/dist/images/branding/favicon

Flying in the mountain, over 10 000 feets

Discussion in 'Cinestar Misc' started by Denis Gliksman, Sep 2, 2013.

1. Denis Gliksman

Hi All
    I have project where i will have to fly over 10000 feets, in the mountain.
    I may fly DJI (okto) or MK(hexa), it is not choosen yet, depending the cam we choose
    i have some questions about performance considering altitude.
    From my researchs i found that i should considere at least 30% performance lost at 3000 meters (10000 feets).
    Not speaking about the cold ...
    I usually use Xoar 14' on the Cinestar 6 and Cinestar 8
    What do you think about that ? any experience feedback welcome ?
    Thanks
    Best regards
    Denis

2. Denis Gliksman

For who's interested, i had an information from MK, "the altitude sensor is only working up to ~ 3200 meters above sea level"

3. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

Super high altitude operations are very do-able. I have no specific info regarding configurations, but you might enjoy this video of some work that was done at twice the altitude you're describing.

"altitude (for the drone) 4300m up to 6251m"

4. Katya Nelhams-Wright

I really love footage like this, amazing:) Team Blacksheep use DJI FC so probably was a NAZA. I would email them though as they do fly in the mountains a lot so might be able to give you accurate data on how the WK or NAZA perform at high altitude.
    Katya

5. Nathan Reim

Nathan Reim Member

My guess would be the naza and WK will preform great at that Alt, i think you will want to see what the variance in thrust would be due to the thinner air.

6. Denis Gliksman

We did the mission with 2 Mikrokopter, Cinestar 6 and OktoXL.
    Actually with Mikrokopter and FC 2.1 i had to desactivate the altitude control over 3000 meters and to fly manually.
    The only problem is that the failsafe would not work ! (because altitude control was desactivated)
    Now he problem is solved with the new FC 2.5 that goes up to 5000 meters.

I don't know how a Naza or a wookong would perform at that altitude but since ati and gps mode use altitude control you have to be sure that the pressure censor will accept it (or change settings ?). I couldn't find the information on Dji's site.
    It seems on the video that Dedicam used a Dji (?) on their quad . They did an incredible job !

7. Shaun Stanton

Shaun Stanton Active Member

It does, my friend in Durango flies his S-800 and his Skyjib 8 with WKM all the time in 11 to 12000 feet ski slopes of Colorado.

8. Shaun Stanton

Shaun Stanton Active Member

I flew at 10,000 in the Sandia Mountains as a test, I never tried AH or PH since I did not know what to expect, it seemed in OSD the altimeter was working by the OSD I never heard about the 3000 meter issue. My concern was the OAT was -10C. In my aviation experience when flying heavy cargo jets you have to do a manual altimeter correction for temperatures below 0 which can be a couple hundred feet off in extreme cases. That is with a anerroid barometer, don't know if this affects these sensors in the same manner.

I did notice more throttle required don't have the GPX. The battery drained a minute quicker, yes it was warm before flight and its own exothermic reaction kept good electron flow. It was a little more sluggish harder bring down and at times a bit twitchy in the wind up there.

9. Denis Gliksman

10. mathewfarrell

mathewfarrell Member

Hi folks. I appreciate that this is an old thread, but could someone please clarify what mean by deactivating the sensor? disabling the hardware? setting in MKTool? Or simply not activating 'hold altitude' on your Tx? Alas, I won't be able to test these things before heading away.
    I'm using an FC2.2, and won't have time to get a 2.5 before a high altitude trip.

11. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Matthew, I think you may have to post on forum.mikrokopter.de to get an answer -- the link above shows that Holger wrote "a hardware update of the FC would be necessary."

Andy.

12. mathewfarrell

mathewfarrell Member

Cheers Andy, I'll throw my hat in the Mikrokopter ring.
    FWIW, I'm not anticipating AH to work given my hardware, but at least trying to see what needs to be done to override it at such altitudes. Re-reading Denis' post, I think it might be as simple as de-selecting AH on the Tx.

Cheers,
    Mat.

13. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Yeah, I think you might be right Mat. Just turning off AH would seem to be the way to go. But Holger's pretty responsive on the MK forum, so it wouldn't hurt to ask.

Andy.

14. mathewfarrell

mathewfarrell Member

Cheers once again Andy. Holger was indeed very quick and helpful. I'm now quite confident that it is simply a matter of turning of AH in order to fly at whatever altitude you want*

*I needn't fill in this asterisk, really

15. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Glad you got an answer! (And thanks for posting it too!)

16. mathewfarrell

mathewfarrell Member

Hi all.

Having just come back from the mountains, I can confirm that for older hardward (pre FC2.5) you need to deactivate altitude control in the firmware (via MKtool) or the engines will not start.
    It is not sufficient to simply 'not hit the Altitude hold switch' on your Tx.

Damn! If there's one computer automated control that my flying relies on, it's alti-hold. Just have to train more, I guess.