/dist/images/branding/favicon

Clockwise Yaw INOP. All ideas welcome.

Discussion in 'Cinestar 8' started by MIke Magee, Sep 14, 2013.

1. Casey Van Nyhuis

No problem, on Mike's i think i did 3 separate holes (one for each motor wire) i think next time i'm just going to do 1 bigger hole and braid the motor wires. After drilling the holes i recommend taking a q-tip with extra thin CA glue and putting it on the edges of the hole to help keep the carbon from delaminating. A rubber grommet is also highly recommended to keep the carbon from rubbing through the motor wires. It will obviously weaken your boom a little but after seeing all the crashed kopters i've seen in the office, i'm starting to find that in the crashes where the booms break it helps keep the center plate from deforming at impact and might save your distribution ring from getting tweaked or bent. Much easier to replace a boom rather then possibly a center plate or distribution ring!

2. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

The other option is to braid the motor wires tightly, and run them down the outside of the boom. You may elect to shorten the motors wires though as this routing makes the wires a bit too long for the distance -- but it certainly makes it easier to connect/disconnect them.

Andy.

3. Casey Van Nyhuis

Sounds good Mike, If we don't learn anything more with the brushless controller test tomorrow i'd say it would be a good idea to pick up a new flight control and get it on the way if possible. It's a real bummer to have to shell out the money for one but it'll pay off to have a spare as i'm sure your finding now. Bummer we didn't see any change with the motors moved but the information is valuable non the less. Isn't deductive reasoning fun? Welcome to the multirotor world, right? ;) haha

4. Casey Van Nyhuis

True, definitely makes life easier but i've found picking the kopter up is a bit more bothersome unless you can shrink wrap your whole boom. Whole lot less of a pain to do though!

5. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Don't try and stick your fingers in the braided wires, dude! <really, really evil grin>

But you're right -- I run them along the top of the booms with black cable ties every six inches. They have to be black cable ties, too, you know. Black helicopters. Black cable ties. Work with me here. :)

Andy.

6. MIke Magee

MIke Magee Active Member

Casey, The testing is complete. Here is exactly what I did, as well as the results.

I moved the booms back and re-releveled the props
    I attached boom1 to BL2 and put a regular prop on it.
    I attached boom 2 to BL3 and put a pusher on it
    And so forth.

The problem remains the same. Counter clockwise works and clockwise does not. What does this tell you? Are there further tests that need to be done?

SO what are your thoughts?

7. Casey Van Nyhuis

Hey Mike,
    Near as i can tell that tells us it's the flight control. There's always still a chance it could be something else but it's all pointing to that right now. I'm not sure what could be causing it though. I don't think the flight control uses the accelerometers or gyros to govern yaw speed so it shouldn't even influence the kopter while manually yawing. As one last resort can you just double check and make sure there are no wires to close to your flight control? Might be getting some EMI from something. Also, try re-installing your firmware just as a shot in the dark. If there's no change i think i'm officially out of ideas o_O

8. MIke Magee

MIke Magee Active Member

No Joy. I just ordered one. Could you ask them to get it out today Casey?

9. Casey Van Nyhuis

Just talked to Sarah, she says we are having a huge shipping day but it should go out. Fingers crossed that it solves the problem when it gets to you. If it does, just fill out an RMA with Riley and we'll get it off to Mikrokopter to see what they can do, with any luck we'll be able to see what's causing it without sending it to MK.

10. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Be sure to let us know if the replacement FC solves the problem, Mike.
    Thanks
    Andy.

11. MIke Magee

MIke Magee Active Member

I will Andy.

And, I will certainly remember to only use the black zipties on the Cinestar. I'll toss all the grey ones I have immediately.

12. MIke Magee

MIke Magee Active Member

Bad news. It's not the FC. I'll update the problem record on the QC site. Out of town for the next 2 dys, but PLEASE put on your thinking cap regarding how to diagnose and correct this. I've been down a week and really can't afford more than 2.

What else could it be? I'll bind a second MX20 and eliminate that. (although it was definitely getting the signals and wagging the channel. )

Please let me know what else to test.

-m

13. Casey Van Nyhuis

And you did say you have the navi and GPS disconnected and are only running the flight control correct?

14. MIke Magee

MIke Magee Active Member

I had not tried that Casey, but now just disconnected them from the Boom GPS/MAG to test. Same problem.

Bummer.

15. Casey Van Nyhuis

wow....hmmm. I don't know if there's anything else i can possibly think of without having it on my own desk to tinker and just start swapping things out.

The only other thing i'd try is taking off and flying it again. Maybe it's just something bizarre going on while it's on the ground and the first flight where the yaw was weird was just a coincidence.

16. MIke Magee

MIke Magee Active Member

I launched a Cinestar into the air. Where she lands I know not where. (precisely anyway)

I'm puzzled too. Let me give that a try on Sunday (or maybe late Saturday.)

Thanks Casey. I appreciate the timely responses.

-m

17. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Hmmm. If replacing the FC doesn't change the problem, then, a bit like Sherlock Holmes, we're forced to contemplate the other components however unlikely they seem.

So:
    1. Transmitter.
    2. Receiver.
    3. Power distribution board.
    4. BL Controls.
    5. I2C bus cabling (I feel I'm getting rather desperate at this point....)

What's left?

Andy.

18. MIke Magee

MIke Magee Active Member

Andy, when I get back, I can change out 1 & 2. (I have a spare MX20 setup)
    I doubt 5 because it flies well in all other directions.
    I should eliminate 3 & 4 because it flies well in all other directions.

But at this point I'm suspecting 3&4. I don't have spares there. Any ideas on how to diagnose these further?

THANKS for opining.

-m

19. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Hi Mike: The only thing I'd do right now is swap them out and see if the symptom changes. Then dig in further if it does.

My pleasure to opine. As I tell folks, I do opinions, my wife does facts. ;)

Andy.

20. Sebastian Meredith

Sebastian Meredith Active Member

Mike,

Quick question ... not a solution, but it might spark something overlooked. I might ramble on non-sensically as I spew might though process out, but its just "another stab in the dark"

On the actual fight, when trying to yaw clockwise, does the copter hold its altitude or does it drop or rise?

As I understand the mechanics of multirotors when yawing in either direction its due to difference in spin speed between the push props and pull props which dictate the direction of the yaw. I'm not sure which is responsible for making the copter yaw left and which for right.
    So, if for argument sake, the pushers are responsible for yawing counterclockwise and the pullers responsible for yawing clockwise, then it might be help to check the BL controllers connected to the motors with the puller props on.

In your video the motor speeds sound the same when you try yawing clockwise ... sounds like they all spinning the same speed. That's why I ask if the copter maintains altitude when trying to yaw clockwise.

Again ... I not this is not a solution, just some thoughts that hopefully spark a fix for your problem.