/dist/images/branding/favicon

MoVI Shipping Update

Discussion in 'MōVI M10' started by Phil Macdonald, Jul 1, 2013.

1. Howard Dapp

Howard Dapp Active Member

Are any of these rigs out in the wild unsupervised by FreeFly? Has there been extensive long term real-world testing on production sets unsupervised by FF? i'm just curious how normal, non-RC folks are getting along setting up these rigs....taking the time to properly balance, yes lot's of time balancing as well as configuring PID settings. these units are not plug n play. How are these lightweight carbon fiber rigs holding with day to day use on a real production set? These carbon fiber units are not very rugged. I'm just so very curious how normal people will get along with setting these rigs up and handling day to day. The reward is great but I see many many users with dreams of grandeur and not spending the required time to get it working as advertised.

2. Jeff Cook

Jeff Cook Member

Howard you hit the nail on the head, there needs to more information out there for everyone to understand what the MoVI will be able to do. When working as a Stedicam Op in the video world, I am constantly having to deal with producers that think I'm walking around with a magic stick that can shoot anything anywhere. They don't see it as a tool but as a replacement for everything.

My fear is they will do the same with the MoVI and try to shoot EVERTHING with it, expect it to make the whole production go faster and then loose intrest in it when reality sinks in.

I believe that the MoVI, as a rental item without a tech, will go the way of Stedicam, I don't think your average Joe will have the patients to learn what it takes to use it effecently. I think there will be a need for an experienced operator or tech on every shoot.

3. Tabb Firchau

Tabb Firchau Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi Guys,

As soon as we can give you a firm delivery time we will. There are a lot of things inbound right now which will determine our initial production capacity. As Lliam noted we don't want to give you a 'firm' delivery time only to miss it because a supplier does not deliver our packaging boxes on time.

We fully understand that firm information is what you need, and we will get it to you as soon as we are able to.

Thanks

Tabb

Andrew Griffiths likes this.
  4. Phil Macdonald

I have obviously said before that it would be helpful to know a more exact date of delivery but honestly thats more of a wishful thinking because I totally understand how Tabb and Freefly will have a number of factors that aren't necessarily set in stone yet that will determine that answer and I agree with the poster who mentioned that they will almost certainly want to under promise and over deliver and that works just fine for me. I think you're right as well that everyone has a feature that is of the upmost importance and requires immediate delivery or else will be an utter failure. I am going down a very similar route as Lliam in that I have said to production we may or may not have it. I totally understand that there are some projects where that approach would not be feasible and can totally understand that frustration but I would say if it is that close to delivery I would highly recommend assuming you won't have it.

The point I made to production as well is that even if we have taken delivery before the 16th Sept start date there is a high chance it wont be something we can just run in and be awesome with. Like any new bit of kit there will be practice and tests required. The communication between MoVI op and Gimbal Op will be super important. Just because Tabb can balance a camera in 15 mins does not mean Joe Bloggs can....if we want to change a parameter we will have to consult a manual, find the menu, work out what the hell we are doing where as a Freefly tech will just flip a switch. There is also the factor that we have prepared as best we can in terms of accessories, wireless feed, wireless follow focus etc. but I am certain we will put it all together and be missing one cable that we will need to order etc. etc. It would be wrong to assume its just going to work straight out of the box and we can recreate goodfellas in one day!!

The one thing I don't think anyone should be doing is turning to anger and resentment. Again, I get 'JGriffinRicker' in that its a little frustrating and a large amount of money is involved but I think there is an element still of 'oh shit we weren't expecting it to be this popular' and also if they said our MoVI was going to be delivered 1st September and we promised production it was going to be there and then all of a sudden it wasnt....thats a much bigger issue. If we can't use it for this feature then fine, we'll use it on the next one!!

Phil

Andy Johnson-Laird likes this.
  5. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Phil that was well said.

6. J Griffin Ricker

Standing offer of $1000 to anyone willing trade me my spot of #381 for their place in line for a M10 that will be delivered before September 12th. My offer might go up the closer it gets to August 15th depending on my options. I can be reached at 3DP at Jgriffinricker.com. I will not be back to this forum, so please don't send PM's. Thanks!

7. Wolfgang Armin

Wolfgang Armin Active Member

Why aren´t you trying to get in contact with freefly. If I remember right, they tried to get out rental rigs occasionally.
    I can´t help, I´m at #410.

Tabb, any wording on the spare-parts front? It was asked repeatedly, but I could´t find any statement from freefly. Would you be kind enough to give us an insight? I understand that you want to avoid giving out parts to copycats, but if someone buys an item it wouldn´t be too funny, not being able to get any spare parts (for months) after a crash - especially with the MR. Not that I´m planning to crash, but I always like to be on the safe side.

8. Garry Clarke

Garry Clarke Member

I agree with Wolfgang. I'd also like to see a list of any accessories and costs, which has also been requested in the past.

Cheers
    Garry

9. Austin Glass

Austin Glass Active Member

I have a similar order number, but when I compare mine to yours, I don't see any number sequence that makes sense. I think they must have changed the ordering system recently.

My order number is #93E169D6
    Ordered on 7/19 from movirig.com

There's no 4-digit number sequence, and I'm certainly not #169, so I don't know what to think of it. Can anybody else shed some insight? I'm okay with not being in the first batch since I'm still putting the money together, but I'm still curious where I land.

10. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

It looks like a hexadecimal number that's encoding some information, but I have no idea what that information would be, I'm afraid. Most likely a sequence number and a date but that's baseless speculation on my part.
    (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hexadecimal if you would care to know more about hexadecimal, aka "hex.")

Andy.

11. Austin Glass

That could be it. I'm no hex pro, but I read a Wikipedia page once (;)), and the decoders I found online put out nonsense characters, so my best guess it's some kind of internal numbering system that I'm sure makes sense to them. When I placed the order I knew I was going to be low on the list, so I guess I will just patiently wait!

12. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

The encoding will take the form of data in binary that happens to be more convenient displayed in hex so without looking at it in binary you'll never see the pattern -- and it could easily be encrypted -- in which case all bets are off.

Given the NSA is probably monitoring this forum, maybe they can help? ;)

Andy.

Austin Glass likes this.
  13. Adam Paugh

Adam Paugh Distributor

Hello,

Formatting for order IDs will be different between the initial M10/MR offering in April and the M5 released in July.

Greetings,
    Adam

14. Austin Glass

I can't speak for the other guy with the new order number, but I ordered an M10.

15. Lliam Worthington

Yes. My order is for an M10 also.
    Just as long as it's in I'm not concerned by the numbers, just curious. Or at least I was until Andy put a hex on me and made my head explode. ;)

Austin Glass likes this.
  16. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

As the geek saying goes, "There are 10 kinds of people. Those that understand binary and those that don't." :)

Andy.

17. Lliam Worthington

18. Austin Glass

As the NERD saying goes, "there are II kinds of people. Those that understand Roman numerals and those that don't."

19. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Num quid ilud negat!
    Andy.

20. Howard Dapp

Howard Dapp Active Member

When the Epic is mounted on movi does it have to be powered by a separate lipo similar to how we power the Epic on RC copters? Or are users able to use redvolts with the adapter plate out back? I think I see a separate lipo powering the Epic in one of the movi videos.