/dist/images/branding/favicon

Introduce yourself.

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Hugh Bell, Jun 29, 2012.

1. Scott Stemm

Scott Stemm Member

Welcome ken,
    Where in Florida are you? I pass through there quite often in the Tampa and Miami area

2. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Ken: Welcome to the forum. This isn't really the right part of the forum for your question, but rather than be bureaucratic about it... :)

Carefree mode has some nasty unintended consequences: If you ever fly with Carefree Mode on, and the copter flies behind you, then the roll and nick (nose up/down) become reversed -- and that's a surefire method for a crash unless (a) you've trained to fly with control reversal, and (b) you know it's going to happen.

The fundamental problem is that all pilot input is aircraft-relative in RC, not pilot-relative. I'd recommend you get AerosimRC (http://www.quadrocopter.com/AeroSIM-RC--Flight-Simulator_p_365.html) and use your MX-20 to learn to get used to control reversal. Once you do get used to it, it becomes second nature and you'll wonder what the problem was. Until you get used to it, always fly nose out (boom #1 away).

For assigning controls to the MX-20 check out page 52 of the manual. It walks you through the process. A PDF version of the manual is on this page http://www.graupner.de/en/products/...2ebefc64e1c1/33124/product.aspx?tab=downloads under "Programming Manual."

Hope this helps
    Andy.

3. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Ken welcome. Nothing wrong with carefree. But the landscape is littered with pilots that only know how to fly in automated modes. As soon as the automation takes a hike with electronic gremlins the result is usually pretty costly.

To assign a switch you need to determine which channel you have available, assign the switch (on/off) to the channel on the MX-20. Then in MKTools on the Channels screen determine which channel is assigned to the Poti value. Example Channel 12 is assigned to Poti 8 usually by default. Then on Misc tab change the Carefree Control to Poti 8. Also check the teachable Carefree Box.

Carefully read how Carefree works and my caution is that you turn it on and off when the copter is out about 20m. If it is on and you come home to land there is the chance that it will get into the situation of reverse controls. This happens specifically if it passes behind you but have heard of it happening in front. Likely the home position based on GPS has drifted a bit and suddenly it thinks it passed home.

4. Ken Green

Ken Green New Member

Hey Scott, I live in Boca Raton ... Let me know when your around
    Ken

5. Ken Green

Ken Green New Member

Andy thanks for the reply and great info. I'll check that site. I have the aero sim program. It's helped a lot. I noticed the control reversal while flying the sim. Just seems to me the reverse controls are easier than constantly trying to keep the #1 boom pointed away from you. But I'm new so .....
    Thanks again ken

6. Ken Green

Ken Green New Member

Gary thank you sir. Great info. Very new at this ... So taking it slow. Great explanation regarding gps position drift and control reversal. Proceeding with cautious confidence. Great to be part of this group and forum. Thank you .... ken

7. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

If you find that control reversal comes naturally, you're one of the lucky one's Ken. But remember what you said when you first have the Cinestar up above you and it heads off in the "wrong" direction. Don't panic. Engage Altitude Hold and Position Hold as fast as you can and let your pulse rate come back to normal. Then re-establish orientation and disable AH and PH and resume normal navigation. :)
    Andy.

8. Norbert Blenk

Norbert Blenk Member

Hello everybody,

my name is Norbert. I live in the south of Germany near Munich.
    I am working as a Cameraman and DP for the last twenty years and i am very interested in the Mõvi and very looking forward to get one...

9. Bryan Vaughan

Bryan Vaughan New Member

Hi,

I'm Bryan Vaughan, Founder of HomeVisit.com (http://www.homevisit.com). We specialize in real estate photography and just this week took delivery of our first MOVI-10. It's already opening a world of possibilities. We used it for the first time yesterday in a 27,000 square foot house and the things we did were impossible any other way!

10. Maël ANDRE

Maël ANDRE New Member

Hi,
    We are from France. We are the founder of Movi.fr. We love Movi. We are a lot of thing to learn (equipment, etc) but it's damn good.

11. Brenda Neary

Brenda Neary New Member

Hi Everyone. I am Brenda Neary of Red Dirt Productions. WE make promotional films mainly for nonprofit organizations. Blown away by the Movi-10.

12. Adam Howarth

Adam Howarth New Member

Greetings readers, I'm Adam, experienced as 1st/2nd AC for cine and CCU-op/TD for TV. I am one of three partners that are building a business inspired by MõVI. I will likely have a few questions now and then, and if I'm able to give back to the community occasionally I shall.

13. Rod Hartzog

Rod Hartzog Member

Hello from the Bay area! I'm Rod Hartzog and happy to be a new owner of a CS-8 w/ 3 axis and patiently awaiting the arrival of an MR!
    A big thank you to everyone in Columbia Falls at QC for a great week to build it and the much needed advice... looking forward to Freefly announcing a heavy lifter. The Epic must fly!!

14. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

Hi Rod! Where are you in the Bay Area? My studio's in Burlingame and I live in Half Moon Bay. Welcome!

15. Rod Hartzog

Rod Hartzog Member

Hi Steve and thank you; I live in Fairfax and travel to Half Moon Bay on occasion and appreciate the production value in your backyard!

16. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

Next time you're over this way, give me a holler!

17. Lyle Bogoratt

Lyle Bogoratt New Member

Greeting everyone. I am Chief Camerman for NBC Network News in New York. Very much impressed with the MoVI, its design,engineering and capabilities. One of my colleagues just purchased a rig, I had the pleasure of flying the MoVI (you can tell I am a Steadicam operator. I Can't wait to get one.

18. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Welcome to the forum, Lyle. As you say, the MōVI is a little kinder on your back than the Steadicam (and corners better!) -- but you'll still need to do some upper-body exercises for your arms and shoulders, depending on the "throw weight" of the final MōVI configuration.

Andy.

19. Sam Nuttmann

Sam Nuttmann New Member

Hi everyone! My name is Sam, I work at Freefly. I use the MōVI out in the field quite a bit, as well as provide training clinics around the globe. Let me know if I can help you out with anything!

20. Jair Guillen

Jair Guillen Member

Hello, my name is Jair and i´m from Peru, South America. I will be a future MOVI M10 operator, we just do the pre order and i really excited! This Forum sounds really great, if there are a M10 Training course please let me know, i´m very interested.
    Kind regards for all.