/dist/images/branding/favicon

Canon 10-22mm question

Discussion in 'Cameras' started by Dave King, Sep 1, 2013.

1. Dave King

Dave King Well-Known Member

For those that have used the Canon 10-22mm lens, how much fisheye effect to does the lens have? I assume if it does have some fisheye you guys are using light room lens correction to take it out? Right now with the 7D I"m using a 20mm lens which falls just a tad short for wide property shots. I"m finding the need to be at the 400 feet limit to get real wide shots and it would be nice to have a wider lens so I don't have to go up quite as high all the time. Just seeing if the 10-22mm is a good option or if I just need to bite the bullet and go full frame 6D.
    Thoughts?

2. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Dave trotting out my old math the horizontal AOV of the Canon 20mm is 84 degrees. With the 1.6 crop factor that is about 52.5 degrees. At a 400 ft distance that works out to a horizontal FOV of approximately 400 ft if my math is right. The would be one really large McMansion :)

If you go to a full frame then you would have an FOV of about 720 ft.

3. Dave King

HI Gary

Thanks for the info. Here's some stuff I shot yesterday. And yes it is a very large McMansion :)
    Sturbridge2.jpg

Sturbridge5.jpg

Sturbridge8.jpg

Sturbridge1.jpg

Sturbridge3-1.jpg

4. Dave King

Here's a picture that I shot at 400 feet to give you an idea of my limit as far as the range I have with the 20mm lens.

Sturbridge10.jpg

5. Dave King

For comparison here's a shot I did with the Sony 760 at 400 feet.

DSC00156edit1.jpg

6. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

Sounds like time to go Full Frame or get a Red Scarlet. Then you have outstanding videos and stills.

7. Michael McVay

Michael McVay Active Member

The 10-22mm is a pretty solid lens - not really any fisheye effect, but some barrel distortion that is easily corrected in LR. When I did aerial photos with a balloon system, I used this lens on a T2i because balloons are far more weight restrictive (without getting enormous). I think you would find it plenty acceptable for still photo work - especially in real estate. I used it for a long time and had a remote zoom rigged up to it which was pretty handy.

That being said, since you do not already own it, I would give strong consideration to biting the bullet and picking up a 6D. They have come down in price a ways and I really think you would enjoy continuing to use your existing lenses on a full frame camera for aerial photography in addition to any other use you may have for it.

If you would like, I could dig out some real estate aerials taken with a T2i and a 10-22 to help you determine which way you might want to go...

Michael

8. Brad Meier

Brad Meier Active Member
    Staff Member

I shoot with a 7d and 5d3. For your purpose I'd say full frame is the way to go.

9. Dave King

Guys thanks for the feedback. I was really trying to get by and buy some time before making a purchase to see if Canon was going to come out with a 1080 60P DSLR. Michael it sounds like you got by with a cropped sensor and the 10-22mm lens just fine. How much more head room would going from the 20mm to a 10-22mm at the widest point get me? Would you say I could get the same framed shot at 300 feet instead of 400 feet for example? It would be nice to drop my altitudes a good amount regardless if I have to go up 400 feet or not.

10. Dave King

I don't mind having 2 camera rigs. Kinda going back and forth with whats the next video camera. I have a friend who owns a C300. I'm trying to convince him to let me try it out. :D For stills I thought for sure the 6D was considerably lighter than the 7D but it doesn't seem like it according to the specs. Less than 200 grams. I was thinking 400-500 grams.

11. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

Dave, considering your objectives, I'd just find a used original 5D. I've seen the first 5D model on craigslist for $500. The image quality at low ISOs like you'll use in daylight is almost indistinguishable from the latest models, and considering the cost, you should be able to recoup your investment the first couple times you fly. Your 20mm lens on a 5D is going to give you a tremendous FOV. And just strap a $10 intervalometer on there are you're good to go. No live view, but with that FOV, you should have a decent margin of error. ;)

12. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

At 10% you would have something like 500-600 ft. Reason for the range is I don't see a horizontal AOV for the Canon 10-22 EF-S. Only the diagonal which is spec'd at 104 degrees which would be the 600ft on a diagonal dimension.

13. Dave King

Gary

Thanks for the response. Not sure what you mean when you say at 10% you should have something like 500-600 feet. Can you explain what you mean for those that are mentally challenged such as myself? :)

14. Dave King

Hmmm........ I think I would rather pay the little extra money and get a used 5D MKII. I've seen them as low as $1000.

15. Scott Stemm

Scott Stemm Member

16. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

Type At 10mm the FOV should be 500-600 ft wide at your theoretical 400ft distance.

17. Dave King

Thanks Scott and Gary, very helpful.