/dist/images/branding/favicon

Custom Case for MōVI

Discussion in 'MōVI M10' started by Tabb Firchau, Sep 9, 2013.

1. Tabb Firchau

Tabb Firchau Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi Guys,

We are getting some custom cases made for the MōVI and I was curious how you would best like the Case kitted out?
    • MōVI fully built or folded flat?
    • Accesories
    • All one big case or 2 smaller?
    Any other thoughts would love to hear them!
    Tabb

Drew Kachurak likes this.
  2. Chuck Taylor

Chuck Taylor New Member

Well I'm not sure how big 'big' is, but I like the idea of one for when it is folded flat as I travel a lot with my kit. I of course can see the appeal of having it packed away fully built, so that you can be up and running quicker, but people might want to customize a case like that further to accommodate a camera they usually have mounted on it for example.

3. Drew Kachurak

Drew Kachurak Member

Ideally, 1 case so we can fold it flat and fit accessories. maybe a 'layered' case?

4. Chris Durkee

Chris Durkee Member

I'd like one case for the Movi and maybe one for the Transmitter. I'd like to keep my monitor and receiver with the transmitter.

5. Carey Lee Coffey

My vote is for a single case that holds everything the MōVI ships with, plus accessories.

I would prefer to be able to put it in its case fully built, so that I am ready to rock immediately - as long as it is secure.

6. Hikari Homma

Hikari Homma Member

I vote to small case. Not fully build but small size case is fine for me.
    I think it's very easy to build up.
    In case of this, space for Wireless transmitter RC is not needed. But instead of that, some space for small monitor is needed. This thinking is based on Majestic Mode.
    And another case is for other Monitor and Receiver and Transmitter and RC.

I think these kind of idea is needed but not just talk who prefer all in one case or separate case. Then we could fix best case for MoVI I think.

7. Chris mierzwinski

I'd like a single case with movi built. Case nice and tight with room for some accessories. Transmitter, remote focus motor and maybe a monitor. Basicly whatever would normally stay on the movi. Things like wireless remote control would not fit on.

Single case with the movi built.

8. Hikari Homma

Hikari Homma Member

Is it easy to separate the handle and re-build it? If it's so, I remove handle and bring it with soft case for tripod with MoVI stand. In my eyes, length of handle making everything difficult. I want to remove it and use tripod case because anyway I have to bring MoVI stand.
    And maybe kind of Pelican 1510 for the rest of the parts.

9. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Hikari-san:
    Yes. It's easy to remove undo the clamps on the short top handle and also easy to undo the four screws that hold the hand grip boom.

For the short top handle, you loosen just four screws and pull it out of a pair of boom clamps. For the hand grip boom, you can either undo four central bolts and remove the handle and the two central boom clamps (removing the boom clamps reduces the height of the MR by about 3cm).

Alternatively, if you'd rather keep the wide handle's boom clamps in place, then you can loosen the "knuckle" (like a boom clamp) on one of the hand grips, remove that, and then slide the wide handle out from the central boom clamps.

If you use an electric screwdriver, you can remove both handles in less than about 30 seconds.

Andy.

10. Hikari Homma

Hikari Homma Member

Andy-san,
    Thank you for quick response. Then probably I remove each handle and I bring the wide handle with MoVI stand (wide handle must be covered with something).
    I'm living in Tokyo and I have to take train many time because sometimes train is much faster than car. And I will be kicked out if I take train with big Pelican case. That's why I prefer small case. I think all in one big case is better for guys who bring it by a car.

But in my case, I will remove each handles and bring the wide handle with MoVI stand. Then I gonna buy Pelican 1510 or 1560. And will make it 2 layered. 1st layer is for MoVI and their parts (battery, RC etc...) and 2nd layer is for Palalinx and monitor. I gonna take photo and upload it if I made my own case. But ofcourse still I'm interested in Freefly original case for MoVI.

I have question.
    1. Some extra screws is included in M10? I think many photographer have experience such as lost some screws. So it's very kindly for woho come MoVI owner if some extra each type of screw was included.

2. Could I buy wide handle as a option? I was feeling wide handle is too wide for me when I used MoVI in open house seminar. It's wider than my body. I'm not so big. I think the wide handle must be shorter than width of your body. Probably more shorter handle is easy to control for me I guess. So I want to try to cut it but also want to keep original length one. Is it no problem if I cut 5cm or something for make the wide handle shorter?
    And if I cut the wide handle, then perhaps it gonna be good fit with Pelican 1610.

11. Tabb Firchau

Tabb Firchau Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi Hikari,

1. Yes the MōVI includes extra screws!

2. If you want to reduce the size of the handles you can cut the handle tube slightly or we can sell you a shorter one. Keep in mind that with a shorter tube the handles will hit as you try to pan around but this is not usually an issue since the operator is turning with the camera lens.

Best,

Tabb

12. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Hikari-san:
    To add to what Tabb said, if you do choose to cut the boom you will need to use a "wet tile cutter" -- the water will keep the carbon fiber dust down.

The best solution, though, is, as Tabb suggested, to just buy a shorter boom.

As for the "tsukin jigoku," ("commuter hell" as the subway is known), just ask the Train Pushers (who are hired to push people into the carriages), to push extra hard -- the Pelican case will help clear a space around you! <grin>

Regards
    Andy

13. Hikari Homma

Hikari Homma Member

Andy,
    Oh you know many about Japan. Yes commuter hell is problem for me. Actually there is not so crazy commuter hell like a past but still I hesitate take a train with big MoVI case. So I have to make my own custom case though I want to have Freefly original one. But if you send some sticker to me, then my case seems like a original one :)

Anyway in US and Europe, probably they bring MoVI with their own car. So situation is totally different I think.

I tried checked what length is best for me. 430mm is best for the wide handle because this is width of my body(kind of shoulder width). I don't know if this is too short and grip will hit to motor or not. But I'm very interested in control MoVI with best fit handle length. You think 430mm is too short? What is original length?

This is thread for custom case so better talk about this in other place?

14. Christopher Barrett

I'd go folded for travel. The box it comes in is already getting big. What would the measurements be for a case that holds a built unit? I'm guessing custom means ATA style? That's already going to be heavy for the folded version.

For accessories, I would likely do a separate case that holds the Remote rig, already built with monitor and wireless receiver attached.

CB

15. Carey Lee Coffey

Having a long tube and shorter tube makes a lot of sense. As long as it's easy to switch them out. A shorter tube might come in handy for car interiors or other tight spaces. That's a good accessory to sell in your store. I'm sure you'll sell hundreds of them.

Hikari Homma likes this.
  16. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Hikari-san:
    The current hand-grip tube is 555 mm.

If you use a shorter hand-grip tube of 430 mm, the hand grips will be so close to the rotating part of the MōVI, that it will not be able to fold flat -- the upper horizontal boom of the MōVI will hit one of the hand-grips as it tries to come parallel with the hand-grip tube.

Of course, you could always loosen the clamps that hold the hand-grip tube to the top of the pan motor assembly, slide the hand grip tube to one side about 10mm, and then it will fold flat.

Andy.

17. Jeffrey Garriock

Jeffrey Garriock New Member

It would be awesome if the case included a space for either a laptop or small tablet, to run the Movi app. It'd be nice to have all the necessities in one case.

Drew Kachurak likes this.
  18. Austin Glass

Austin Glass Active Member

I like the idea of packing my stuff into separate cases, but doing it in a way that is well thought out.

For example, if all the stuff that is needed for single operator mode (M10, batteries, DP4, tablet-of-choice) can be in one kit, then all the stuff that is needed to dual operator mode can be in a second case (transmitter, add'l monitor, Paralinx, more batteries, etc). Then we grab the microRemote and another small monitor case for when we need three operators and we're good to go. There might be 4 or 5 cases in all, but for the small jobs, everything needed is contained within one case, and the load-out is simple. Packing up for a shoot is scalable to the size of shoot you're doing.

19. Hikari Homma

Hikari Homma Member

Carey it's good idea.

20. Lliam Worthington

Thin for travel is good, but I'm going for the built up case. MOVI will always have its required set up time by the looks - even when we become masters of balancing our rigs - so anything that hastens it being able to roll is likely better not just for us, but for being seen and accepted as user friendly on sets. Batteries, cases, cables etc... the more streamlined and dummy proof the better I think.