/dist/images/branding/favicon

Radian stabilation with Red Scarlet and 3-Axis gimbal. Video included.

Discussion in 'Radian' started by Tuukka Ylonen, Sep 27, 2013.

1. Tuukka Ylonen

Tuukka Ylonen Member

Hi

I have been testing the combination in the title for two days now and the results are not very good.

What I have:

3 Axis Gimbal
    Radians on all axis
    Black O-rings
    8 vibration dampeners (i.e.two star plates)

I have done the balancing very carefully and numerous times. The props of the copter (Cinestar 8) are balanced.
    The lens is Canon EF 20mm f/2.8.

The stabilisation is still very bad. There is quite a lot of tilt jitter. The tilt gain is 80 and the roll gain is 90. Anymore especially on the tilt and there is even worse jitter than in the video below: This video is quite nice because clip is first stabilized in AE with 40% smooth, then without stabilation and then with 50 smooth. The weather was completely calm.

Any hint on how to improve results are very much appreciated thanks!

2. Urs Clement

Urs Clement Member

Hi Tuukaa!

I'm trying exactly the same setup right now. Scarlet too, 20mm 2.8 Nikkor, 8 Black Dampeners. My results are quite the same.. Any improvements so far? My gains are 70&80. I really don't see how to improve the results by now... Already thinking about building a brushless one, even if this isn't easier, i really don't expect more bad results than with the servos and Radian. Do you use the original freefly servos too?

CG is set good, i did this several days long o_O

3. Tuukka Ylonen

Tuukka Ylonen Member

I was on a two-day shoot with the Radian Cinestar and RED in Russia for some quite demanding clients including a DOP who had done 15 feature films. I am a DOP also although only one feature film under my saddle. So I guess we both are quite critical.

Our agreement was that the Radian system is not good enough for demanding professional work. I guess I can make the material OK by stabilising it a lot but it is a time consuming and tedious process and the quality suffers because there are soft and blurry frames because of the motion blur caused by quick and jerky movements of the gimbal.

I also don't see much more improvement by tuning more because my gimbal is perfectly balanced with RED and the gains are tested through numerous flights. I have the original Freefly servos.

The good points are that Radians hold the horizon straight well and on very calm weather the stabilisation is quite OK.

I am also going to convert mine into brushless with Alexmos because the quality must be gotten better. So there is little to lose in trying. Just some money and time. And think it is quite probable the stabilisation gets better because my brushless InfinityM gimbal with Sony CX-730 produces far better results with less tuning.

In fact the clients preferred the CX-730 and InfinityM brushless by the end of the second day thanks to much better stabilisation. So we dropped RED altogether halfway into the second shooting day.

Urs Clement likes this.
  4. Urs Clement

Urs Clement Member

Thinking the same.... Thanks for your answer! Do you or does anybody already use BLG's from FamousHobby?

5. Tuukka Ylonen

Tuukka Ylonen Member

I am going to use Alexmos controller with mine.

6. Kari Ylitalo

Kari Ylitalo Member

Hi Tuukka,

I have done first test flights with brushless modified cinestar gimbal and scarlet with Canon 17-40 zoom. Gimbal itself works great with 5208 150T motors but mechanically needed some serious modification. I needed to replace almost all tubes with steel or thicker aluminum tubes. I really don't get it how movi can ever be rigid enough with 1mm wall CF tubes. I had same problem when i first tested it with radians last winter, cinestar gimbal mechanical parts just were far off solid enough. It's not just clamps, it's whole construction.

Kari