/dist/images/branding/favicon

My Brushless Gimbal Conversion + Flying Footage!

Discussion in 'Camera Mount Misc' started by Josh Lambeth, Jun 17, 2013.

1. Frederic Landry

Frederic Landry New Member

I am interested in the conversion kit.

2. Josh Lambeth

Josh Lambeth Well-Known Member

Sorry I have been quiet on this. We are having a new run of parts made so we can make them lighter. Our current versions weigh more than I would like. Im hoping to cut the weight in half. We also are getting our parts made for our 3rd (Pan) axis. This will allow us to have a full conversion kit ready. Hoping next week to have some test footage.

Josh

3. Jason Toth

Jason Toth Active Member

Sign me up as well, sent you a PM conversation.
    Thanks, J

4. Howard Dapp

Howard Dapp Active Member

5. Jason Toth

Jason Toth Active Member

Would love to see some footage from the Brushlessgimbals.com gimbal!

6. Howard Dapp

There's loads of these conversion around the web. If you've ever messed around with these thing you'll quickly realize a bl gimbal is a bl gimbal....it really doesn't matter, it all boils down to what you're able to carry and proper tuning. A bl gimbal is not so forgiving compared to a servo driven gimbal...if any alignment is off or you're out of balance you won't make it very far in your endeavor.

7. Andrew Griffiths

We converted using the kit Howard mentioned. It works great but quite limited in it's ability to carry DSLR+ camera that is working against a stiff headwind. I'm currently working on some new beefed up motors and looking forward to seeing a new breed of controllers that can handle the power requirements:) .

Devin Card likes this.
  8. Howard Dapp

The actual conversion kit is not the issue, it's the motors. The 5208s are the same motor everyone else is using. Yes, not enough torque for strong headwinds. i believe Josh has this same issue when in flight.

who knows, maybe movi MR will have these same issues. Big torque is not something you'll find on any bl gimbal. I hear the 4114s may have a little more torque...currently testing those.

9. Andrew Griffiths

Nice Howard. Let us know how you get on with the 4114's.

I don't think there are any off the shelf BL motors that are up to the task at this stage. Throw a little wind at them and they just don't have the holding power. I'm hoping the Movi will be up to the task because I'm tired of hacking motors!

10. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

What are you using to mount these? Is this on a FF gimbal? How many are you testing? 2? 3? Thanks!
    Steve

11. Jason Toth

Jason Toth Active Member

Thanks Andrew, that was my concern.

I'm needing something that can take an Epic, CP.2, Fiz Dual Channel and keep up in 15knot winds but for under the MoVi's 14k price.

2) Does the conversion kit from Brushlessgimbals.com have enough room/clearance to house larger motors? I'd hate to invest in it just to have to modify, fabricate or purchase something else in the coming months.

2) Looking forward to hearing about the 4114 motors - has anyone found larger motors that works? I'm more concerned on performance than weight.

3) What controllers are people currently using? Are most using 1 controller per 3 axises

4) Curious on how the Alexmos V3.0 w/ 3 axis will handle the weight of an epic, they state its release is next week.

Thanks, J

12. Bill Collydas

Bill Collydas Active Member

Why don't you use belt reduction system?
    Tonnes of torque...
    Bill

Attached Files:

13. Jason Toth

Jason Toth Active Member

Because I just had a baby and my brain is much LOL. Question is how to adapt a belt to current conversion kits since they all seam to be direct drive. Bill how do you like you set up with the RCTimmers?

14. Bill Collydas

I prefer the RCTimers but they wont fit inside the cage. That's why I use the belt system. Direct drive on the tilt is fine but for the roll and pan I prefer the belt/ Some people say why don't I use the servo system then. Cause the Radian is too expensive and the Alexmos is cheaper and easier to program.On the tilt is fine as long as the camera is balanced.

Bill

15. Brad McGiveron

Brad McGiveron Active Member

Like Bill mentioned... With reduction the 5208's have plenty of power for Epic with CP's and anything else you want to throw at it. The problem is that the cogging on the 5208's (or any other motor with less poles) and the belts from the standard CS 360 combine to exaggerate notching/shakes on the tilt in particular... with Reds that is. Its not an issue direct though but you are at 5208's limits then.
    The 4114's have a cleaner spin and cause less shake when combined with the belts from my experience. Either way if you want to twiddle around you can easily run an Epic with reduction in any condition with the stuff out now.

16. Jason Toth

Jason Toth Active Member

Thanks Brad and Bill,

In regards to holding up and epic - would dual 5208 on tilt/roll/pan help - can the control board handle than. I'm curious if these would work: http://brushlessgimbals.com/p/8680179/tiger-u8-kv100.html

I'm new to this how DIY and trying to sort thru the mass thread to come up with a plan of action. Just ordered another gimbal and the 3 Axis Alex Mos and we'll see if they can handle things or would 2 or 3 control boards be better. Then have to find a good motor and way of mounting either DD or Belt. Like stated in a previous post - I'm less worried about weight if performance is better.

Thanks, Jason

17. Howard Dapp

We also doubled up on the 5208s via piggy back on one of our gimbals with great results. A simple way to double the torque. The tricky bit is getting the timing correct but after that is done you're golden

Attached Files:

18. Jason Toth

Jason Toth Active Member

Hey Howard, would ya mind giving me a run down on your set up. Want to pull the trigger on getting the items but still mystified by the whole thing. Conversion kit, dual motor piggy back, motors, control board, etc )
    Thx!

19. Bill Collydas

Those are not Gimbal motors Jason..

20. Jose Luis Ocejo

Jose Luis Ocejo Active Member

HI Bill and Howard or any one that has decided to use a belt or use 2 motors per axis to add torque,
    What type of test gave you the definitive conclusion that you needed more torque out of your roll brushless motor and on your pan motor?
    Was it only the motor or only the controller or both,
    Up to what all around camera weight did you see the gimbal fail
    Did you have a chance to add wind resistance variable in to the test
    Some motors have a stated weight capacity spec, assuming that the mass of the camera is very well balance on the gimbal
    Is this stated capacity right?
    thanks