/dist/images/branding/favicon

Blackmagic Pocket Cam

Discussion in 'Cameras' started by Tim Joy, Aug 30, 2013.

1. Katya Nelhams-Wright

Hi Tim.
    You might be right about the range...I bought my paralinx 2 months ago and there was an issue with range and it was a faulty unit so it got sent back to manufacturer and I just got it back today so I have not have a chance to test the range but hopefully it's a bit more than 80m in line of sight. I'm sure Kopterworxs said that they were going to do some kind of booster for the Arrow but maybe that has gone off the radar with the event of brushless handheld and flying gimbals. The good thing about the PBC and Arrow though is that when it is connected to the Canon DSLRs and goes out of range the camera thinks that you have disengaged the HDMI port and so stops recording as the HDMI signal is lost. I tested the PBM today and going out of range does not stop the camera recording so it is more like a C300 or regular video camera which is rather good as I felt that the arrow with the DSLRs was not the best option due to the stopping recording.
    I will ask my camera guys about the composite out for you but I am sure someone on the forum will already know the answer and just hasn't had a chance to respond yet.
    Look forward to hearing your thoughts and tests on your lenses and hopefully the 12-35 won't need an extra plate. Once I get mine I will try and post some video but I am not planning on using a cinestar but a droidworxs Y3 to lift it with an adapted FF gimbal so might not be allow here!:)....Andy what do you think....other frames allowed?:)
    But seriously, would love to see your footage with different lenses when you have a chance, especially the wide angle ones:)
    Kat

2. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Kat: Do you prefer the Helipan vario? Or fixed? If so which ND value do you find the most useful?

Andy.

3. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Tabb takes a very professional position regarding the forum, Kat, so post away with your findings -- it's an FF gimbal after all. :)

Out of curiosity, what caused you to stray away from Cinestars? ;)

Andy.

4. Katya Nelhams-Wright

Hi Andy.
    In terms of the heliopan, I have used gone through a few vari NDs from when the 5D first came out and I have had colour shift with all but the Singh Ray and Heliopan. Obviously they are also the most expensive but if you want smooth aperture change for regular filming then they are the best. I also have recently bought some fixed heliopan NDs also as the vari ND is very heavy so if you don't need it then a couple of fixed NDs to give you 4 stops between them should be enough I would say even on the brightest of days. I think also by the time you buy 2 heliopan fixed NDs you have spent more than you would for the vari so then it is down to weight.

In terms of the switch. I am still a die hard cinestar fan and would have loved a hexa to play with but the opportunity to buy a Droidworxs AD hexa frame at a reduced price came up. I already had all the electronics lying around but I wanted to try a Y config that had a small footprint and would be able to carry the PMC so that is why. I have had to get a bracket made though so I can fit rails on it to be able to attach my echo plate and therefore have my trusty FF gimbal underneath:).....it's like buying a bed from Ikea...nothing quite fits with anything else! But I will say that the Y config is very stable with a quick tune and stock DJI NAZA hexa Y mix, only tested it a couple of times so far to make sure it actually flies:) Hoping to post a little more about it once I have the gimbal attached and the Pocket in my possession:)
    Kat

5. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Thanks for the info re: the ND's Kat. I'll order up a couple of fixed NDs -- although I do worry a bit about the internal reflections with all those surfaces in the light path. I might see if they have ND2 and ND4 so I need only use one or the other.

Understood re: the Droidworx....there are indeed times when you want to throw something light weight and less expensive up in the air. I was thinking of getting something smaller just for initial flights on location to assess the shots that will work best, but, I find that I really want to have On Screen Display data available. Once a pilot, always a pilot, I guess....just feels funny not to have the instrumentation available....

The Y config presumably also means that the "booms in shot" issue goes away?

Andy.

6. Katya Nelhams-Wright

Hi Andy.
    I would get a couple of different grades of ND and use each one on it's own as you have said. If you have the ability to do 4 stops then you should be OK
    In terms of OSD, I have either DJI iOSD or the lovely new DJI mini iOSD on all my machines but on the Y the wingspan is about 65cm without props and I put Xoar 13 6.5s on it so not Phantom like in size and maybe a bit big for recce flights:)
    I have a Droidworxs CX 4 and Flamewheel 450 with GoPro and zenmuse on for very small:) I'll send you a link of some footage, pretty fun for the size;-) The CX might carry the pocket Black Magic stripped down if it was a coax 8. I had it like that for a while and it flew very nicely but then used the motors and electronics to built the Droidworxs Y so it went back to a quad.

I hopefully will have no boom in shot on the Y and the FF 360 gimbal underneath the the Pocket Black Magic. I am trying to keep it under 7kg as then it comes under a different category for the B-NUCS but we shall see.
    Kat

7. Tim Joy

Tim Joy Active Member

I had a Y6 for a while. It was nice and small to fit in the car! When I switched back to flat six I did an unconscious sigh of relief. My camera OP is much happier with 360 panning ability and wouldn't allow the Y6 anymore. But as a solo setup I might do it again.
    I plan to try X8 pretty soon.

8. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Thanks for the info, Kat.
    I've got an MK Hexa XL that I need to build...that might be my recce copter.
    We're nowhere near having anything like the B-NUCS (I hope the FAA come up with a better acryonym -- B-NUCS sounds close to Benny Hill style double entendre.. ;) )

Andy.

9. Katya Nelhams-Wright

Thats interesting Tim. What did you not like about it? I have never flown a flat 6, only flat 8s and 4s. I have also never had the pleasure of trying a large X8, only the CX as a coax which is pretty small and I never mounted a gimbal underneath so good to hear what you think:)
    Kat

10. Adam Paugh

Adam Paugh Distributor

Thanks for sharing this info, Tim. One of our shop guys has one on pre-order with B&H. The video results are very encouraging!

Greetings,
    Adam

11. Katya Nelhams-Wright

Hi Adam, do you expect/think the Freefly HDMI converter will work with the pocket?
    Kat

12. Adam Paugh

Adam Paugh Distributor

Hello Kat,

It sounds like Tim is struggling with the hdmi output (see post #9 in this thread). I'll guess we will see b/c it doesn't appear that there is another video out option on this cam.

Tim: is this the LANC cable you are trying out?: http://www.quadrocopter.com/LancPro-Camcorder-Control_p_774.html

Greetings,
    Adam

13. Tim Joy

Tim Joy Active Member

14. Tim Joy

Tim Joy Active Member

If anyone has a different model HDMI -> composite converter that is a spare or they would like to send me to test, I will happily do it, and pay for shipping. I need to find a solution ASAP.

EDIT- This is the one I have two of, and neither work. http://www.amazon.com/ViewHD-Univer...7&sr=8-1&keywords=hdmi+to+composite+converter

I think this is what the current FF converters are based off.
    I also tried the old one that is 3x's the size. No go.

15. Adam Paugh

Adam Paugh Distributor

If I'd known I would have brought one out to VT with me ;). PM your address and I'll get one out today

Greetings,
    Adam

16. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

That looks like a Composite -> HDMI converter. Don't you want an HDMI -> Composite converter?

17. Tim Joy

Tim Joy Active Member

18. Tim Joy

Tim Joy Active Member

Thanks Adam. Will do!

19. Nick Adams

Nick Adams Member

Hey Katya
    I would love to see the footage of the Flamewheel 450 and zenmuse. I was thinking of getting a similar setup maybe with a Phantom for
    travel etc. Do you like it?
    Nick

20. Nick Adams

Nick Adams Member

Hey Tim great footage,
    What are the monitor brackets that you are using? Looks like a perfect way to mount them to avoid the sun.
    Thanks,
    Nick

kjetil tønnesen likes this.