/dist/images/branding/favicon

trimming the C6

Discussion in 'Cinestar 6' started by steve bourne, Oct 16, 2012.

1. steve bourne

steve bourne New Member

I am new to this game. I have just finished the build on a Cinestar 6 and had some problems initiating the communications between the controller and the C6. But Andy came to my rescue. I can take off but I have a lot of right roll into it to stabilize the hover. I can actually here and see the props are at different speeds on the ground. What would one do to correct the excessive roll? I have a Graupner mx12. thanx, steveB

2. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Welcome to the forum, Steve.

Did you perform an ACC (3-axis accelerometer) calibration with the hub completely horizontal? If not you need to do that -- it's that calibration that tells the Flight Control board what "level" is. If you are absolutely certain you did this correctly, well and good. If not, I'd recommend you do it again. You normally only need to do it once, but you have to be sure that the hub is horizontal.

There's a good write up on ACC re-calibration. You don't need to build an elaborate test fixture if you don't want to. Remove the straps from the batter plate and use a small spirit level to measure whether the hub is level or not. Use Post-It's or whatever comes to hand until the hub is level both along the long axis of the battery plate and across the short axis. If you have the camera gimbal mounted -- remove it. If you just have three landing gear on booms, they're hardmounted to the booms so you can just shim them to level the battery plate.

If you do re-calibrate the ACC, try a test flight to see whether you've corrected the problem. If not, read on...

Then double check that all of the motors are spinning the correct direction. I've only got a C8, but the rule is that odd numbered booms the motors go clockwise when viewed from the top. Even numbered booms, the motors go counter-clockwise when viewed from the top.

Then check that the propellers are all set up to rotate the correct way. The highest edge of the propeller when viewed from the top is the leading edge. Odd numbered booms, the highest edge should be to the right when a prop blade is positioned over a boom. Even numbered books the highest edge should be to the left when the blade is over the boom.

Then make sure that all the prop blades are tight. You should be using nylon locking nuts, the chamfered washer (with the chamfer facing up), then the propeller, and the then the motor.

That checks out all the mechanical aspects.

Do you have a micro-SD card installed in the Flight Control card? If you do, then you will have some log file data that would be interesting for the forum members to see. If you need help locating the GPX file (and it's only the GPX file that we need to see), let me know.

Let us know what you find.
    Andy.

steveB likes this.
  3. steve bourne

steve bourne New Member

thanx Andy.
    I thought i ruined my battery, went to 9.7 volts until i figured out why the C6 was beeping rapidly. I used the recover technique you discribed in the dvd. it appears to have worked. i will go through your nformation above with my C6 and will try the GPX.? i have a mx20, not a mx12. question for all, is there a complete English version of wiki MK? thanx, steveB

4. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Ouch....the battery is probably not quite the same as it was before so "trust but verify." You may have reduced is ability to accept a full charge -- and that's not the kind of thing you want to discover when it's 300 yards away and 400 feet up.

Does the the MX20/GR12 allow for telemetry, in which case, I'd urge you to get an earpiece and configure the MX20 for audioresponse -- it will speak the input voltage to you at a time interval of your choosing -- I have it say it every 15 seconds.

The closest thing I've seen is at mkmanual.com [Edit...sorry I said .doc originally, duh..], created by Dennis O'Hara. However, it lapses into Germlish in places....

Andy.

5. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Steve:
    An afterthought -- double check that the FC board is also level when the battery plate is level. If it were canted over to one side it's idea of "level" would be different from the frameset. I was just remounting the FC board on my C8 and I put two of the plastic nuts on and noticed that the PDB motor wires were pushing the FC board out of level. Just a thought. I'm trying to eliminate possibilities.....

Andy.