/dist/images/branding/favicon

Canon 6D vs 5D mark iii

Discussion in 'Cameras' started by Keith Colodny, Aug 22, 2013.

1. Keith Colodny

Keith Colodny Member

I have done more research than I care to admit on this. If I wait any longer to pull the trigger there will be a newer model out anyway! I do not see ANY reason AT ALL why the more expensive 5D MK3 is better than the 6D for video from my Cinestar. Any Opinions??

2. Maxis Gamez

Maxis Gamez Member

As a pro photographer I can assure you that the 5DMKIII kills the 6D with AF performance. Sensor wise both are very similar. However, for filming you normally set your AF to manual and infinity with a wide angle, so the 5DMKIII is an over kill unless you convert it to a 4K body which is currently producing unbelievable footage. Some argue as good as the much more expensive Red.

I have both and if I were to do it all over again, I would still get the 5DMKIII.

Good luck!

3. Brad McGiveron

Brad McGiveron Active Member

There is much less aliasing with the 5D3 and a lot with 6D. The 6D video is very comparable to the 5D2 and full of moire and other aliased artifacts. Not very good for deep focus shots.
    4K body ? Not sure I understand...
    You mean with ML Raw I assume ?

4. Keith Colodny

Keith Colodny Member

Thanks. I have read everything about the Moire effect and realize that the 5Dmk3 has anti aliasing but I shoot alot with the Sony FS700 and I see aliasing in that footage as well. The focal points don't mean much to me as I always shoot in manual. The $1500 difference is a nice lens......I am not sure what you mean by 4k body either but you have peaked my curiosity! Now THAT would be a reason to get the 5D!

5. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Check out the results of a Google search for: 5D 4K

Andy.

6. Michael McVay

Michael McVay Active Member

I shoot with both cameras as well and am a big fan of the 6D for still photos...not video. The extra half a pound in weight reduction and smaller size is a great fit for a stock CS8 set up. However, if its use is primarily for video I would not go with the 6D.

7. Brad McGiveron

Brad McGiveron Active Member

Ya Andy
    For sure that alone, the 5D3 is worth the extra cash.

Keith... The FS-700's aliasing is much more pleasing to the eye than the 6D/5D2/7D etc etc. Just a warning again that it is not nearly as good as that. You can buy VAF filters to cut out much of the problem but its at a cost. Some felt the the sensor low pass filter on the 5D3 was too strong and made it softer. It is slightly softer but has very little if any moire. Some 6D shots can be riddled with it.
    Either way the RAW firmware is worth the price difference anyways. Just don't underestimate the aliasing issues with the 6D.. .

btw check this out in regards to Canon RAW https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AgQ2MOkAZTFHdFFIcFp1d0R5TzVPTVJXOEVyUndteGc#gid=5

8. Keith Colodny

Keith Colodny Member

Thanks to all for the advice. Does anybody know anything about the Sont A99 and how it compares to the 5DMk3 for video?

9. Keith Colodny

Keith Colodny Member

The Sony A99 shoots 1080p at 60p. Only full frame Dslr doing that.

10. Dave King

Dave King Well-Known Member

Yeah but who has Sony lenses laying around? Also don't think Sony has any stabilization lens like Canon does which can mean night and day difference for usable material you shoot. IMO the best thing going is the Canon C300 with the EF IS lenses.

11. Keith Colodny

Keith Colodny Member

Sony produces very nice glass and the A99 has mechanical image stabilization built in to the body so it doesn't matter what lenses you use. But I don't have the need for lens stabilization anyway. No pre OR post stabilization was used in any of this demo reel.
    , and everything you see here was shot with a Sony. I just want to move to a full frame and although the 5D seems to be the standard here, I am more familiar with Sony and as I said, it shoots at a higher frame rate. $5000 is still a lot of money to me and thats about the cost of either one with a good lens.

12. Dave King

Dave King Well-Known Member

Keith

To date, this is one of the best copter demo reels I have seen. I thin I need to move to a better location to get footage. LOL.

13. Keith Colodny

Keith Colodny Member

Thanks, I really appreciate that.

14. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

Man, that is some impressive stuff!
    Are you shooting primarily with the S800/Zenmuse?
    Isn't the Zenmuse specifically built for one particular camera (presumably in your case the NEX5/7)?

15. Keith Colodny

Keith Colodny Member

Thanks! Most of what is in that reel is shot with an S800 + Zenmuse and Sony NEX-7 Some of it however was shot with a Cinestar 8 + Cinestar 3 axis gimbal with an FS700. We are moving to the Cinestar for that very reason! We need to be able to shoot with multiple camera platforms and the Zenmuse, as good as it is, is limited to one. We have also decided to move away from DSLR for video from the Cinestar and stay with dedicated videocams. We will be making the Sony FS100 our primary on that platform and keeping the NEX-7 on the S800 as the lenses can be used on both, and the 100 is lighter than the 700.