/dist/images/branding/favicon

Compass Effect...doesn’t

Discussion in 'Electronics' started by Steve Maller, Sep 5, 2013.

1. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

A couple people on the MK forum have suggested that the Compass Effect in the MK stack can have a deleterious effect on performance with the new ACC 2.2 upgrade and latest MK firmware. I've been having less-than stellar Position Hold performance since the upgrade, with some toilet bowling, etc.

On the advice of a couple of folks, I lowered the Compass Effect to 0 and tested PH. The results seem to be dramatically better. I'm wondering whether the improved algorithms have eliminated the need for the Compass Effect, whatever that is.

Caveat Emptor, and test, test, test...

2. Adam Paugh

Adam Paugh Distributor

Hello Steve,

Could you link that thread?

Greetings,
    Adam

3. Dave King

Dave King Well-Known Member

Steve

Interesting! I noticed the same issues when I upgraded to the Beta 91 firmware. I didn't like the PH performance (toilet bowl) so I went back to 90J and it was fine. I tried the upgrade a second time thinking I had a bad install but i had the same results. I tried the recommended advice "If PH leads to oscillate, should maybe reduce GPS-ACC" however that did not work for me.

Would you say that your PH performance is good now as it was with 0.90 firmware?

4. Dave King

Steve according to the MK manual Compass effect Is a compass connected the influence of the yaw can be set up here. In that case a small number has a small, one large number has a big influence.
    http://www.mkmanual.com/mikrokopter-tool/mk-tools-tabs/misc

Conclusion: I have no idea what that means or why it mentions Yaw! LOL

5. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

6. Dave King

Interesting that they are talking about flyaways. Scary stuff.

7. Jason Smoker

Jason Smoker Active Member

I fly on construction fields and always around metal objects, When I first started flying these crazy machines my Compass effect was on 64 I had one fly away, lots and lots of yawing problems scary 180 degrees without warning. Since I have turned off my compass the problems have gone away. So in my instance yes Turning up your compass will effect yawing.

AS for the new software i have not had any problems yet!! I also lowered my GPS-ACC a little it seems pretty solid could do with more tweaking though. Because I live in Tokyo it a bit of drive to go somewhere without any houses and tall buildings to test it properly!! lol

Steve Maller likes this.
  8. Jose Luis Ocejo

Jose Luis Ocejo Active Member

Guys this compact effect sims to be a very elusive topic to nail it down I guess it was written by some humans somewhere in this world, I was wondering if any of those humans perhaps one directly from Mikrokopter with MK Tools true knowledge could help in and help us humble .....customers..... understand this things, so we don't crash experimenting, the line holding the balloon some times get so thin, do they ever come in to this forum and..... talk to us?

9. Dave King

I posted to the MK forum and they have not responded.

10. Jose Luis Ocejo

Jose Luis Ocejo Active Member

Hi Steve or Dave did you guys find a solution to Compass Effect mystery

11. Dave King

Some people say that compass effect doesn't effect anything, others like Steve said it had an effect on PH performance. Holger has revised the GPS parameters with 2.0 and now have a 2.1 beta. I have been trying to get everything done that I need to shoot before the weather goes bad here in Pittsburgh so I have not had any time to test it. I have been on 90J and its worked well for what I need. I'm also hearing that synapse will be available before the end of the year and if this is true it will be going on my current CS8 and the heavy lifter I will be building this winter.

12. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

The MK guys tend to hang out on their own forum at mikrokopter.de -- there is an English speaking section of their forum (http://forum.mikrokopter.de/ and scroll down to International Forum) and Holger and Ingo do check that.

Google's Chrome browser does a moderately good job of automagically translating the German pages of the forum too.

Andy