/dist/images/branding/favicon

WKM firmware version and diagnostics?

Discussion in 'Electronics' started by Sean Haverstock, Jul 15, 2013.

1. Sean Haverstock

I have my first WKM and am curious what firmware versions people are running trouble free. It looks like I can choose between 5.20 and 5.22 at least.

Also, does the WKM have any type of flight log file like MK? The data recorded with the MK setup seems invaluable. Are you able to access any similar data with the WKM?

2. Peter Gøthche

I would go with the 5,20 for now, some people has problems with yaw on the 5.22.

If you have the DJI OSD you will be able to see the flight log

3. Sean Haverstock

Ahhh, thanks Peter. I have certainly been looking at various OSD's but I never saw the flight log function on the DJI OSD.

For anyone with the same question, here is an intro to the OSD flight log GUI

4. Katya Nelhams-Wright

I had problems with yaw with 5.22 so am currently flying with 5.20 and it's very stable and RTH works! I presumed that new iOSD firmware onyl worked with 5.22 so will try with 5.20.
    Katya

5. Sean Haverstock

Thanks for the replies.

Does anybody know what other data can be grabbed on the Y-axis in the data view? It looks like they provide RPM. Are you able to get amp draw, too? I downloaded the assistant software but don't actually have an iOSD at the moment. So I can't tell 100% what data is available.

What other OSD's are people using with WKM? Eagle tree sure does give a lot of info and logging, maH used and amp draw particularly, but the screen overlay looks really busy. The ezOSD gives maH used, and will work nicely with the rest of my IRC gear, but I don't think there's a logging function.

6. Sylvio Rangel

Sylvio Rangel Member

Sean, I am running 5.24, 3 flights, atti and GPS, no problem so far.

7. Katya Nelhams-Wright

Hi Sylvio. Do you have any problems with the RTH function on 5.24? It didn't work on 5.22 I believe....is yours working?
    Thanks
    Katya

8. Sylvio Rangel

Sylvio Rangel Member

Katya, I didn't have the courage to switch RTH...ever. That's too "automatic" for me!!! can't help you with that.
    Everything else works fine. Throttle response has changed for take-off. After start, motors will keep low/mid rotation untill
    you reach around 50-55% on stick. At that point motors speed up for take-off. After that you get your
    normal throttle response back. Nothing to be afraid of, it happens smoothly.
    Best, Sylvio

9. Katya Nelhams-Wright

Hi Sylvio.
    I do find the RTH a bit nerve wracking but unfortunately it needs to be working in the UK if your machine is to pass it's flight worthy test and then be able to be used commercially under the B-NUCS license. You have to engage it at the flight worthy test to prove that it works!:)
    Did you get any yaw problems with 5.22 with your system by the way? I don't know if it was a universal issue or maybe based on which escs one was using.

WK 5.24 sounds a little more like the NAZA V2 take off. I was keen to upgrade to 5.22 so I could use the bluetooth module and make gain adjustments on my iPhone rather than a computer but as well as the non functioning RTH I did get weird yaw movements caused by motors speeding up and then slowing down during hover.

I have just bought the bluetooth module for the Naza V2 and also the mini iOSD and it's really great not being tethered to a computer and also having the telemetry for the NAZA, I use DJI OSD for my cinestar 8 and wookong.
    Thanks
    Katya

10. Sylvio Rangel

Sylvio Rangel Member

My Yaw feels just fine. It's response didn't change nor feels different on 5.24 when compared to 5.22.
    I am using 8x Turnigy Multistar 45a, and will reflash them with SimonK this week because I am not yet 100% happy
    with the cinestar/WKM overall stability when I look at the video footage. Still, Yaw doesn't seem to be major problem to me.
    Gains are 200,200,190,170. Atti 95,95. I can't get rid of "horizon" +- 10hz oscilations on footages. Hopefully SimonK will help.
    Also, I will take a deep breath and test RTH next weekend. Will post the result.....

11. Katya Nelhams-Wright

Hi Sylvio.
    Thanks for your reply:) Do you get the oscillations without the gimbal attached? Check with the other forums that 5.24 RTH does work before you press the button! The multirotor forum guys are usually very good with that kind of thing.
    Good luck:)
    Katya

12. Mike Reid

Mike Reid Member

Since there seems to be a lot of us in this thread using the WKM/CS8 combo, what is everybody running with otherwise?

My setup is basically the QC WK/CS8 HL package (FF motor controls, WKM, 22.2V freefly batteries, MX-20 w/ GR-16 and AXi 4120/20 motors w/ xoar 15x5 props on 500mm booms)

I currently have the aircraft set to OCTO I in mixer type, but I am thinking of trying OCTO V because I have been having some yaw problems where I get a sudden jolt of throttle when yawing occasionally and I have heard that "V" may help this.

I have my first level protect set to 20V and second level set to 18V as recommended by QC (they actually said that second could be 17.5V, but I set it a bit higher just to give myself a bit more buffer)

Gains are at 170, 170, 150, 150, 120, 120 and seem fine other than the occasional throttle when yawing. I am going to do more testing on this once I have a nice calm day outside.

I am running 5.24, it was on my WKM when I received it.

I don't think that I'm leaving anything out. Feel free to ask any questions. Hopefully we all learn a few things about using the WKM and CS8 in this thread!