/dist/images/branding/favicon

Flying over water? - Tips

Discussion in 'CineStar FAQ - Tips and Tricks' started by Chris Newman, May 2, 2013.

1. Nick Adams

Nick Adams Member

I think I may have a solution. How about an auto inflation life jacket. Not sure if it would work but its the perfect shape.
    You get a full range of motion on the gimbal, its not heavy (although its a little unbalanced on one side because of the CO2 charge).
    May just tip over but you would still save the frame. I might set it off and test it in a pool.

Attached Files:

2. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

That's intriguing, but for the 99.99% of the time that you're not actually crashing into the drink, that's going to produce some unwanted air turbulence. But I agree that something along those lines would be great. Just a very tightly-packed mylar balloon (or several of them) with moisture sensors would do it. Something like this: http://www.google.com/patents/US5357888

3. Steve Maller

4. Nick Adams

Nick Adams Member

I agree, if you could get something that is more compact but along those lines it would be a great setup.
    After all the lifejacket in the pic is rated for a grown adult, so there must be room for downsizing.

5. Steve Maller

6. Nick Adams

Nick Adams Member

Thats awesome Steve, we could be onto something here

7. Chris Newman

Chris Newman Member

Hey Guys,
    I fitted the pool noodles and covered all but the front and back in black gaffers tape so I can see orientation easier. Worked great! I had 2 seperate shoots in humid missouri the past 2 weeks. Both mornings with fog over the water motors 7 and 8 would not start up. I pulled out my hair dryer on the boat ( i had a generator for charging batteries) ran the blowdryer over the BL's for 5-10 seconds, fixed the issue, good for the rest of the day. (I received my acrylic spray for the boards, but have not had time to spray yet)
    Note: I would not use the shower cap, everything gets super hot!

Here are some video clips from the 2 shoots.

The final result of the Wakeboarding comp for Devin Graham. (It was a competition, so we were limited on how close we could get, wish I had some one on one time with the guys.)

A behind the scenes from the Bass Pro Shops shoot on thursday. Their crew filmed and edited this BTS vid. It's great, I never get BTS shots like these :) Filmed both days all over the water, talk about stress!!!

8. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

9. Nick Adams

Nick Adams Member

Very cool, Thats ballsy flying from the boat. one bump....... doesn't bare thinking about. gave me palpitations watching.
    Awesome Wake Boarding footage, no wonder you had problems thats a fog your flying through:)

10. Jeff Scholl

Jeff Scholl Distributor

Big fan of flying over water.
    Here is some b-roll samples from a bass show last year with the GH2.

Cheers,
    Jeff

11. Steve Maller

Indeed, once you get your courage, it's awesome to fly over the water.

12. Chris Newman

Chris Newman Member

Looks great guys! Steve did you use the radians for that non stabilized footy? Looks great!

13. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Copters and other aircraft (a) don't know about probabilities, and (b) don't know they're over water.
    Only Murphy knows. :)

Andy.

14. Steve Maller

Yes, Radians on tilt and roll on a 2-axis gimbal.

15. Rex Peters

Rex Peters New Member

I bought one of these!! Very light!! Just trying to think of a way to attach with some fishing line on a spool to float to the surface.
    Anybody got any ideas??

16. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

How heavy (in water) is your copter, Rex? It appears to only have 2.2 pounds lifting capacity.

You might want to consider some kind of cylindrical container, one end of which has a water-soluble membrane over the end that would dissolve away in water. I started out thinking of something like rice paper, but there's got to be something better than that.

Andy.

Rex Peters likes this.
  17. Nick Adams

Nick Adams Member

How about the small detergent filled plastic sacks that you put in a washing machine? Maybe cut one up and tape the material to the top of a tube. Not sure how quick it would dissolve

18. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Or perhaps a small plastic cup that you seal with paper glued on with a flour'n'water glue? Don't know how quickly it dissolves, but some quick experiments would shot that.

I would have suggested the plastic containers used for 35mm film, but they're a little harder to come by -- but they make great storage thingies.

Andy.

19. Rex Peters

Rex Peters New Member

I just came up with an idea. I am going to use a dental floss dispenser and wind with 30# or 50# test. I thought the floss was pretty strong but would only do about 10#s. If I get it working I'll post some photos.

20. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member