/dist/images/branding/favicon

Interesting problems/missing pieces to overcome I've discovered so far...

Discussion in 'MōVI M10' started by J Griffin Ricker, Sep 12, 2013.

1. J Griffin Ricker

Definitely need a Spektrum/Ninja(or whatever) combo holder for the operator. If somebody wants to make them, I'll buy one.

RedRock MicroRemote cables are entirely too heavy, too stiff and too short. Really just need a longer, thinner version of the cable that goes from the lens motor to the base station. Also need a legit LiPo to Redrock base station Power cable.

Lenses that extend and retract to focus throw everything completely out of balance - for example the Zeiss ZF 2's. The 35mm is the most drastic example I've found thus far.

I'm an experienced Steadicam operator and this is significantly more complicated. I get it, it's great but there are so many moving pieces, understanding of software, balancing, LiPo care etc that I don't see any way you could just hand it over to somebody as a rental and expect them to be happy or not to break something. As a rental you'd also have to provide a ludicrous amount of ancillary gear to make it all work and have 3 people to operate. I don't want to say it's under sold - I knew exactly what it was going to be - but I think on the surface to people it looks like it's a simple one man show. Far from it. There's a guy in another thread that wants to rent one to take somewhere far, far away and after one day with it, I don't know how that would work. (Not really a problem with a good solution, it's more of an observation).

Need an adjustable hot shoe mount option on the top for Zoom H4/6's and/or digital tape measures.

Could also use some instructions for a few of the pieces that come in the kit. Google sorted it out mostly but some things I'm still not sure of like; What is the thin black cable in the bag for?

How do you mount this inverted so it can be used on a Steadicam arm? (That was a selling point - I'd probably never do it, but I don't see how you could).

Also need some way to mount it to the end of a crane. Would make a great powerpod if there was a legit way to attach it. Maybe a series of top handles designed for different mounts?

There's no HUD in the Mac version of the software or 'pan majestic span'.

As I find more things I'll add them below;

*** Spectrum manual says the receiver came with a 128MB SD card for recording settings. I didn't see it.

***How does one record telemetry with the current gear and then incorporate it into the post process? Just curious.

2. Wolfgang Armin

Wolfgang Armin Active Member

Thanks for the insight!
    Upside down use is also something I´m very interested in.
    While I´m used to DIY and guess I could build something. How do you actually get it upside down. Is there something that has to be adjusted in the software, or do you just turn it upside down and that´s it? With the 3-axis gimbal the latter didn´t work. That´s why I ask.

3. Chris Durkee

Chris Durkee Member

Good points. I would also love for different top handles to mount to things like cranes or even tripods or c-stands. I'd like to see a quick release mount to a tripod or c-stand. From the couple things I've done with it, I'd like to have a resting place where it can still be utilized as a shot (mainly for filming live events). Mount it and switch to dual operator and control the pan and tilt.

Interesting points on the FF. I handled a prototype MOVI with a redrock attached and didn't even think to see how they had it set up.

Ultimately you are right. I'll be surprised if people think they can just rent and start using. There is no way I'm renting mine out with out me behind the controls.

4. Chris Durkee

Chris Durkee Member

yea... what is the black cable for? just an extra?

5. Austin Glass

Austin Glass Active Member

I think they've been mounting the RR base station on the gimbal. It would be a lot easier to get a thin power cable than to find a thin lemo that would work. That said, I'd much prefer to mount the base station on the handles rather than the gimbal.

6. J Griffin Ricker

Good call. Would be nice to not have to dismantle it for a couple of locked off shots and/or would be cool to use as it as a remote head.

7. J Griffin Ricker

Looks like that black cable is for manually binding the transmitter to the receiver.

8. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

The extra black cable is supplied as a replacement for one of the motor control to motor cables in case you snag one. The Mini SD cards were not in the case. They failed quality inspection. The manual will be updated that they are not included. Hot Shoe mount, see Adam's post from yesterday about a clamp with a ball adjustment. A manual hot shoe could be put on the 1/4-20. Pretty sure that additional clamps will be added to the store along with other items that are in development.

Any thing that changes the balance point like a zoom or other items added even something like a lens shade will change balance. Isn't the same true for a steadicam to some degree?

Mac and Android do not have the HUD. Only Windows.

Personal opinion is that lots of mounts for different situations are going to be created.