/dist/images/branding/favicon

DJI A2 FC?

Discussion in 'Cinestar 8' started by Josh Lambeth, Oct 4, 2013.

1. Josh Lambeth

Josh Lambeth Well-Known Member

2. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Josh seem to be mixed results over with Bart on MRF. Worth a read.

3. Tristan Twisselman

Tristan Twisselman Active Member

I have the v2 imu on one of my copters that i got right when they came out before the a2 system. IMO that was a waste of money. My buddy just purchased the a2 for his cine8 build. Will report back when he finishes his build.

4. Ozkan Erden

Ozkan Erden Distributor

I know lots of MK guys, including me, trying to find a route for an easy and unproblematic heavy lift setup. MK systems are mostly reliable so we are having hard time to choose between flight controllers.

PWM to I2C converter is a choice which you already tried and using. Another route can be using Herkules III which can operate native I2C.
    It supports 6S and even 8S. With a small FC modification, you can using native telemetry with 6S setup. I'm choosing Herkules III route as of now. Parts ordered.

5. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

Ozkan with the recent issues are you sure that other systems, Herkules or Aerodrone, aren't seeing the same issues with 2.0?

I don't know if I have seen any posts about 2.0 from Andreas or others like Kopterworx that use Herkules.

6. Gustav Raberg

Gustav Raberg Member

What issues?

7. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

Issues reported here and on the MK and other forums.

8. Loïc Oswald

Loïc Oswald New Member

Hi,

I've got the same idea for our cinestar 8. I'm just asking how the connection work between the freefly motor control and the A2 system. How power the dji sytem with the freefly motor control set. Anyone as an idea about it?

Thanks a lot.

M.M.

9. Gustav Raberg

Gustav Raberg Member

You just connect the ESC:s to the A2 like a normal installation. The ESC with +, - and signal cable will power the A2. I don't have the FF set or the A2 but this would be the way!

G

10. Loïc Oswald

Loïc Oswald New Member

Sorry, but I'm not sure to understand. You say that the ESCs are connected to the motor control board and just the signal connected to the dji will power the DJI A2?

So I don't connect anything to the DJI PMU don't need to be connected to the FF motor control board? So I have just to leave the 2s-6s port empty on the PMU?

11. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

Logic carefully read the manual from DJI. Otherwise you may risk damage to your new FC. Also a better forum for DJI questions is www.multirotorforum.com. Complete DJI section. Not that many DJI folks here

12. Drew Kachurak

Drew Kachurak Member

This should help

Attached Files:

13. Shaun Stanton

Shaun Stanton Active Member

I was asking the same question a few weeks ago.

I have bud in Durango who has it. According to him it has some bugs in it. Once they figure them out it looks like will be one hell of a controller. My asssment is that they have released it too early. They don't a full product manual yet. It is supposed to support Futaba FAST RC controllers nativley with telemetry like your graupner, but some of functionality is not there yet. It supports Spektrum/JR satellites but only is available for DSM2 and 8 channels. The intent of this system is to be similar to the DJI waypoint GCS system that they use as an add on with the WKM controller. The ides is to allow for a common off the shelf joystick to fly the copter coupled to a laptop and add real time way points similar to MK with the data modules. Addons for Follow me and autonomous gimbal control are features. If it were a perfect working product I would have bought it instead of the WKM V2 for my HL I am building.

I am sure in a few months they will figure it out.

14. Shaun Stanton

The battery needs to be connected to the PMU in order for the low voltage warnings and protection work. to otherwise the system will not have clue if you are reaching a low power state unless you have a third party telemetry down link to your RC Radio TX. DJI uses that single LED light as your indicator for several status indication of what the copter is doing and what mode you are flying in. It can not get this from the 5V BEC from the ESC's. It also warns you of the low battery state by the LED bulb.

15. Loïc Oswald

Loïc Oswald New Member

Thanks guys for your answer.

I've got an answer on another forum. Apparently I have to link one of the 12v from ff motor control board and the pmu of dji. Thex advice me to put between an BEC. Should I really need it with the PMU A2 which can take between 2s to 6s battery?

16. Shaun Stanton

What do you plan on using for low voltage monitoring or warning? If you use the 12v out from the ff motor control your flight control system is not going to know you are using a 6s battery. It will be unable to warn you if you are low voltage. That will be a super dangerous situation to have.

I plan on using a parallel pigtail to go directly from the battery to the OSD and my telemetry module.

17. Loïc Oswald

Loïc Oswald New Member

You're right. Should I solder my wire directly to the ff battery entering? To put in parallel the power for both system (ff et dji will be connected to the same battery). Or it's a crazy idea?

18. Shaun Stanton

No its not a crazy idea, its just not on elegant solution.

I am looking at the FF board and I see some two solder pads that are adjacent to one of the motor outputs. Those might be directly off of he main battery bus.

FFMOTORC1.jpg

I was planning using those pads for my telemetry module if it appears that they are getting raw power from the batteries. As long as every thing is in parallel off of the main battery bus you are fine. There is a second set on the opposite side of the board.

Shaun

19. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

Shaun those pads supply direct voltage from the battery.

20. Shaun Stanton

Thanks for confirming that, I figured they were but I haven't plugged it in yet to test stuff.

So Loic, Gary confirms those pads are delivering the voltage off of the battery, makes sense did not see any paths to the VR or BEC. You can solder those pads for your connection to the Power Management Unit (PMU). This is what I will do on my WKM.

Thing to keep in mind is that you most likely have to get rid of the middle wire on the ESC when connecting to your main controller. Since the PMU is providing power to the unit, all you need is the signal wire and the ground wire. The WKM manual is very explicit about this and I would imagine it is the same for the A2.

Shaun