/dist/images/branding/favicon

Questions for the first "small batch" of M10 recipients...

Discussion in 'MōVI M10' started by Carey Lee Coffey, Aug 17, 2013.

1. Carey Lee Coffey

Here are some questions for the small batch of people that are currently taking shipment of their M10's:

1. How many batteries came with your unit?

2. How do you mount your unit to a C-Stand? Does it come with a docking stand like a steadicam?

3. Did your unit come shipped in a nice hard case or laser cut Pelican Case? (After spending 15k, it would be great if it came in its own case.)

4. Did your unit come shipped with some sort of tray to hold the monitor for the joystick operator, and straps that go around the operator's neck to hold the entire unit in place? (I saw this set-up in the Burton Snowboards bts video... it would be great to know if this is how your units shipped.)

5. Can one of you lucky souls do an unboxing video and post it here with a detailed list of exactly what came with your shipment? That would be awesome, thanks!

2. Carey Lee Coffey

Anyone? Anyone?

JGriffinRicker likes this.
  3. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Carey I'll give this a try but understand I may not have the latest info.

1. 2 batteries. One should last most of a shoot day. Pretty sure that additional batteries will be available through either the Freefly distributors or direct.

2. It does come with a stand for doing the adjustments and balancing. It does not come with anything for mounting to other types of mounts, jibs, steadicams. However we did see it mounted to both Steadicam and Easyrig at the NAB show.

3. No it does not include a storage case. But does ship in a good foam box

4. All of the other bits and pieces are left up to the operator to source. Depending on your requirements we can make suggestions here on the forum or if you see something in one of the photos or behind the scenes videos we can probably identify the piece of gear. The setup in the Burton was using the tray and harness from www.secraft.net. They make great stuff.

Hope this helps. If I get a correction I'll get it posted.

4. Lliam Worthington

Thanks for starting this thread Corey, and thanks for that Gary. Much appreciated.

As a Scarlet owner/op - can anyone please advise on a cable or custom cable supplier you would recommend that would have the play required to connect and use the Red touch? Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

I have contacted RED to ask for assistance - and will update here when I hear back.

Best
    Lliam

5. Carey Lee Coffey

Thank you for your answers Gary. I would like to respond:

1. Two batteries sounds good, but I wonder how long they would last when powering both the M10 and a Red Epic. I also would like to know if the charger will charge both batteries at once, or only one at a time. At the end of each shoot day, all batteries will need to be charged simultaneously as no one will be waking up in the middle of the night to swap batteries.

2. I'm just interested in knowing where the unit will live between shots and set ups. I'm assuming it will go on its stand. I was curious to know how the Burton Snowboards guys did it because they said it "lived on a C-stand between takes".

3. No Pelican case. Okay. So I will have to come up with something on my own. Btw, if anyone out there wants to make custom laser-cut Pelican cases for the MōVI, you will sell thousands of them.

4. Okay, it looks like I have a lot of research to do.

5. I echo Liam's question about a super flexible cable for the Red Touch. Or maybe a wireless option? This would be another big seller.

6. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

Carey I understand the battery is 3-4 hours run time for the M10. At NAB a separate battery was used for the Red. Not sure what charger is coming with the unit. Since I fly the Cinestar the chargers I use (Hyperion 720i Duo and an FMA Powerlab 8) would typically charge the small battery in about 20 minutes. Not very much time at all.

I'll look at the BTS again and see if I can figure out the C-stand comment.

7. Adam Paugh

Adam Paugh Distributor

We took delivery of our first rig on Saturday and ran around with it for most the weekend with the GH3. I did not keep exact use time of the battery, but it lasted most of the day. Two of these batteries came with the kit. Picture below shows how it was delivered.

Greetings,
    Adam

Attached Files:

Fabien Rubio and Steve Maller like this.
  8. Phil Macdonald

They are coming with Spektrum radio's? I swear all the videos show them rocking a Futaba 8FG Super and just sort of assumed that was what was coming with the M10....Thtas a shame :S

9. Adam Paugh

Adam Paugh Distributor

The transmitter was fully set up out of the box. The rig requires five channels for full operation:

--pan (aileron/right stick...left and right)
    --tilt (elevator/right stick..up and down)
    --tilt rate (throttle...up and down)
    --pan rate (ctrl knob)
    --3 pos. switch (motor drive off, dual operator, single op/Majestic mode)

On power up the rig defaults to Majestic mode. The transition from Majestic mode to dual operator (upon stick activation) is seemless. The transmitter is not required if you want to simply run a shot in Majestic mode.

Fabien Rubio likes this.
  10. Carey Lee Coffey

Please explain why it's a shame. What's the difference? Thanks!

11. Robin Charters

Robin Charters New Member

What order number were you Adam?

12. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Adam is FF's primary (if not only) distributor in the USA, Robin. So I suspect he might be order number #0001. :) Or even higher priority.

Andy.

13. Carey Lee Coffey

I'm thinking about going with a V-Mount battery set up to power the camera and wireless FF separately.

Now that they've upgraded the weight capacity of the M10, do you guys think this set up will work?

5282.jpg

14. Phil Macdonald

To be perfectly honest Carey there really is no difference, I am making a bit of a deal over nothing. I just think the Futaba looks a bit nicer and has more programming options and channels if I wanted to use it in the future in a different application but it makes sense from a Freefly point of view to keep costs down by sending out a cheaper but still perfectly good transmitter. The post from Adam was quite helpful where it mentioned exactly what does what and it shows that you only need 5 channels anyway so its all good. Its purely a cosmetic thing....

15. Robin Charters

Hey Adam, can you measure the dimensions of the foam insert so that we can spec it out for a Pelican Case?

Or perhaps the folks at FreeFly Cinema could give us some guidance?

16. Carey Lee Coffey

Great idea Robin. Can you let me know where you're going to get yours made too so I can do the same? Thanks!

17. Brad Meier

Brad Meier Active Member
    Staff Member

Carey,

Issue with that setup is the height in the back. Weight won't be too much of a problem, just the dimensions.

18. Robin Charters

Just to be more clear, the outside dimensions of the foam insert. Im thinking about just putting the foam that it shipped with inside the case

Fabien Rubio likes this.
  19. Adam Paugh

Adam Paugh Distributor

Hello Robin,

The die cut foam panel in the image above measures: 25.25"x19.25"x3.25". These dimensions do not include the two cut cube blocks in the rear which support the upper layer of protective foam.

Greetings,
    Adam

Fabien Rubio likes this.
  20. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

Answer on the C-stand question. The prototypes did not have end caps on the boom grip at the top. So some folks simply took a C-stand with an arm and slid it over the arm. A form of a tripod mount which is a clever way of doing a mount.