/dist/images/branding/favicon

Red Scarlet on sale for 7100.00 at RED

Discussion in 'Cameras' started by Tabb Firchau, Oct 14, 2012.

1. Tabb Firchau

Tabb Firchau Administrator
    Staff Member

CineChopper likes this.
  2. Chris Newman

Chris Newman Member

Hey Tabb! I also grabbed one! Can you power the scarlet with a lipo? If so what Lipo? 3s 4s? Do I use this cable? http://www.red.com/store/products/4-pin-00-lemo-to-flying-lead
    Connect red to red and black to black?

How long does a quadrocopter 4s battery usually power a scarlet for? I'm still looking into accessories and seeing what I really need. Appreciate your help!

3. Josh Lambeth

Josh Lambeth Well-Known Member

Wish i could pick one up!

Josh

4. Guilherme Barbosa

Guilherme Barbosa Distributor

Now need to setup one of the cs8 to fly this new baby......
    It is a great investment if you can, there are used scarlets been sold on the market for higher prices without warranty.

5. Katya Nelhams-Wright

Tabb how do you like the Scarlet over the C500? We have a C300 and are going to swop it in for a 4K upgrade so have ordered the Scarlet but not sure as we make TV docs most of the time and I hear the Scarlet is not great for that. Any thoughts on Scarlet vs C500 and also the Canon 1DC. Unfortunately can't afford an Epic!:)
    Kat

6. Tabb Firchau

Tabb Firchau Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi Kat, so far I LOVE the C500. Image is just lovely and camera is a pleasure to use. The only thing that is a pain is writing to the external recorder for 4K.

I have not used a Scarlet yet so can't really say. On the EPIC the results are stunning but it can be a pain to use in fast paced jobs where i prefer something like the FS100 where I can go out with a handful of cards and a few batteries and shoot all day with no fuss.

On the 1DC I think Canon is sending us one soon, will advise when I test it.

7. Katya Nelhams-Wright

Thanks:) Trying to balance something with good 4K capabilities for the copter but also good results at 1080 25p as that is most of what we do. I have read that the scarlet does not do so well at the lower resolution end. How is the C500 on the cinestar? Does a regular C8 set up cope with the weight fine? Wait for your thoughts on the 1DC. I am going to an Canon open day here in London with all the C range but hard to tell at those things as only get a chance to look at stuff on the tripod in a studio setting and good to hear from people like yourselves with use in the field.
    Thanks
    Kat

8. Katya Nelhams-Wright

Sorry for all the questions. The C300 price has just dropped here and we have finished the job we were using it on so if there is ever a time to trade it in it's now!
    Kat

9. Janne Hoglund

Janne Hoglund Member

10. Josh Lambeth

WOW!!! Wonder what it would weigh?

Josh

11. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Can't find the weight anywhere yet....
    Andy.

12. Howard Dapp

Howard Dapp Active Member

Now this is a REAL game changer us. Looks like Sony really stepped it up. First camera i've been excited about for aerial use since the FS100. High speed HD, 2k and 4K global shutter? Sounds very lovely for aerial use. Just by looking at the body and 4K box I doubt it's heavier than an aerial ready Epic.

13. Hugh Bell

Hugh Bell Administrator
    Staff Member

The cameras weigh about 4.5lbs (body), and measure 7 1/8 x 7 7/8 x 12 1/4 inches.

14. Josh Lambeth

mmmmmmmmmmm..................................................... DO WANT ONE NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

15. Howard Dapp

As I said...game changer. I'm just blown away by the specs.

**even more excited now knowing that it's capable of onboard (non raw) 4k capture at 60 fps and HD or 2k at up to 180fps using using Sony's new codec and media. So no need for the external recorder if you're not capturing raw 4k. All under 20 grand? Nothing else matters to me now. Forward leaps of this magnitude is great for the industry, RED just announced that they will drop the price of the Epic...interesting.

16. Howard Dapp

In-depth look at the F55 (video) Note the handling at :48. Doesn't 'appear' too hefty.
    [​IMG]