/dist/images/branding/favicon

And so it begins....

Discussion in 'MōVI M10' started by Phil Macdonald, Aug 14, 2013.

1. Tabb Firchau

Tabb Firchau Administrator
    Staff Member

2. Howard Dapp

Howard Dapp Active Member

Very sexy Tabb! Loving the the use of milled aluminum and the double 15mm tubing...easier to mount readily aavailable follow focus systems. I suspect this version is much more rigid than the original.

3. Wolfgang Armin

Wolfgang Armin Active Member

Cool! One thing I particularely like is how cleaned up it looks compared to my "overwired" three axis gimbal.

4. Brett Harrison

Brett Harrison Active Member

First post, hi all, very excited to be a part of this.

5. Wes Greene

Wes Greene New Member

Great work Tabb. A company that ships and delivers as promised! Unique.

I'm order number 9 - given it will be an international payment transfer can I have a little more than three days notice?!?!

6. Phil Macdonald

Out of interest Wes what payment options are you being given as we are international as well.

7. Wes Greene

Wes Greene New Member

none yet - haven't had any notification from freefly - hoping to soon

8. Phil Macdonald

Oh my apologies, I assumed that being order no. 9 you would have been part of the first batch that was sent out yesterday....guess they weren't kidding when they said that the first batch was small....

9. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

Wow, Tabb. Pure sexiness. Wonderful work!!!

10. Tabb Firchau

Staff Member

Hi Guys, I just want to re-iterate that your order number does not correlate to your place in line. We have an international dealer network who were also placing M10 and MR pre-orders at the same time as everyone else.

Glad you are liking the new MōVI, it has been difficult not to share pictures up until now.

Tabb

11. Adam Paugh

Adam Paugh Distributor

Great pictures, Tabb.

Looking forward to releasing our MōVI into the wild of Montana tomorrow!

Greetings,
    Adam

12. Phil Macdonald

I must admit that has also taken me a little by surprise....I am pretty active with regards to keeping an eye on your facebook page/forums etc and have read pretty much everything out there with regards to the MoVI and I don't remember that nugget ever being said, in fact the deposit page specifically said that the '$2500 deposit holds your place in line'....and with a sequential number being given as a order number one would assume that this means if someone ordered 2 mins after me they would be behind me in the line?

As JGriffin mentions, it is incredibly difficult to plan with the information that is being given and I am also curious on whether your international dealer network are being given any sort of priority. If I can just buy a unit in the UK before my pre-order is fulfilled that will be highly irritating....I think it is important to remember that a lot of individuals, both freelancers and small businesses have invested a large amount of money into a product that is essentially an unknown. I really hope that preference isn't being given to shops and or US citizens.

Considering we are paying $15,000 to you for this product and that there are at least $5000 worth of accessories needed to make the MoVI fully functional it would be super helpful to be given a bit of information on when we may individually expect orders to be fulfilled....I have sent emails, started conversations on this forum and asked questions, 90% of which have been ignored unfortunately. It is simple maths really, if you know how many orders there are and you say its going to take 2 months to fulfill said orders you could very quickly find where we are in line and as such when that order would likely be shipped. I appreciate that things change and you may have QC issues which will push an order back a week or two but some communication in this area is necessary when you are talking money at this level.

We, like many others are in pre production for a number of projects and having the MoVI on these would be incredibly useful and like everyone else we are extremely excited to start using these units. But I feel that the customer service is sort of selectively brilliant, when it is a question you want to answer you get back to us very quickly but the delivery question has been asked many times by a lot of different people and not a huge amount of information has been given.

Phil

13. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

Mr. Ricker, you should know better than to base business decisions on non-existent products. I am anxiously looking forward to Apple's release of their sexy new Mac Pro tower that they previewed a few months ago. But I am not holding my breath or selling my existing old Mac Pro any time soon. Freefly are way out ahead of the market and are pushing the many technologies in the MōVI farther than any real company out there right now, and at a fraction of the cost of anything remotely like it (Steadicam, Cineflex, etc.). And they are starting to ship, but they made it clear from the outset that these are being hand-assembled, and will not ship until they're absolutely ready.

Yes, I'm sure your business will benefit greatly from the MōVI, and the down payment is a substantial investment. But they have made it clear that you can get a refund at any time, and they are not collecting the balance from anybody until their goodies are ready to ship. So just keep this in perspective.

14. Carey Lee Coffey

As a long time Reduser, I learned not to count on anything. For example, when the MōVI was first announced, I asked if you would be able to use the sidehandle and Redvolts with the MōVI, and I was told "No... the battery that powers the MōVI will also power the camera" and so I subsequently sold my side handle, 8 revolts and quad charger. You can imagine my disappointment when they announced that the MōVI can now hold the Red with side handle. Now I have to buy everything all over again. Also, I paid for the M10 and it quietly became the M12. My concern now is that the "M12" will be wider than I want for tight spaces like car interiors, where the M10 would have fit better.

15. Phil Macdonald

It must be as annoying as the 25 minutes that you get out of a redvolt :) but in all seriousness both Steve and Carey make good points I think really and I might have a gotten a bit carried away with my typing (i do that...) but the essence is not so much in the delivery but not being able to fine tune it a little more if an individual asks and the fact that the order number evidently has no reference to place in line I am just worried that the owner/operator is getting pushed to the side for a dealer network. Having this shipped over to the UK and going through customs I am already anticipating being a pain in the ass, if I end up getting it at the same time as a dealer over here could get it to me that will be annoying ya know....

JGriffinRicker likes this.
  16. Jonathan Stevenson

The strange thing to me here is that there still aren't even official specs from Freefly about this system. The information regarding the rig is still very vague. On the product page, it says "Product includes... Batteries." Ok... how many batteries? How long do they last? Can they power anything else? There still isn't even a video showing someone setting up and balancing a rig, details on the operation, anything!

Not trying to be a whiner here, and you definitely wont catch me complaining about when the unit will actually ship (I'll just be happy when it does) but I sure would love at least a little more information on what the final production kits entail, what they're capable of, etc considering many of us took the leap of faith to put down a deposit on a yet-unreleased product. Especially considering there's a lot of other gear to purchase to make this a complete kit. But how can I do that if I know nothing until the unit arrives? Please throw us a bone...

JGriffinRicker likes this.
  17. Jonathan Stevenson

Anything! Just any more information on how the system works. The only new information we've gotten since NAB is "now it can hold 12lbs." The whole thing is still a complete mystery to me and it's supposed to be at my doorstep in a matter of weeks? Just seems really strange.

18. Howard Dapp

Howard Dapp Active Member

FreeFly is an RC equipment based company now venturing into the professional filmmaking tools industry, two totally different industries with completely different expectations from customers. RC hobbyist, more often than not, can expect to troll around RC forums in search for information, specifications and instructions on how to use/operate a newly purchased piece of equipment that lacked or had minimal written documentation...we've become accustomed to this. Non RC guys should not and I'm sure will not have to troll for information regarding Movi...i'm positive FreeFly will release in due time.

Non RC customers purchasing movi will have a steep learning curve, FreeFly understands this and it shows in the new design...tooless balancing and a few other updates that I can see, all of which will simplify things for non RC guys to a degree. I myself own a direct drive gimbal (as we call them in the rc world) and on first look it looks similar to movi (as does others here who have built a direct drive gimbal) and stabilizes just as well as movi but the key difference between movi and what we rc guys have built is payload. Sure some of us can haul an Epic but let's be real here...try and mount a follow focus setup, cinema lens, side handle with REDvolt then go out and bang around town, jog up a flight of stairs or run down the street...to be honest 'our' gimbals probably wouldn't make it off the balancing table.

My point? I don't know...just wanted something to say :)

19. Tabb Firchau

Staff Member

Hey Guys...Your passionate comments are a testament to your belief in the MoVI and for that we are extremely grateful. We understand that many people have made specific commitments for the MoVI and not having specific ship dates has caused quite a bit of frustration. That said, we are pioneering a new technology and it takes time (some times it takes more time than we expected). We were elated with the reception we received at NAB (and subsequently) and are working to ship the best product possible as soon as possible....Game-changers encounter bumps in the road along the way and we sincerely appreciate everyone's patience as we work through them and get this amazing product into your hands. So to clear up as much of the ambiguity as we can right now:

• Order numbers, while not an exact match for your place in line, are in fact meaningful in the order we ship. We have multiple order systems that generate multiple numbers and we have an internal system that translates them all into a specific shipping order.
    • We will continue to test new cameras and accessories for compatibility, so what is not compatible right now, may eventually become compatible. We will continue to evolve and find ways to make the products do more, carry more, and be as universally compatible as possible without compromising quality.
    • As soon as we get 2 solid weeks of building / testing / shipping under our belts we will be able to give customers a better idea of when to expect their units.
    Cheers,

Tabb

20. Chris Vallier

Chris Vallier New Member

Can you confirm that dealer orders will or will not supersede those of us who ordered hours after the web-portal was opened during nab?