/dist/images/branding/favicon

Small drone crash lands in Manhattan

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Maxis Gamez, Oct 2, 2013.

1. Maxis Gamez

Maxis Gamez Member

2. John Butkus

John Butkus Member

Way to go butthead!

3. Paul conto

Paul conto Member

So people just won’t learn, they think it’s cool to fly these around without an idea of the problems they create WHEN they crash. I hope they get caught and prosecuted.

4. Shaun Stanton

Shaun Stanton Active Member

You beat me to this LOL;)

It wont stop until some rules are in place.

5. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Unfortunately it isn't likely that any 'rules' will deter this type of person.

Alex Smart and Josh Wilson like this.
  6. Brad Meier

Brad Meier Active Member
    Staff Member

And what rules would there be and who would enforce them. I like the woman from the FAA and her quote about how this is not allowed. What enforcement or laws do they have over this type of activity? None.

At least the guy got the card after he almost got hit. I wouldn't be surprised if he gets arrested for stealing the card. Ha!

7. Dave King

Dave King Well-Known Member

This is only the tip of the iceberg as to what is going to come since these smaller drones are so cheap and easy to get.

8. Shaun Stanton

It may stop them but at least there could fines attached for negligence. Maybe the rules expand not just to operators, but to the OEM's and distributors, not to sell to people who don't have a proven proficiency and understanding of safety guidelines.

Doing nothing won't help for sure. The more this happens, the more we are at risk. The FAA and the public are probably not going to discern the difference between a Phantom and a Cinestar or Skyjib.

9. Shaun Stanton

"Hello officer I would like to report my gopro video card stolen, after I negligently flew a drone around the city and it finally crashed after it hit several buildings, while I lost control of it, because I am idiot who thinks it's smart to fly something like this without training and experience." But the guy at the DJI booth told me these are easy to fly and come back to me if loose control of them." I didn't read the instruction manual of all functions so I did not know what I was doing." It thought it did this automatically. He didn't explain to me that the GPS may be unreliable in dense urban environments or when sun has one of the most massive CME events in a while, it's not my fault."

Dave King likes this.
  10. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

Sounds perfectly reasonable to me. :oops: