/dist/images/branding/favicon

Questions for the first "small batch" of M10 recipients...

Discussion in 'MōVI M10' started by Carey Lee Coffey, Aug 17, 2013.

1. Wes Greene

Wes Greene New Member

This sounds like an interesting alternative. Wondering how weight would stack as compared to Tabb's suggestion.

Certainly run times might be better? And at least you are only swapping one battery at a time - keeps it very simple.

That custom cable sounds good. Let us know!

2. Lliam Worthington

Thanks Austin. Appreciate your input.

3. Lliam Worthington

Carey and Wes, ok cool. I'm just waiting on a quote from a second supplier and will keep you posted. I'm sure we'd get a discount for a larger purchase number.

Had thought about posting group buy on RU Carey, but I'm not sure whether RED with their proprietary cables would be upset if I did so... Would void the warranty too right...? (Mines up anyway)

Wes, yeah I looked into weight pretty similar actually.
    The switronix plate is about 200 g, my 160wh Vmounts are 1050g so 1210 + attachment solution for the Switronix plate to handlebars.
    The 4s lipos linked in this thread are listed as 410g. So three of those would be 1230...

Also DP4 is lighter than RED touch, but if you're using dual canon lp batteries as well, then again the Vmount solution with a RED cable would probably come in slightly lighter...

Mainly I was thinking in terms of simplicity, ease of function and familiarity vs the concerns and care required with Lipos, making it as Producer, Director and camera team friendly and dummy proof as possible - considering rentals also.

Run times... with the touch on our Scarlet we get just under 3 hours, so I'm guessing with Wireless FF and Paralinx around 90 minutes?
    So still need a few Vmounts for a full shooting day.

Cost factor... The 4s listed above was $70 at 30 mins each run time, that $420 - which would make V mounts more cost effective. But you see the 4s lipos listed for under $20 also... so at that price. You could have 3 times the amount of power of a 160whVmount. But that's obviously carrying 18 batteries and needing to charge them while being careful not to start a fire etc...

Cheers Brett :) Nice to have my noobile mind admired. And yeah love to have Freefly weigh in.

Best
    Lliam

4. Carey Lee Coffey

Check out this video... it appears that they are using a long Red touch cable in conjunction with their gimbal. It seems to be working fine.

http://campilots.com/de/news-details/article/colibri-brushless-gimbal.html

Here's a still:

Colibri03-ec1d1524-1.jpeg

5. Christopher Barrett

My Red One monitor cables are so much more pliable than the new woven fabric cables, I can't see them providing much resistance.

I'm imagining Epic + Touchscreen + Sidehandle. If there's room on the back for my +1 Module, that could power the Teradek... then I would just need one LiPo for the FF and one for the Gimball... or one for both? I dunno.

6. Lliam Worthington

Hey Carey,

Yeah I'd seen that. I'm not sure if it's their own custom cable, or an older 4ft non braided as per Christopher's post.
    Thing is RED still stocks non braided cables but only at 6ft or 10ft lengths. Though I was told they are looking into a MOVI cable now and they asked what length I thought would be ideal. Have been advised the braided are definitely too stiff.

Anyhow, seeing if I can find some old ones for sale on RU, and or thinking a custom cable in the interim - then get a RED cable if/when one eventually comes out, as we're also concerned by the idea of warranty be voided if someone wants to shoot with their epic on our rig. The other option is getting a 6ft unbraided now and just wrangling it. But for another hundred, we can have an idea length...

Ok just got the other quote back from the other manufacturer, chinese company http://www.sreada.com/
    $60 usd. Perhaps I should be excited, but I'm not. I don't believe chinese products are synonymous with poor quality anymore. I know a large portion of everything is being made there... But still seriously considering saying, look I'll double your price if you can ensure you will double the quality, which has to be "Outstanding".

Thoughts. Apart from crazy to trust X amount of gear to shitty... etc etc... (I know that :))

7. Carey Lee Coffey

At $60 it's worth at least testing.

8. Lliam Worthington

Yep. Anyone else interested in purchasing?

Best

Lliam

9. Tabb Firchau

Tabb Firchau Administrator
    Staff Member

I will look into the RED monitor issue and see what we can do also. I think we could cook something up in house with some of our flexible silicon wire. I can confirm that the stock cable is WAY too stiff to work well.

Tabb

10. Lliam Worthington

Thanks Tabb, that's great! Staying in house would be ideal. But do you mean over the coming months on the side sort of cook something up? Or hold your horses we should be able to offer a solution in time to hit the ground running - sort of cook something up?

Just that I have to respond to these quotes I requested. Been a bit of chasing this up, as a few people I spoke to balked pretty heavily at RED's 16pin wiring requirements. But as above, I found two who said yes...

Thanks for posting
    Best
    Lliam

11. Charles Bergquist

I'm in for an option for the Red Touch cable if that happens through Freefly or someone else.

12. Nils Ruinet

Nils Ruinet Member

I'm in for the Red LCD cable too. Would be nice to be able to use it on the Mövi.

13. Brett Harrison

Brett Harrison Active Member

I really like the concept of one power source and a RedTouch. Even if it means that one battery needs to be swapped out a bit quicker (and I guess it'd have to be an AB or VMount - would Lipo be too fast to drain?) you have a reliable period of operation and you can simply replace the battery after x number of minutes/takes, between takes. Whereas the distribution of battery failure with a three battery solution would make changeover and downtime more complex, I.e. less predictable.

Happy to be corrected on this.

14. Adam Etheridge

Carey Lee Coffey likes this.
  15. Wes Greene

Wes Greene New Member

I'm keen on a cable. Let us know Tabb/Lliam

The one power source and use of rd touch is fantastic. You could drop the use of side handle and redmote as all control could be through the screen. I like it. Being able to adjust camera settings quickly on the unit like this will be invaluable for smaller crews and more run n gun requirements.

Lliam Worthington likes this.
  16. Carey Lee Coffey

I agree. I keep going back to this set-up:

20111128-120822.jpg

17. Carey Lee Coffey

The AB battery with the Red Touch LCD... The AB could power the Camera, FF, LCD and Paralinx. Then the Lipo would just power the MōVI. Two batteries. Done. I would like confirmation as to whether or not this ab set-up would be too deep for the M10. Thanks!!!

18. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

19. Lliam Worthington

Ok, until RED has or FF comes out with a cable, we are going for a right to right custom 16pin lemo cable from http://www.sreada.com/

William has quoted $60 USD + shipping and any taxes. My invoice is for $84.
    It's at everyone's own risk. But what I will say is that communication has been very good and the pictures look of typical quality.
    I questioned him specifically on the quality, stating we'd even be willing to pay more if it meant it would guarantee high quality of wiring/soldering.

Relevant parts of his response:

Attached is the wiring photo. We are planning to use it to make the lemo cable. It's high quality 16 wire flexible cable.
    We value our cable quality and sales service very much. Our engineer have rich experience. They are all good at soldering cable.
    Also attached is our welding drawing and proforma invoice for your reference. Pls check it and confirm it soon.

We will ship the LEMO cable by DHL once get your confirmation the trial order.
    If your friend and partner like our lemo cable, please let them contact with me .

William Xu
    Shenzhen Sreada Technology Co., Ltd.
    T: 0086 755 33656661 | | M: 86 186 65391794
    E: william@sreada.com
    W: http://www.sreada.com , http://www.sreada.cn
    Products Showroom on Alibaba.com
    ------------------------------------------------------------------

So for those interested just send William an email and let him know you would also like
    one of the 16 pin 32" flexible Lemo cables for RED LCD -- as per Lliam Worthington's quote.

Yeah exactly, I agree Wes. And even on bigger shoots, as was being discussed on the Rentals thread, efficiency and ease on set may be a pretty important factors in helping add value and gaining momentum. (Though I have a RED) biggest issue I have is that this powering solution is obviously RED centric - vs the lipos route. And I guess would need something like this if using a C300...
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/962840-REG/idx_a_e2eosc_v_mount_adapter_for_canon.html

Attached Files:

20. Lliam Worthington

Cable pic that was sent.
    Note: Just a sample to give an example I'd say, but length is wrong here - so am sending an email to confirm 32 inches.
    Which is just my best guess with a little safety room, from looking at pics and measuring my scarlet. If anyone form FF, or who has used one thinks this is cutting it to close - or even too long... love you feedback.

Best

Lliam

Attached Files: