/dist/images/branding/favicon

Sony CX760 or something better?

Discussion in 'Cameras' started by Nick Adams, Aug 8, 2013.

1. Nick Adams

Nick Adams Member

We all know that the Sony CX760 has been a favorite camera on this forum (dedicated video that is), I'm just wondering if anything could replace it now that it is discontinued. Take away the fact that it can do stills because I am not convinced of its stills capability. How about this: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/749467-REG/Canon_4922B002_XA10_HD_Professional_Camcorder.html
    I am thinking about getting this for work, I know its heavier than the CX760 but its way lighter than most.
    What do you guys think about flying this cam?
    Would the GH3 be better as it can do stills?
    Any other viable options?

Cheers

Nick

2. Nick Adams

Nick Adams Member

Should have posted in cameras, my bad.

3. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

4. Nick Adams

Nick Adams Member

5. Paul conto

Paul conto Member

Its a camera i have been highly looking at getting to film with. I had the chance to use one, not fly it, and the quality is great and comparatively its rather light. They are also coming out with the XA20 and XA25 so the cost of XA10 should drop soon if it hasn't already.

6. Dave King

Dave King Well-Known Member

Nick

Sony has several camcorders in the 760 size that have the BOSS stabilization, they just don't have the LANC connector that allows you to zoom, trigger pictures, or trigger record. If you really need the LANC I still see PJ760's on amazon brand new and you can pick up a used one for a really good price. I rarely find the need to zoom remotely and I'm not using the Sony 760 for stills. The JVC XA10 you mean is big, balky and heavy. You'd have to do a lot to get that to fit the gimbal. For all that hassle and extra weight I would rather have the 5DMKIII, 7D or 5DMKII and stabilize in post than the JVC XA10. The Panasonic GH3 seems to be the best option for cost if you are looking for one camera to fit all the needs depending upon what your still needs are.

7. Paul conto

Paul conto Member

Dave, that link is for the CANON XA10 which is vey light and and useful camera. More thinking about it though is at $1600 why not get the new Blackmagic at $1000 and get some decent glass and your set. I haven't gone through the specs side by side yet but just another option I just though of.

8. Nick Adams

Nick Adams Member

Hey Dave,

I'm not sure if your thinking of something else but this is a Canon camera I'm talking about.
    It has Lanc connectivity

Nick

9. Dave King

If you are looking for BOSS stabilization why not buy a new PJ760 from Amazon or buy a 760 used? I see a lot of modifications to the gimbal to accomodate the size of that camera.

10. Dave King

I know, see my previous post. I think there are one or two PJ760's new for sale and or just buying a used 760 is a lot less hassle than trying to get a larger camera like that to fit and balanced.

11. Nick Adams

Nick Adams Member

Gotcha OK thanks

12. Nick Adams

Nick Adams Member

I think The new Blackmagic has a small chip and no stabilization. I would not be considering switching from the 5D if it were not for the fact that I need a dedicated video camera for work, I figured if I could get one that I could fly with it may come in handy. The Canon XA10 or XA20 would be good fit as I need the pro XLR audio ports. If you are not using them you can detach the handle, saving weight and
    reducing the size of the camera. Weight wise, I believe its about half a pound heavier than the Sony I know it has three levels of stabilization although i'm not sure how good it is. I am not sure if you could remotely operate it or not.

Nick