/dist/images/branding/favicon

MOVI 10 First Flight & horizon stability question

Discussion in 'MōVI M10' started by Bryan Vaughan, Oct 1, 2013.

1. Bryan Vaughan

Bryan Vaughan New Member

Hello,

We took delivery of our MOVI last week. In a word, incredible. I had it out of the box, stabilized in 10 min and walking though my office, running outside and hanging out the side of a car. We photograph high end real estate and took MOVI to first shoot yesterday - a 27,000 sq. ft. home on Chesapeake Bay in MD.

In one long day, we shot HDR photography, 360-degree panoramic images AND shot over (100) clips with MOVI. Amazing. The quantity and quality of movements we could do with MOVI go far, far beyond what we could do before with sliders and dolly tracks. It's a game changer for our business.

Below are a few unedited clips of the MOVI in action. Tab, in the third one walking out to the dock, the horizon is moving up and down a little as I walk. I think we had the camera well balanced. Could you suggest settings to tighten that up some?

Drive up to house, sitting on car hood:

Floating through incredible indoor pool & spa:

Walking out to the dock:

Thanks!

2. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Bryan what camera/lens and what are your gimbal gain settings? It almost looks like it isn't a gimbal issue but rather and up and down movement of the entire assembly. Need to essentially be on the same horizontal plane with the gimbal while walking. The steadicam glide walk....

3. Bryan Vaughan

Bryan Vaughan New Member

Gary,
    You may be right. I was just wondering if there was any possibility of the majestic tilt moving a little while walking. Probably need to practice more. Carrying with one arm versus two would likely make it smoother. The camera was Canon 5d Mark III.

4. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Walk like a runway model...:) Actually it looks like a bit of the up and down in the driveway clip, pretty steady in the indoor.

Nice house....and the asking price is?

Also what are your gain settings?

5. Brad Meier

Brad Meier Active Member
    Staff Member

For this, you should turn off majestic tilt. Or turn the window on majestic tilt way up so your walking motion doesn't affect tilt. There is definitely an up down tilt motion in your video. If majestic tilt is off and your still getting a tilt movement then you need to increase tilt stiffness but from the looks of this majestic tilt is interfering with your walk.

With majestic tilt off you can't still make tilt adjustments before the shot by simply repositioning the camera tilt angle by hand, just grab the camera and move it. The new position will be stabilized at that tilt angle.

6. Bryan Vaughan

Bryan Vaughan New Member

Brad, thanks for this. That's what I thought. We decided to run with one set of Majestic controls for this test shoot but in reality, we will need to change settings for different shot types. Luckily the bluetooth control and app are really easy to work with.

7. Tabb Firchau

Tabb Firchau Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi Bryan, Can you take a picture of your rig setup and post your stiffness settings? I can better help improve the quality of your footage with this info.

Thanks!

Tabb

8. Bryan Vaughan

Bryan Vaughan New Member

Tabb, will do tomorrow, thanks! Are you thinking maybe we didn't run high enough stiffness settings and that's making the camera drift some?

9. Carey Lee Coffey

Wow! It almost looks hand-held.

10. Tabb Firchau

Staff Member

Yep, I think the stiffness settings were very low and that coupled with majestic tilt being activated with a window setting that is too small.

Thanks!

Tabb

11. Bryan Vaughan

Bryan Vaughan New Member

Tabb,

After sending in a support ticket, I confirmed something that was clearly an issue for me and I think may be for other new MOVI owners. I read the manual and watched the video on initial tuning and majestic tuning. There isn't any mention that you have to upload changes to the MOVI to keep them past power down. So I did my initial set up the day before, then tweaked majestic settings a little before shooting. Because the MOVI instantly responds to any changes in the settings when you tune it, and saving wasn't mentioned, I assumed the MOVI was saving them on the fly. So I think what I ended up doing inadvertently was shooting with default stiffness settings, which would explain what I got. I should have caught it on site but it was only my second time using it. I think a mention of this in manual and video might be helpful.

12. Tabb Firchau

Staff Member

Great point Bryan, we will work to clarify that you need to 'write config' if you want the changes to be persistent.

Tabb

13. James Leonzio

James Leonzio Member

I'm a little unclear about the "write config" function as well. In order to tweak/fine tune a setup, then save that setup for use after powering down then powering back up, what is the best procedure? Currently I'm using the desktop app. Does that make it more complicated?

Also, are you guys planning on releasing an iPhone app as well? Just wondering if I should jump the Apple ship or not:)

14. Brad Meier

Brad Meier Active Member
    Staff Member

You do have to "write config" to save a configuration in the memory. Without saving it will revert to the last settings you had at initialization. Any adjustments you make in the software are real time but if you want those to save those for later use, write config.

The apple app discussion have been asked and covered previously in a few threads. Quick answer is that it's in the works but not coming immediately. Android tablets are fairly cheap right now and work well. I use a Nexus 7 specifically for the MoVI.