/dist/images/branding/favicon

Cinestar 8 WKM motors too hot to touch

Discussion in 'Cinestar 8' started by Rob Scribner, Sep 7, 2013.

1. Rob Scribner

Rob Scribner New Member

Hi everyone, I am have a bad issue with my Qc3328 motors getting too hot to touch. I bought a CS8 with MK Flight Controller but later upgraded to the DJI WKM. After I upgraded, all of my motors started to run super hot. Here is my setup:

CS8
    QC3328 motors x8
    APC 14x4.7 props x8
    Turnigy Plush 40A ESC's (Reflashed)
    4s 8000mah Quadropower batteries (fly with 2 in parallel
    All is connected with a ESC power Distribution Cable 1-to-8 from quadrocopter

Any thoughts?

I have tried a 5s 6200mah battery but same thing.

2. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

I suspect it's a by-product of the Turnigy Plush ESC's not driving the QC3328's correctly, Rob. Unfortunately, I'm not sure what the fix is, but for a motor to run hot, it has to pull a lot of current (unless all the bearings are bad -- which I *really* doubt). Therefore, what's controlling the current? The ESC. :(

Changing batteries is not going to help, I'm afraid. Reflashing the ESCs to use different firmware/parameters might be the answer.
    Sorry I can't be more help.
    Andy

3. Rob Scribner

Rob Scribner New Member

I have always thought it might be the ESC's, that's why I re-flashed them before I started to consider buying new ESC's. I have tried several different setting with my ESC programming and still nothing. I guess now a good question would, be what is a good recommendation for an ESC that is compatible with the WKM?

4. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Rob what is your total flying weight?

5. Rob Scribner

Rob Scribner New Member

Total weight with 2 batteries, CS gimbal, and a canon 60D is 16.6 lbs..

6. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

I may be wrong, but that seems a leetle on the heavy side. Have the motors just started running hot, or have they run hot for this configuration for a while?

Andy.

7. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

Ecalc for your setup say 65% throttle to hover and case temps would be 153 degrees. Andy is correct that you are likely to heavy for the motors.

image.jpg

8. Rob Scribner

Rob Scribner New Member

Forgive me but I am super confused now. I flew this same setup with the MK system and everything worked liked a camp. That was with 2 batteries, 3 axis gimbal and a 60D. Once I changed the FC to the WKM and 40a esc’s, I have had nothing but problems. I thought that this system (CS8 MK or CS8 WKM) was design to lift cameras and weights like the 7d, 5d…etc. How are people lifting cameras like the Red Epic, FS700, FS100, 5d, 7d then? Again forgive me…I am fairly new to this…just trying to get a firm grasp on everything.

9. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

Rob are you sure about the weight? If all you changed was to WKM and the esc's then something is suspect if everything else is the same as before. Any chance you have an IR thermometer to check the case temps. Also check the ESC's and even the temp of the batteries.

10. Rob Scribner

Rob Scribner New Member

I think I have a way to check the temps, I will do it first thing in the morning and post the results. I will double check my weight...make sure I did fudge something up. I really appreciate all the help so far...hope we can find a solution soon.

11. Rob Scribner

Rob Scribner New Member

So I did a quick test today, I did a hover with my standard load for 3 mins. After landing I used an infrared thermometer to get all the temps:

QC3328 motors - most were about 144 F but 5 & & were about 165 F
    Turnigy Plush ESC's 40a - 115-120 F
    2 4s 8000mah batteriers - 90 F

12. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

Rob what was the ambient temp? Looking at the Tiger Motor site it would appear that you are exceeding the temp limits on the motors. Also eCalc at the weight you stated says that the motors should be about 95 degrees. Be careful with continuing to fly without getting it sorted out.

13. Rob Scribner

Rob Scribner New Member

The ambient temp was about 83 F

14. Rob Scribner

Rob Scribner New Member

So does it sound like I should look into replacing the ESC's

15. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

Rob it's hard to say whether it is the ESC's, WKM, the setup. But what changed from your description is the WKM/ESC's. If it flies ok then you might start with sending the ESC's back to the seller and see if you can get a refund. Other than the Freefly Motor set or the Castle Creations ICE series I haven't used anything else.

16. Rob Scribner

Rob Scribner New Member

I have been really eye balling the Free Fly Motor Control Set. Found a few threads of conversations that seem to have good review. I would imagine that they work well with the WKM if Quadrocopter sells it in a DIY package. I guess worst case I can get the FF Control Set and if its still doesn't work I can switch over to my MK board and an I2C PWM Converter, then get rid of the WKM.

17. Drew Kachurak

Drew Kachurak Member

18. Rob Scribner

Rob Scribner New Member

What motor are you running? I have the QC-3328 right now. Just want to find some ESC's that are work with the WKM, QC3328 motors, and CS8 frame.

19. Drew Kachurak

Drew Kachurak Member

T motor 4012-13

20. Rob Scribner

Rob Scribner New Member

So today I tried a new test. I got a i2C PWM converter and put my MK 2.1 board. Then I hooked up to my Turnigy Plush 40a esc's, QC3328 motors, 2 4s batteries in parallel, with a 60D camera. I flew for 3 minutes like all the other test and there was a difference. I found that all the even number motors that rotated counter clockwise got to 124'F and all the odd numbered motor were about 108'f.Before they got up to 160'F +

The i2C was set up with a pulse width of 500hz, 1060 & 1860. Any thoughts? Is 124'F after 3 minutes too hot or normal? Should I look into swapping out the ESC's if I want to keep my WKM; look into HF pro or MK with GPS if I want to keep the ESC's? I know that a biased question but just looking for user tested experience. Thanks in advance. :)