/dist/images/branding/favicon

MōVI Tips

Discussion in 'MōVI M10' started by Gary Haynes, Sep 8, 2013.

1. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

A place to capture your tips on using the MōVI.

2. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

So a tip on transport. To get the MōVI frame to lie flat the roll beam, as you face it from the front, needs to slide all the way to the right so that the other components will lie flat. Then I used two velcro straps as show to secure it from rotation. If it is in the box or a Pelican case the straps wouldn't be necessary.

Same for the stand. The stand legs are connected with bungee cord. Pop them loose, fold over and secure with a velcro strap.

_DSC2571.jpg

_DSC2572.jpg

3. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

Looks like the 1690 Pelican would be a good fit for the foam from the MōVI box. MōVI foam is 25 11/4 x 24 with a 6 1/2 thickness. The 1690 interior is 30.01" x 25.02" x 15.00" so you would have some excess space, 10" of vertical storage so the ability to have additional gear.

Other options might be the 1730 34.00" x 24.00" x 12.50".

4. Chris Durkee

Chris Durkee Member

The only thing about using the foam from the box i've noticed is that if you make any adjustments to balance it might not fit the foam cut out. Mine no longer fits.

5. Carey Lee Coffey

The 1690 seems like overkill. It's really heavy and way too deep for our needs. I wish someone would make a custom, laser cut foam case designed specifically for just the MōVI. I already have cases for all of my other gear.

Storing a $15, 000 piece of gear in a cardboard box is ridiculous.

6. Tabb Firchau

Tabb Firchau Administrator
    Staff Member

We are working on it Carey! Should have a few different options in the near future.

On this topic I will start another thread on what people would want in their ideal custom case

Tabb

7. Carey Lee Coffey

Bring it on!!! The MōVI gets better daily!

Jordan likes this.
  8. Drew Kachurak

Drew Kachurak Member

Velcro and Duct Tape fix everything!

9. Carey Lee Coffey

Don't you mean Gaff tape?

10. Drew Kachurak

Drew Kachurak Member

Of course - the Duct Tape was just a "funny"... Gaff tape in our specific industry!

Carey Lee Coffey likes this.
  11. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

Chris, when storing flat the roll beam needs to be back in it's original shipping setup which, if you are in front of the MōVI would have the bar slid all the way to the right (tilt motor side). Simple trick to get back to normal during your setup on location, make a note of where the center of the Freefly logo lines up or use a marker to mark the location.

12. Chris Durkee

Chris Durkee Member

sounds like a plan!

13. Mike Duval

Mike Duval Member

Tabb,

If you're looking to work with a great company for foam inserts and cases, we just partnered with a company out of NJ that has a sweet online case configurator. We've had a few cases done already, namely for our Ikelite underwater housings and they came out fantastic. Check it out at www.mycasebuilder.com. Steve, the owner, has been a wonderful resource. Once we take delivery of our unit in the coming weeks we'll be sending the unit to them to get a custom cutout put together. Once that is done, others can take the shape profile for the MōVI and lay it out across the various case sizes they offer and then add their own holes for whatever equipment they want.

Mike

14. James Leonzio

James Leonzio Member

Wow! This site is super cool. Let us know when you've started designing one. Will be interesting to see what you've come up with.

15. bevan goldswain

That sounds amazing, will you announce it somewhere when thats all done?

16. James Milner-Smyth

James Milner-Smyth New Member

A tip on a likely point of failure: the pan motor cable coming loose.

If you get no joy from the rig following all the correct procedures and still just get continually three flashing lights, you need to check all the cables are seated properly (as outlined in the manual and elsewhere on this forum).

In our case, the pan motor cable had come loose. You need a 1.5mm Allen key (a 1/16th imperial is just too large) to uncover the protector plate to see this.

Of all the motors, I think the pan motor cable is probably the most liable to tugging from adjusting the pan balance forward and back so this may be where you want to check first.

Hope this of help to someone in an emergency, and remember to pack that 1.5 key with your kit!

17. Erich Roland

Erich Roland Member

Good tip James. We have had this happen now twice on the tllt motor connection.

18. Garry Clarke

Garry Clarke Member

Hi All.
    this question has probably been asked and answered before, but I've given up looking through all the threads trying to find an answer.

I've now got my Movi and am experiencing an issue with the roll balance. Once I feel its right, the camera/gimbal seems to slump down toward the horizontal position. It mightn't go all the way to level, but certainly slumps a fair bit from where I move it to to check balance. If I move it upward on the left, it slumps down. If I move it upwards to the right, its still slumps down again. My tilt balance is good and the tilt cg balance, which seemed to take forever, appears to be pretty good also. Is there something I'm missing?

I'd appreciate any advise anyone might have.

Cheers
    Garry

19. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

Garry there is some inherent resistance due to the cabling. If you get a bit of movement and it is roughly the same on both left and right go ahead finish your balance setup with Pan, power it up, get the gains set and start shooting some test footage.

20. Garry Clarke

Garry Clarke Member

Thanks Gary.
    I know this is a very open ended question, like how long is a piece of string. But are there any "rule of thumb" settings for stiffness with a 5D mk3, or do these depend on lots of variables such as lens used?

cheers
    Garry