/dist/images/branding/favicon

MOVI -- Competitors

Discussion in 'MōVI M10' started by Lliam Worthington, Sep 4, 2013.

1. Brett Harrison

Brett Harrison Active Member

Awesome.

2. Chuy Valadez

Chuy Valadez New Member

Crap. I just bought the DC Power Cable for RED and Hyperion G3 2500mAh 4S/25C Lipo from Quadrcopter. Should I cancel my order? I DO NOT want to be blowing up REDs!

Would inserting a Redrcok micro Powerpack to regulate voltage help or am I just asking for trouble?

3. Robert Marks

Robert Marks Member

Is there an answer to this question? At least an estimation?

4. Carey Lee Coffey

Great minds think alike! I was just thinking of mounting the battery on the side of the camera yesterday!

Maybe this will even work with the taller V Mount batteries. In which case I would rather invest in the more cost effective V mount set-up.

If the V mount battery is still too tall, even when mounted on the side of the camera, it could possibly be mounted horizontally? What do you think Tabb?

5. Carey Lee Coffey

The other benefit of mounting the battery on the side of the camera is that the d tap would be right next to the wireless FF.

6. Lliam Worthington

Does the AB setup have two d taps?

7. Lliam Worthington

Posts like these really seem to bare out what Tabb has posted about MOVI being well ahead of the game to me.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    First impressions:I’ve heard that these brushless gimbals are a lot simpler to learn than traditional stabilizers like the Merlin or Glidecam but that is absolutely not true in the case of the Defy G2. Yes, balancing is simpler and doesn’t take more than a few minutes but I found getting a nice stable image to be just as hard if not harder than the Merlin or Glidecam.The Defy G2 is simple to set up. It comes in a nice laser cut Pelican case, pre-assembled and ready to go. Just attach your handles, plug in your batteries, balance your camera and your up and flying in minutes.The Defy G2 can look great once you figure out it’s kinks and limitations.

8. Carey Lee Coffey

That's why the Defy was never even a blip on my radar.

9. Carey Lee Coffey

Here's another one that just sprouted up:

http://birdsiproductions.com/store/steadifly-gimbal-system/

While I'm not impressed with their presentation, I do like their plan to balance the rig:

"-Axis Locking for Balancing: If you have never balanced a camera gimbal before you don’t realize what actually needs to be done and how difficult it can be at times. With this in mind, the SteadiFly will have the ability to lock each axis in order to help balance the other axis’s. An example would be to lock the pan and roll axis while balancing the tilt axis. Once the tilt is balanced you can lock the tilt and unlock the roll. This will help eliminate the camera “flopping” all around while your working on the other axis. It will also help during transportation on set when the stabilizer is not powered up."

Is this something Freefly will be able to implement into their design?

10. Carey Lee Coffey

I also like their quick release plan. This is another option I'd love to see implemented into the MōVI:

"-Arri Dovetail: During development of our new system, people have expressed a concern with transitioning between sticks and the SteadiFly on shoots with only one camera. By incorporating an industry standard mounting system such as the Arri Dovetail into our design, we will make it easier to move your camera from sticks to the SteadiFly and back. Just take off a few easy parts rather than everything. We are planning on releasing other types of quick release plates/adaptors once the stabilizer has been released."

11. Wolf Schiebel

Wolf Schiebel Active Member

...i guess some velcro straps will work for the locking axis job, the dovetail might be to heavy i guess....

12. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

The 'flopping' issue is a bit overblown. Yes the axis on the gimbal moves very freely. But after a couple of times doing the setup and learning where and what to hold the gimbal it is a non issue. Especially if you are using the same cameras most of the time. Make some notes on where the roll beam is located left/right, same with the set point for the vertical tilt and the change of lens/camera/ etc is very quick and you won't be 'flopping'. Once it is balanced even powered off and moving around it is still balanced so isn't 'flopping'.

Take a look at Tabb's Tilt video. Notice the use of the clamp and how he positions his hands. It's easier when you have the camera pointing directly at you rather then sideways for the video shoot. After you do the balance a couple of times it is very quick.

13. Tabb Firchau

Tabb Firchau Administrator
    Staff Member

If people want them we can easily make some locking features to retain various axes while balancing. No problem....we use them in the shop here when building / wiring gimbals.

Tabb

Carey Lee Coffey likes this.
  14. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

I think that would be a great idea, Tabb. (Might need some red "Remove before flight" ribbon to avoid leaving the clamps in place!)

To pickup the MōVI when it's not energized, I just put my fingers under the pan motor, and my thumb on top of the hand-grip tube clamps and that stabilizes the gimbal enough to move it around one-handed.

Andy.

15. Jeff Scholl

Jeff Scholl Distributor

"I think that would be a great idea, Tabb. (Might need some red "Remove before flight" ribbon to avoid leaving the clamps in place!)"

Yep, nothing more embarrassing than your cam operator asking why there is no pan after you take off :)

Cheers,
    Jeff

16. MIke Magee

MIke Magee Active Member

Lets go up there together Chris.

17. Adam Paugh

Adam Paugh Distributor

Hey Andy,
    From the sounds of it, you seem to be missing a critical new piece of equipment in your signature there. Question is: will it be placed before or after Forensic Software Analyst ?

Greetings,
    Adam

18. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Good point, Adam. Being British, one does like to flaunt, does one? ;)

Forensic Software Analyst is still my "day job" until the FAA issues some FAR for UAVs (how's that for alphabet soup)?

Andy

19. Carey Lee Coffey

I would love this!

20. Jose Luis Ocejo

Jose Luis Ocejo Active Member

Hi to all I have been a Steadicam operator for many years and I don't have a Movi yet, but I must say that on professional sets is is very important to have reliable gear, proven gear, with minimum compromises to get the shots done, once an AD says you are up, its show time, you have to perform, you must not have technical issues at that moment, specially, your mind has to be at ease that no issues will pop up in order to really enjoy the shot and focus in the creative and logistics of the shot, I think 15K is fair investment for a well research tested and develop product remember reputation is one of your most valuable assets to take great care off