailing

You can put your own antennas on Clip to extend the range, but we do not have any specific recommendations at this time. Keep in mind antennas alone won't make the range increase dramatically. An amplifier of some sort is typically needed to go the furthest.

14. Sam Fleishman

Sam Fleishman Member

Will it work the same on 2s vs. 4s voltage?

15. Michael Gailing

Yep, exactly the same.

16. Sam Fleishman

Sam Fleishman Member

How well will the streaming to a laptop work over RTSP? Still the same range and resolution? Looks like from the website you need the latest iPad to even get 720.

17. Michael Gailing

You can do 720 on an iPad 3, but due to limitations in Apple's hardware, it may not be the best experience. These tablets are the weak link right now, but we think the latest iPad announced yesterday will allow us to do some cool things we have yet to implement.

Resolution (up to 1080p @ 5mbps) and range (up to 300ft with no router) are still the same when going to a laptop. Clip will perform pretty much like a Cube when going to a laptop or Cube decoder, just without all of the extra options and higher bit rates. As I've said all along, you absolutely must use a router if you want long range. I've been pushing the guys here to get me that recommended router list ASAP so hang tight.

18. Sam Fleishman

Sam Fleishman Member

Is there a how to on the teradek site to do the rtsp to a laptop? I'm assuming no extra software or hardware is needed?

19. Michael Gailing

No extra hardware when going to a laptop.

We will have a tutorial video out by Monday showing how to do this!

20. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Michael: I have Small HD7-PRO high brightness monitors (gorgeous monitors by the way -- sunlight visible) that I presently use for FPV and Payload video display. Is there a known good method for converting RTSP data into anything that these monitors can handle (e.g. HDI/SDI/HDMI/Component/Composite) please?

Thanks
    Andy