/dist/images/branding/favicon

Wireless FIZ systems for movi

Discussion in 'MōVI M10' started by Brendan Isaac, Sep 25, 2013.

1. Brendan Isaac

Brendan Isaac New Member

Hey guys,

What is everyone using for their focus and iris system?

I have been considering the RT MOTION system because of how small the receiver is but this company has been horrible to deal with and the wait is like 2 months. Takes about 3 emails to get a response out of them for anything. All the latest versions (version 3.1) apparent have fixed the distance issues.

Have seen the Red rock micro system but am disappointed that it is only one axis -- any one have experience with this. What is the test maximum range?

I think the MDR from a preston will be two heavy to mount on the stabilised axis which means another cable.

2. Sam Donaghy Bell

Brendan,

I would recommend Heden Engineering. The CAROT to be more precise. It's seems like the best bang for buck. We had been using a bigger heden bartec on another rig and it worked perfectly. The CAROT is much smaller and light. I'm expecting good things.

http://www.heden-engineering.com/

I steer clear of anything red rock..

Hope this helps.

3. ss kiran reddy

ss kiran reddy New Member

4. ss kiran reddy

ss kiran reddy New Member

Axis1 is a single axis system.

5. Loren Simons

Loren Simons Member

Brendan,

The microRemote has a 1 mile line-of-sight range now. During all of my shoots, I loose video signal long before I loose focus control. I've gone through concrete walls and entire houses though without any problems.

The only problem for you is as you point out, it is a single channel system. But the Freefly team has been shooting with the microRemote for a few months now and love it as you can see it in most of their BTS videos.

The microRemote is also for sale in the Freefly store.

6. Sam Donaghy Bell

What does every one think of the RT Motion? http://www.rtmotion.com/product/9000 . It jumps over the 2.4Ghz spectrum which would scare me a little when flying the CS8. What does everyone think? Safe enough?

Thanks,

Sam

7. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Sam you would need to test it. A question to the group, for those of you flying a camera, MoVI or other gimbal, do you run follow focus on the copter?

8. Sam Donaghy Bell

A good point Gary.

Unlikely to use focus on the copter but would be an nice option. I've just spend the last two hours looking through various remote focus system and I may need to with-draw my statement about the redrock micro.. If it does everything it says on the tin and works with the likes of Cookes and Zeiss primes I could be sold a piece..

9. Loren Simons

Loren Simons Member

Sam,

Well do let me know if you have any questions specifically;)

Here's all the cinema lenses I've personally used our motors on: Zeiss CP.2, Canon Cinema Prime, Canon Cinema Zoom, Canon Compact Zoom, Ultra Primes, Standard Speeds, Angenieux 12x. But I've heard some people using them on Cooke Primes as well well as the Angenieux DP Series.

Our motors have a great torque-size ratio. But if you ever need something with a bit more torque, the microRemote is compatible with other digital motors like the M-One and Heden, just plug and play with the same cable you use for our motor.

10. Sam Donaghy Bell

Hey Loren,

The lenses we will most likely be using on the higher end that will need the higher torque will be the cooke S4i and ultra primes.

My next question to you would be about range. 300ft is claimed in line of sight? Is that true?

Thanks,

Sam

11. Loren Simons

Loren Simons Member

Sam,

300ft was our old spec. We've since updated the wireless components and we're now spec'd at one mile line of sight, which is insane.

While I've of course never tried it at one mile, I've had no problems with the wireless signal since the upgrade. I've gone through an entire house, through a 2ft concrete wall, and also about 200ft away through a few walls, all worked great (in fact I loose wireless video long before I loose focus control).

12. Sam Donaghy Bell

That is pretty insane... What RF frequency does it go over?

This might be weird question to answer but the micro seems to offer everything the RT motion does. Why is it such a small price?

Thanks,

Sam

13. Loren Simons

Loren Simons Member

Sam,

We have 16 user selectable sub-channels in the 2.4ghz spectrum.

Not an odd question at all. Redrock's always been the leader in owner/operator priced gear, so when we saw this huge price gap in the wireless follow focus market, we aimed to fill it starting 4 years ago. A lot of hard work later, and we built what I believe is the best valued wireless follow focus available, all out of the good ol' US of A;)

However, I'm sure some of the additional cost of the RT system goes to the fact that it can support up to 3 motors simultaneously, while the microRemote is only a single channel system, which is all I find I need for a majority of my shoots.

14. Sam Donaghy Bell

So the redrock won't interfere with flying a copter with a 2.4Ghz controller? I have to admit I agree that the only difference I see is the multi-motor capability.

Very pushed now..

15. Loren Simons

Loren Simons Member

I couldn't say for sure it won't interfere with your copter, but I've been able to run 3 microRemote's in the same room without them interfering with each other, so I would presume so, but as Gary says, there are a lot of other factors to take into account in your environment.

But it would probably be worth picking up this handy device, the Oscium WiPry for $99, to make sure your two channels are as far away from each other as possible.

And to be fair there are a few more differences between the microRemote and other systems. The microRemote has our incredibly small and lightweight motor which is perfect for the MoVi, the ability to power a paralinx or teradek transmitter from the basestation, and user adjustable electronic backlash adjustment.

;)

Sam Donaghy Bell likes this.
  16. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Sam until you test your exact setup you won't know whether you have interference. Location of receivers, transmitters, etc all play together, sometimes not very nicely.

Sam Donaghy Bell likes this.