/dist/images/branding/favicon

What functions do we want from the M10 and M5

Discussion in 'MōVI M10' started by Robert Marks, Aug 23, 2013.

1. Robert Marks

Robert Marks Member

I thought it would be a good idea to give freefly user input on the needs we have from a professional camera gimbal.

There are basically two kinds of people that might have interest in the mövi. On one hand the RC guys that somehow fell into the roll of aerial cinematographers, on the other hand the cinematographers who want to get aerials and stabilized ground work.

I basically come from both sides. I work as cinematographer for several years now, operate steadycam (the big rigs) cineflex, crane gimbals and of course the cameras these rigs carry. Also I fly RC helicopters and planes as a hobby which of course lead to flying multicopters. I started flying with a MK Okto a few years ago with very basic camera platforms. Now I have two modified zenmuse rigs which I like.

The Zenmuse was the very fist brushless gimbal on the market and things have evolved. The Zenmuse is great and it works out of the box (and you can convert it to a handheld gimbal in no time) but it lacks some features i´d wish it to have.

So let´s make a wishlist to freefly and hope they might read it.

I´ll start (I know the mövi already has some of them):

• 2nd operator dampening, the ability to smoothen the RC gimbal op´s inputs to an adjustable point.
    • speed control of input rates for pan and tilt via RC potentiometers (you could do this on better RC TX systems)
    • adjustable motion of the camera (if some life is requested in the pictures)
    • the option to chose RC systems (not everybody wants spektrum, really)
    • an operator laptop like the cineflex one, this makes the thing much more pro with a 3 axis joystick.
    • horizon reset
    • move recording and playback
    • follow mode (majestic) choosable on either pan, tilt or both axes
    • Multiple Power outputs on the rig that transform the input 4s 16V power to stable and filtered 12V and 5V
    • Connecting cable options for different cameras and wireless focus devices (check how a steadycam is wired!)
    • on board HDMI to SD conversion for long range TX RX systems
    Thats it from my side.

best,

Robert

2. Brad Meier

Brad Meier Active Member
    Staff Member

Robert, most of those items listed are already configurable with the M10. I think everyone will be happy at how much control you have over the rig

3. Robert Marks

Robert Marks Member

Sounds great.

Looking forward to detailed information.

4. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Robert agree with Brad. Last three items on your list are more specific to your specific camera setup. So many variations available in the market. Thinking about the beauty of the MōVI, small, light, maneuverable much different than a fully tricked out steadicam. Educational question for you because I've never asked a SC operator, if you have a fully tricked out rig, ready to operate, all balanced with something like an Alexa what is the weight of the rig without the camera unit?

5. Adam Paugh

Adam Paugh Distributor

Hello Robert,

Not sure how much choice you will have about the transmitter choice as the rig is sent out with Spektrum controller. This goes for the laptop control as well for a serial interface.
    I found that the user adjustments were very user friendly via controls on the DX7s and the associated software. Slew rates for pan and tilt are controlled via the transmitter for ramp/rate and can be all pre-tuned and adjusted real time via bluetooth. The axis can be trimmed out in the software as well...for horizon adjustment.

Greetings,
    Adam

6. Brad Meier

Brad Meier Active Member
    Staff Member

Sorry, I'm out for the weekend and dont have mich time but I can say that the MoVi will accept other than spektrum. Ive used both spektrum and futaba systems.

2nd op dampening can be setup in the transmitter and I believe in the software of the M10. I've always just done it transmitter side.

Speed control is available and setup on the spektrum ready to go.

Adjustable motion- I believe your talking about shakey cam that's listed in product description on the main Freefly site.

Majestic mode works pan, tilt, or both as well as majestic pan simultaneously with 2nd op controlling tilt.

Hdmi conversion is handled with an existing Freefly product. HDMi converter.

Multiple outputs and plugs will add weight. The preferred method is to have the cables available and use only what you need for a particular setup. Think lightweight and compact.

Brad

7. Nils Ruinet

Nils Ruinet Member

How about motion control ? Record a move once and replay it at will. Would that be possible in the future ? Might be pretty interesting too !

8. Robert Marks

Robert Marks Member

A rig with an Alexa, 24mm prime, 2x V-Mount batt at bottom part, 1 channel wireless focus, monitor, video link, cables etc. will weight around 15 Kg, varying on detailed setup.

+ arm + vest

Thanks for your answers.