/dist/images/branding/favicon

Questions for the first "small batch" of M10 recipients...

Discussion in 'MōVI M10' started by Carey Lee Coffey, Aug 17, 2013.

1. Tabb Firchau

Tabb Firchau Administrator
    Staff Member

HI James, Our batteries can power both of those devices directly. In our typical setup we do not usually power both these devices off the same source since the Red Rock Microremote is mounted down in the inner gimbal while the Teradek is mounted to the handles.

We made this handy little Micro usb male to micro usb male to power the Teradek transmitter right off the USB port found on the small HD DP4. If you use this cable then you only need one of our batteries on the inner gimbal to power the redrock.

Hope that helps!

Tabb

Attached Files:

2. Fritz Mueller

Fritz Mueller New Member

Hi Tabb, What connector is attached to the Freefly MoVI LiPO? EC5? The connector is just out of frame in the online store photo. Thanks.

3. Tabb Firchau

Tabb Firchau Administrator
    Staff Member

Hey Fritz! Sorry about that. The connector is a JST RCY connector.

Best,

Tabb

Attached Files:

4. Garry Clarke

Garry Clarke Member

Are the batteries supplied with the Movi Lipo's??

Garry

5. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Garry yes they are 4S 2600mah LiPo's.

6. Garry Clarke

Garry Clarke Member

Hi Gary.
    thanks for the quick response. After reading quite a lot of stories about these things bursting into flames, I must admit to being a bit nervous. I've never used them before as I'm not had any experience with RC anything. Am I right in thinking the risk is only a concern when recharging, which MUST be done with extreme care? Or are there other areas of concern with use and handling of these things.

Cheers
    Garry

7. Brad Meier

Brad Meier Active Member
    Staff Member

Garry, many products in your daily life are Lithium Polymer or Lithium Ion batteries. Your cell phone is most likely one such device (maybe not if your running a 10 yr old phone), laptops, etc.

The MōVI manual has more info on the batteries. http://www.freeflysystems.com/pdf/FFS_moviManual-v1.pdf

If you use some common sense (don't drop them in a fire, don't poke holes in them, etc.), Lipos are very stable and lightweight for the amount of output.

8. Wolfgang Armin

Wolfgang Armin Active Member

Garry, make sure not to fully discharge them. While NiMH, etc. like to be fully discharged, LiPo doesn´t. I usually leave a capacity of 20% to be on the safe side.
    When charging, don´t charge them too fast. Every LiPo has a C-Rating for charging and discharging - while you will probably never come close to the discharging limit of the supplied LiPo (in the RC world you empty a 4S 6000 mAh in around 5 minutes or even faster - so 4S 2600mAh in 3-5 hours is not a real challenge for the battery) while using the MoVI, you should take care when charging. Especially when I have time, I usually work with a mAh rating that will charge the LiPo in about 2 hours. With a 2600mAh that would be around 1300mAh. People say that this is better for the LiPo even though you can charge it at the C-Rating. Which btw multiplies with the mAh (just make a short google search on C-Rating LiPo). However you can put the LiPo back on the charger any time (even if you just used up 10%) - there is no memory effect (or at least people say so). From what I see in Freeflys tutorial video about batteries, their supplied charger has a maximum of 3000mAh - so I guess you´re on the safe side with a C-Rating of 1,15 when using their charger - modern batteries usually have a much higher C.
    When charging, get yourself a so called "lipo safe bag", ALWAYS use the balancer cable plugged in, charge it on a fire-safe place and never charge it when you are not somewhat nearby.
    Oh yes, and never use a damaged LiPo, or short circuit a lipo. Short circuiting is a "problem" when you first plug the JST/BEC connector and have the two separate black and red connectors laying around unplugged - if they touch each other, you´ll get some pretty impressive sparks (don´t ask me why I know that). So best practice should be to always leave the red/black cable connected to the charger and only unplug the small red JST/BEC plug that connects to the LiPo.
    Sounds a bit complicated, but really isn´t that bad. You´ll make it a habit ;-).

9. Wolfgang Armin

Brad, I´m just assuming here, but I think that if cell phones, etc. use LiPo, they will cut off at a certain capacity and never fully discharge it. Also I guess they either have automatic balancing or (like the iPhone) just one cell (when there is no need for balancing when charging). So me thinks that there is some technology involved to prevent misuse. When dealing with bare cells, just like the LiPo we all here regularely use, a little more knowledge and care should be taken.
    Considering how many LiPos are used out there (only thinking about RC devices in the hands of children), there seem to be very few accidents. However - it´s never bad to take some precautions and know what you are dealing with.

10. Garry Clarke

Garry Clarke Member

Hi Brad.
    thanks for the link to the Movi manual. I've been asking for some time whats available or included with each Movi in the way of instructions, with no reply. So very pleased to see this online. Thanks.

I take your point re the batteries. Although after reading the section in the Movi manual about the batteries and the care needed I'm even more concerned. I'd better look into getting a few fire proof, temperature controlled air-conditioned cases for them to live in. :) As you know I've had no experience with RC devices using these little BBQ starters, so please be gentle, but I don't understand why its so important to NOT store a fully charged battery. Does this mean its best to charge them up just before using it? Which if correct, doesn't seem too practical. I suppose there are advantages to an AB battery which we were considering as far as weight and the massive cost differential, but for peace of mind, I have to wonder which is preferable. If the Movi itself is powered by the Lipos, I guess we're probably going to bite the bullet and go Lipos for the other stuff as well.

Again thanks for the super quick reply and help. [for the technically impaired]

Cheers
    Garry

11. Angus Benson-Blair

Angus Benson-Blair Active Member

Guys, using Lipos is not dangerous if looked after properly. The big things to take note are:

Do not overcharge- a good charger won't allow you to do this anyway
    Do not used damaged batteries
    Do not use puffed batteries (ie when they are swollen which happens to old, damaged or sometimes cheap batteries)

The reason to not store Lipos at full charge is that it will degrade the performance of the battery as it will if you let the voltage drop too low. 4.2 volts is the highest voltage and 3.2 is the lowest voltage you should go to. 3.8 - 3.9 volts represents the optimum storage charge and ideally you wont drop below about 3.6 - 3.7 volts after use. Sorry, should just add these voltages are per cell not per battery. For a 4s battery just multiply these numbers by 4 etc

The other golden rule to ensure maximum life span is to limit use of the battery to 80% of its capacity. So if you have a 5000mAh battery you will only ever use 4000mAh. How do you know if you have only used 80%? Well many chargers will tell you how many mAh they have used to charge the battery to full and thus the amount you used on last use- note down the time of each use and you will be able to determine the time of use you have to hand in order to only use 80% if that makes sense. Less accurate but based on whenever I use 80%, my batteries tend to be at about the 3.75v per cell mark.

There are of course variations on this theme and countless arguments about which of these alternatives are best. Over on a site called Helifreak there is a good battery basics thread- the guys on Helifreakk are really friendly by the way unlike many other forums out there and they are very good at dealing with questions about basics. Link to the thread (one of the stickies, is here: http://www.helifreak.com/forumdisplay.php?f=31

12. Garry Clarke

Garry Clarke Member

Hi Wolfgang.

thanks so much for the detailed explanation on the Lipos. I guess I'll be doing as you've suggested and making the correct handling procedure of these little weapons a habit and one that we won't stray from. I'll also check out the FF video on the use.

Thanks again.
    Garry

13. Garry Clarke

Garry Clarke Member

Again I find myself saying thanks to those offering help and advise.
    Cheers Angus, I appreciate it.

Garry

14. Wolfgang Armin

Most welcome, Garry - btw: there are battery capacity checkers available. I for one use the graupner battery guard but there are countless others available.

15. Garry Clarke

Garry Clarke Member

Thanks again Wolfgang. I'll take that onboard.
    Cheers
    Garry

16. Garry Clarke

Garry Clarke Member

Hi Again Brad.
    I've just been checking through the Movi manual and was shocked to see that the remote transmitter is an accessory. I've been under the impression for months that this is included in the M10 kit. Can you please clarify.

Regards
    Garry

17. Angus Benson-Blair

Angus Benson-Blair Active Member

If I understand it, you get the transmitter included if you buy the standard M10 kit. You dont get included in the MR kit as instead you get the adapters etc to fit the M10 to the MR (the idea that most people with an MR will already have a camera TX).

Fabien Rubio likes this.
  18. Brad Meier

Brad Meier Active Member
    Staff Member

Correct.

Fabien Rubio likes this.
  19. Fabien Rubio

Fabien Rubio New Member

thanks a lot for the picture Adam

20. Carey Lee Coffey

I want a battery that doesn't need to be looked after... I have enough to look after on set already. :eek: