/dist/images/branding/favicon

Sony FS700

Discussion in 'Cameras' started by Brad Meier, Sep 18, 2012.

1. Brad Meier

Brad Meier Active Member
    Staff Member

Anyone out there with the FS700 that can tell me the all up flying weight minus lens? So body + battery. I would like to know how it compares to the 7d and what kind of flight times your getting. Ive seen somewhere about 3.7 lbs but not sure if thats with or without the battery. Also any photos of it mounted on the mount? Tabb? Jeff?

2. Josh Lambeth

Josh Lambeth Well-Known Member

I have done a quick test flight (read VERY QUICK test flight), and it is a BIG and heavy camera! You have to modify the gimbal in order to make the camera fit properly. The two arms that come out from the Roll axis need to be longer to move the camera mounting position farther out. This is why we didn't fly for long. Ours wasn't balanced properly and due to that I didn't feel safe flying it. I just wanted to see if it would lift it and what the amps were. We were pulling around 80amps during our takeoff.

I know Jeff over at QC has flown with the FS700 on multiple occasions and if you look at their FB page you can see some pictures of it mounted up.

Josh

3. Tabb Firchau

Tabb Firchau Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi Brad, I only have the FS100...I saw Jeff's FS700 for about 5 minutes last time he was out here. Hopefully he can chime in and help out with your questions.

Tabb

4. Jeff Scholl

Jeff Scholl Distributor

[​IMG]
    For the FS700 I extended the side gimbal booms to around 180mm for the FS700.
    Also I bought the smaller battery to shave some weight. Awesome camera!

Cheers,
    Jeff

5. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

HI Jeff:
    Could you confirm the spelling of the battery: SAMILER? I'm not finding it with Google.

Also are you using a LANC controller? I can see a wire going up to the back of the FS700 from what might be a control board on the rear post of the gimbal.

Thanks
    Andy.

6. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Oh....ooops....sorry....I think you may have just meant "smaller." My bad -- I thought you were stating a brand name rather than doing my trick of fatfingering the keyboard!

Apologies.

Do you happen to know the model number of the battery?

Andy.

7. Jeff Scholl

Jeff Scholl Distributor

8. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

That's what X-Acto knives are for, no? ;)
    Thanks!

How are you controlling the camera?

And, out of curiosity, what kind of flight times do you get with single QC6200? Or are you putting two up in parallel?

Thanks
    Andy

9. Jeff Scholl

Jeff Scholl Distributor

"How are you controlling the camera?"
    For the FS700 we are shooting the high speed bursts so we need a rec/stop. I use the IR board for this - also you get all the screen info from the composite out so you know when the buffering is finished and it's time for another take.

For my Cinestar 8 I'm testing the 8000 30c's which gives around 7.5-8 minutes with my 5d setup. FS700 I'm guessing right around 6-7 minutes.

Cheers,
    Jeff

10. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Oooh....camera status via comp video. Now *that* I want. :)
    Still haven't solved that problem for the CX760 nor the 5DM3.

Those are respectable flight times, too.

Thanks for the info, Jeff.
    Cheers
    Andy.

11. Jeff Scholl

Jeff Scholl Distributor

On my 5dmk3 I get display out while shooting. Blinking record dot, exposure, TC, battery, etc...

12. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Yeah, sorry....my bad. I realized after I wrote it that you get the recording dot, exposure correction....some of the shooters I work with don't like all that info, but I don't think you can select stuff individually for display.

Andy.

13. Brad Meier

Brad Meier Active Member
    Staff Member

Sorry I missed all this.. wasn't getting notifications on this thread.

Jeff, Is this a standard CS8 with MK stuff? I've got a CS8 all MK boards running 6600mah and do fairly well with the 7D. Just wanted to get some info on what I need to get the camera in the air. I really could have used the high fps recently. Also how long does buffering take after a shot? I would imagine only needing 5 sec at a time max for my application.

14. Jeff Scholl

Jeff Scholl Distributor

Yep, the above is my CS8 with mk boards. The buffer does take a bit, but the display shows you when it's ready to fire again.

Cheers,
    Jeff

15. Benjamin Rowland

Jeff,

To make the longer gimbal arms, did you just cut up an extra boom? Can you offer any tips on getting a clean cut through carbon fiber? Thanks for sharing your knowledge on the forum.

16. Josh Lambeth

Josh Lambeth Well-Known Member

17. Benjamin Rowland

Thanks, Josh. I actually just placed an order for a full length replacement boom. Wish I had seen your post first - maybe I can change the order before it ships. If not, are there any precautions I should take when cutting a carbon fiber tube?

Thanks!

18. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Hi Josh:
    The conventional wisdom for cutting booms is to use a wet tile cutter. I have also heard of folks just binding the boom in masking tape at the cut point and using a Dremel, but the concern is to prevent the fibers from fraying. Then there's the dust problem, too. You can't imagine the amount of dust!

There seems to be a reasonably authoritative guide at http://www.carbonfibertubeshop.com/cut & bond.html -- scroll down to "Cutting FAQ."

Hope this helps.
    Andy

19. Tabb Firchau

Tabb Firchau Administrator
    Staff Member

I cut all my tubes on a circular chop saw. Wear safety goggles and a respirator and cut outside. If you are going to cut a lot of CF you can buy a 'finish' blade for your shop saw which has very little rake on the blade teeth for a smooth cut.

Ideally don't cut if you don't have to.....cutting CF is one of my least favorite things to do!

20. Benjamin Rowland

Thanks for the tips - much appreciated.