/dist/images/branding/favicon

Canon DSLR users

Discussion in 'Cameras' started by Dave King, Jul 16, 2013.

1. Dave King

Dave King Well-Known Member

I have a friend that has leant me their 7D for a while so I can shoot a project that I need to shoot stills for that will be printed out to 11X14's. I bought a 2nd gimbal so I can optimize it and no worry about going back and worth between this and the Sony 760. I'll be using a 20mm ultrasonic lens with it. Can anyone post some settings that they are getting good results? Which mode (AP or manual)? Auto focus or manual? Any other settings?

Thanks

Dave

2. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Dave on my cameras I use Aperture priority, manual focus and an ISO to give me art least 1/500th second exposure times.

3. Dave King

Dave King Well-Known Member

Thanks!

4. Michael McVay

Michael McVay Active Member

Dave a take a lot of stills with Canon gear. Like Gary, I shoot in aperture priority, F16, ISO 200 and under expose 2/3 of a stop - always RAW files. In bright sun the shutter ends up between 1/250th and 1/1000. The attached images were shot with a 20mm lens on a 6D.

66.jpg 62.jpg 31.jpg 25.jpg 12.jpg

5. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

Michael, those are gorgeous!

FYI, most Canon lenses have their best optical performance in the middle of their aperture ranges (f8-f11). I've found f16 to be a little soft on some lenses (although clearly not with these photos!). And with the DOF being what it is with wide lenses, your hyperfocal distance is typically about 8' or so, meaning you can set the lens on MF and not worry about AF hunting.

6. Michael McVay

Michael McVay Active Member

Thanks Steve. I find focus a little soft at the infinity mark too and set my manual focus just a hair inside infinity and have always had great luck with focus there. I always fly in manual focus (forgot to mention that to Dave).

7. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

It's funny how most of my lenses define infinity like Buzz Lightyear does.
    Buzz-lightyear-cardboard-cutout-.jpg

8. Maxis Gamez

Maxis Gamez Member

There is no need to use such apertures using a wide angle at the distances you are flying. Read about hyperfocal distance and you'll understand about how to achieve the best resolution out of your lens without losing image degradation.

I shoot most of my stills at f/8 with a low ISO. The f/16-22 days are over!

Good luck!