/dist/images/branding/favicon

Do you own more than one camera? Which do you like best?

Discussion in 'Cameras' started by Nick Adams, Sep 11, 2013.

1. Nick Adams

Nick Adams Member

This is a post directly aimed at people that are luck enough to have used more than one camera on their rig.
    I have a couple of 5ds, I tried out a GH3 the other day and I loved it. Then I started to wonder if there are other
    cameras out there that I would "love"

Obvious choices would be:
    PJ790 series
    GH2/3
    5d's

I know a couple of the guys on the forums have several cameras, If you had to pick just one camera that you own (or have owned) for flying on a multirotor which one would it be?

(I am specifically thinking about HD video as opposed to stills as I don't think the 5d can be beaten in that department)

Cheers,

Nick

2. Kristian C

Kristian C Member

I've used a Mark II & III, T3i, and GH3. I absolutely love the GH3 which is my main camera. The 1080 60p coupled with an intervalometer and it's light weight (which leads to extended flight times) makes it an easy choice to have on my gimbal at all times without having to constantly re-balance the 3-axis.

Drew Kachurak likes this.
  3. Nick Adams

Nick Adams Member

Thats good to know, Kristian, Thanks

4. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

I am in a similar situation as Kristian C, plus I have a Sony CX760V. While the Sony clearly is the most forgiving of all of them when it comes to tolerating a badly balanced gimbal (ask me how I know :)), I just don't care for the quality of the files I get from it. The bitrate isn't quite high enough, and the colors and DOF just make it look a cut below the others. With the 72 megabit data rate at 24P and the nice 60P option, the GH3 and 12-35 lens combo has won me over for video. I'm building a brushless gimbal that I hope will allow me to fly the 5D Mark III more easily by switching out the whole gimbal, because that body gives me a lot more flexibility for lens choice, and the stills quality tramples all over the GH3.

5. Drew Kachurak

Drew Kachurak Member

I agree with Kristian, we are using the GH3 as our main camera too. Have a 60D and used it when we first got started - worked well but the GH3 is a lot better in performance and especially, weight. I think its over 1lb. lighter than our 60D setup.

6. Nick Adams

Nick Adams Member

Steve, thats exactly what I wanted to know. I thought that maybe the case with the 760. I called B&H yesterday and asked if there was a pro camera (whatever that means:)) with the B.O.S.S stabilization feature and they came up with the NX30 http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/853433-REG/Sony_HXR_NX30_HD_Compact_Camcorder.html It would seem that the only difference between this and the consumer grade cameras was the ability to record pro audio. The sales guy even said that he thought it would be identical picture quality. I asked about the Canon line up and he said that the XA10/20 series had decent stabilization but not as good as Sonys. This really all came about as I am still in the process of trying to get smooth footage out of my 5D and I am sort of done with it. I don't want to start a whole new Radian thread, It could be me thats doing something wrong but I need to start putting this thing to work and its not there yet.
    I used the GH3 the other day and it was waaay sharper and much more stable than the 5d. So I am wondering wether just to get another camera and if so which one to get.

Cheers Steve, Good info.

Nick

Steve Maller likes this.
  7. Nick Adams

Nick Adams Member

Th
    Thanks Drew, another vote GH3.