/dist/images/branding/favicon

Questions for the first "small batch" of M10 recipients...

Discussion in 'MōVI M10' started by Carey Lee Coffey, Aug 17, 2013.

1. Carey Lee Coffey

What is that Chris? I searched the Red store, but can't find it. Thanks!

2. Christopher Barrett

It's a prototype on a Dragon. Maybe it'll get here same time as MoVi's...

3. Carey Lee Coffey

Oh, I gotcha. It will probably be a lot of $$ too. Seriously looking into the LiPo option for light weight and economical reasons.

4. Jonathan Stevenson

If Lipos can power the camera and the remote FF, then we're in great shape. Just add another USB battery for the paralinx and you've got yourself a pretty lightweight setup. And if Lipo batteries are only $16 and charge in 30 minutes? Damn, this might be a great way to go!

5. Carey Lee Coffey

I wonder if 1 LiPo can power the camera, MōVI and accessories all-at-once, or if we would need 1 LiPo for the MōVI, 1 for the camera, 1 for the FF etc.

I'm also interested in knowing how to mount all of these batteries.

6. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Carey depends on voltages required for the various components. With appropriate adapters for changing voltage just about anything is possible. On the ones we had at NAB there were three batteries. One for the MōVI, one for the RED/FF and one for the SmallHD monitor (clip on to the back of the monitor). Mounting for the standard MōVI battery is in a pocket on the frame which you can see in some of the photos that have been posted. The RED LiPo is generally so small and light it can be attached with a velcro strap.

7. Christopher Barrett

Gary, for powering an Epic, RR FF and Teradek transmitter, would you pigtail a LiPo into all 3 or distribute power from camera? I'm trying to wrap my head around the rest of the bits that I need to have in place...

Thanks!
    CB

8. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Since I have only worked with the Red at NAB it was separate batteries. I don't know that anything would stop you from using a common battery other than the weight of one large battery might be greater than the individual smaller ones. Since I come from the multi-copter side most operators are pretty competent at coming up with a design for their rig of batteries, splits, voltage devices (look at the Castle BEC which is pretty popular http://www.quadrocopter.com/Battery-Eliminator-Circuit-BEC_p_625.html) and so on. Some of the answer would always depend on total power draw of the various bits. No simple answer would be the bottom line or as we say in the consulting business "It depends".

Let's see what others can offer as they start to get their MōVi's configured and into operation. That's the great part of the forum, open sharing of ideas.

9. Adam Paugh

Adam Paugh Distributor

Ok so what we did for our setup is spliced off of the MōVI Aux lipo pack to power our video downlink (1.2gHz). This is composite video, sorry not HD like Teradek ect. I would not recommend powering anything else off the main Aux pack as the last thing you want is the motor drives to pwr. down mid-shoot (Red chews through lipos). There are indicators that will let you know your remaining power for the rig.

Both the Teradek and the Red can power off of a 4S lipo. I don't know the specs on the RR FF system. The smallHD monitor runs off of our 5D 7.2v batts so that's self-contained. If you guys are starting to look around for accessory mounts and pwr cables ect. here are a few bits that mount right to the handle bar of the rig:

These can be used to mount brackets to the rig chasis: http://www.quadrocopter.com/Frame-Clamps_p_394.html
    A nice universal mounting plate for lipos/accessories: http://www.quadrocopter.com/CineStar-8-Lipo-Battery-Tray_p_461.html
    What we used to mount smallHD monitor: http://www.quadrocopter.com/FreeFly-Camera-Mounting-Plate_p_672.html
    Cable to power Red: http://www.quadrocopter.com/DC-Power-Cable-for-RED_p_857.html
    (--I think we will soon offer a longer version of this LEMO cable)
    Lipo to power Red/Teradek: http://www.quadrocopter.com/QuadroPower-3800-mAh-Lipo-Battery_p_366.html

If there is enough forum interest I can put together a Accessory/power pack package for the MōVI based off these components.

Greetings,
    Adam

10. Carey Lee Coffey

Thank you Adam, that's very useful information. A bundled accessory package would be great!

11. Chris Vallier

Chris Vallier New Member

I'm using the red power cable from quadrocopter running 4s direct into the Epic as well as powering the gimbal components through a regulator. The trouble with this is there must be some sort of ground loop because the video signal goes screwy in flight. No problem when running the 5d though..

12. Jeff Cook

Jeff Cook Member

Adam, it's great to read some helpful information.

13. Joseph Mullins

Joseph Mullins New Member

adam, we are certainly interested, as i am sure most of us broadcast folks who are more accustomed to complete solutions and less with the world of RC, especially something that includes fast chargers and maybe a super-lightweight set of SDI cables. we are going to need a set up for a red epic, teradek and monitor within the next few weeks.....hopefully...freefly willing.

if you get a system ready, i can pretty much guarentee we will be buying it.

14. Adam Paugh

Adam Paugh Distributor

So we are prepping a Scarlet for a trip this weekend. In this photo we have hdmi out to the AC-7 monitor and a LEMO power connector to a 4S lipo. These wiring assemblies are best in class for flexibility so as to minimize any mechanical resistance to the gimbal. The paralinx downlink transmitter will sit adjacent to the lipo pack so we can splice power right off it and share with the Red.

Bare with us for the follow focus as most our work is aerial and this is not typically a concern.

Attached Files:

15. Chuy Valadez

Chuy Valadez New Member

Can anyone confirm that the SmallHD DP4 provides 5V 1A auxiliary output from the USB port? If so, that is perfect for the Paralinx Tx.

16. Lliam Worthington

I was told by redrockmicro. "For the MoVi that uses LiPo batteries, MoVi is going to produce a cable to power the remote."
    Be great if someone from Freefly could find a moment to confirm the cables and powering that will be provided as well as
    official best practice/solutions and rigging suggestions. I know you guys must be busy. But if someone could just give an hour to cover these bases - maybe even throw up a quick vid.... it'd be very helpful and greatly appreciated as we all look to get everything in place so that we can be good to go.

Adam, we would very likely be interested in a "package" also. Thanks for the consideration.
    Thanks for posting the pic of your Scarlet rig too. What are you using to op the camera btw? Redmote stashed away there somewhere?

17. Drew Kachurak

Drew Kachurak Member

Chuy- yes, the SmallHD DP4 provides 5V from the USB port. I had the same question and confirmed with SmallHD

18. Chuy Valadez

Chuy Valadez New Member

Drew,

Thank you for the response. Are you planning to power the DP4 off of the battery plate or some custom solution from a Lipo 4S? I was thinking of just using Canon batteries on the DP4 plate and pushing the Paralinx off of that, but maybe that's adding unnecessary weight. Any thoughts?

19. Drew Kachurak

Drew Kachurak Member

I don't actually know yet. I'm thinking that separating the power for cam/paralinx is best so we can squeeze the most time possible before switching lipos. I'll probably have both solutions available and see what works best.

Edit: looking at Adam's picture of the Scarlet on the Movi, it shows the canon batteries on the DP4 - We'll probably go that route as well.

20. Carey Lee Coffey

From the info I've gathered so far, I am leaning toward powering the MōVI, the Red and my MK3 wireless FF with LiPo's and my DP4 and Paralinx with a Canon battery. Does this sound about right?