/dist/images/branding/favicon

MOVI -- Competitors

Discussion in 'MōVI M10' started by Lliam Worthington, Sep 4, 2013.

1. Carey Lee Coffey

I'm still trying to figure out how I'm going to power everything.

I would love to get a definitive answer as the whether or not this AB set-up would work (It can't be as deep as an F700):

20111128-120822.jpg

If I could power everything with 2 batteries, I would be ecstatic!

2. Tabb Firchau

Tabb Firchau Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi Carey, Send it to me and I will be happy to tell you if it fits! I will try and get my hands on a similar setup and let you know.

3. Carey Lee Coffey

Thanks for your response Tabb... you must have nothing better to do tonight either ; )

I don't actually have the AB set-up yet... I'm waiting to make sure it works before I pull the trigger. It seems to me that it should work if the FS100 and FS700 work based on their depth.

I like the AB set-up because I don't want to have to constantly change batteries. One AB could power the camera, FF, Paralinx and monitor - and for a couple of hours too!

It would be great if you could try this out, or even a Red with V-mount set-up. There are a lot of Red owners who have V-mounts rather than Redvolts.

I sold my Redvolts and I'm not looking back. They are way too expensive, don't last very long and can't power any accessories : /

4. Tabb Firchau

Staff Member

OK Carey, I will put it on my list to test. I understand many people are not super fond of the Redvolts but we are hesitant to push the Epic lemo to Lipo solution as I don't want too many customers to have their EPIC / DRAGON release the magic smoke!

5. Carey Lee Coffey

LOL thanks Tabb!

Btw, I plan to offset the weight of the AB battery by using the lightest FF available (MK3), and a super light lens.

6. Lliam Worthington

Brilliant.

Thank you Tabb.

The kind of truly informed post I was hoping for.

Best Wishes
    Lliam

7. Brett Harrison

Brett Harrison Active Member

lol at 'magic smoke'. Instant hit of adrenaline followed by a fast comedown.

8. Robert Marks

Robert Marks Member

9. Wes Greene

Wes Greene New Member

It would be great Tabb if you could test carrying a V-lock on the back of the Epic all onboard the Movi. Many of us are looking at the V-lock like this which would give greta runtime for Red LCD, FF and transmitter.
    http://www.globalmediapro.com/dp/A2...HW-R-Lithium-ion-Battery-95WH-for-Red-Camera/
    on
    http://woodencamera.corecommerce.com/RED/Power-RED/WC-V-Mount-Epic-Scarlet.html - provides two D-tap outputs (1 to FF and 1 to transmitter)

Nice work getting the manual etc out. Well done.

Also, any progress on a cable for mounting a red LCD on the Movi???

10. Carey Lee Coffey

I can't stress the importance of being able to power everything with just 2 batteries. Having to constantly change out 5 batteries on a professional set is unacceptable. We have to be able to shoot, uninterrupted, for at least 30 minutes continuously.

I hope Freefly can get this problem squared away VERY soon since MōVI's are starting to be released into the wild. No production wants to be constantly waiting on the MōVI guys to get their sh*t together.

11. Brad Meier

Brad Meier Active Member
    Staff Member

Carey,
    I agree with you.. it can be a lot to keep up with but not as bad as you think. The Epic lipos that we were using would last around 30 min, so a little longer than the Red Volts. Everything else would run at least 2 hours continuous use and the follow focus all day long. I routinely would only have one spare set of batteries and cycle through when there was down time (not when the batteries were dead). It takes some battery/time management skills but its not bad.

This however is not the best solution of course. Ideally, one battery powering camera and follow focus and one battery powering MoVI, onboard monitor, and video send. If your powering the monitor and video send with the MoVI battery the runtime will of course decrease but having spares would solve that issue. You would still need to keep a close eye on the voltage so things aren't dying mid-shot or during a series of 30 takes on the same shot. Nothing will kill the mood faster than a limp MoVI

It would be excellent if the AB setup would work just for simplicity and run time. I understand your point of if the 700 will fit then this would but its all about balance. Theres a lot more weight on the backend of the Epic/AB setup and hopefully that'll allow it to be mounted far enough forward to clear.

12. Carey Lee Coffey

I'm hoping this is the case! Also, the AB can't be much heavier than a side handle w/Redvolt.

13. Brad Meier

Brad Meier Active Member
    Staff Member

Im fairly confident that it could handle the weight... It all about the balance.

14. Carey Lee Coffey

I know IT could handle the weight... I just want to be sure I can handle the weight ;)

15. Robin Charters

Robin Charters New Member

Hey Carey, I don't think you will get away with that AB mount scenario - I just don't think it will clear the Roll Bar. Tabb can elaborate.

16. Carey Lee Coffey

Tabb is suppose to test it out and get back to us. I will be waiting patiently!

17. Fabien Rubio

Fabien Rubio New Member

Thanks for the answer, I am in the position to purchase one Movi 10, since I have the Red Epic.

If I order today, how long do I wait till I get it in Barcelona? Can I pick it up directly in the US?

thanks a lot!

18. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

19. Brett Harrison

Brett Harrison Active Member

If it can now fit the side handle, then I can imagine stowing (somehow) the AB or whatever battery there on the side in an ad hoc manner, looping the power cable around to back. Correct me if I am wrong.

20. Tabb Firchau

Staff Member

Brett, good idea....I was looking at making a bracket to allow this on the EPIC today. I think we could make something like this work pretty well!

Brett Harrison likes this.