/dist/images/branding/favicon

MoVI Shipping Update

Discussion in 'MōVI M10' started by Phil Macdonald, Jul 1, 2013.

1. Wolfgang Armin

Wolfgang Armin Active Member

Something just comes to my mind - I ordered a MōVI MR, but you are talking about M10 only. Any news about the MR? I guess some of you guys are also waiting for MR, others for M10, so the order number won´t say much I´m afraid.

2. Garry Clarke

Garry Clarke Member

OMG....you guy's are making me depressed reading all your low numbers. I'm 1415, obviously I ordered late, so the thought of a nice Xmas present isn't looking too good, unless Tabb and the guys have magic wands.

Cheers
    Garry

3. Brendan Isaac

Brendan Isaac New Member

Im number 22 :)

Why is the MOVI different/better than all these cheap alternatives i am seeing all over the internet??

4. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

5. Phil Macdonald

Brendan, I am interested in how you were the 22nd person to put down a hefty deposit, i.e. on or just after the day it was announced and then questioning it? :) anyways, my two cents on the cheaper alternative situation is as follows. Firstly I do think the MoVI is expensive for what it is, there will be cheaper options that come out for sure that are very similar in terms of operations. But then again the 5D and the Alexa in essence do the same thing, its just one does it a lot better than the other one yet no-one questions renting/buying £100k worth of kit over £2k worth of kit....

From my understanding a lot of the alternatives lack in one major difference with the M10 and thats payload. We have a Canon C300 and so the ability for whatever we use to be able to fly that is understandably paramount but the ability to carry the Epic is just as important as these are obviously higher end cameras. A lot of these 'carbon copies' are designed for payloads sitting around the DSLR range and so I think its more important to compare them to the M5. Now at $7500 the copies will STILL be cheaper but will they be as good? well only time will tell but remember that MoVI is a brand just like Stedicam and with that means that as long as we as a community treat the MoVI as the front runner then producers will too, it will become that if you want the best you use a MoVI and if you want to tighten the purse strings you use something else!! Its all about perceived image in my mind and there are a number of features that the MoVI have that it seems the copies don't, or at least don't all share within one other option....the VFX recording is huge for certain applications, the majestic mode sounds well....majestic, user adjustable shaky cam will have its day...its about selling the pros to clients and if they come back and say "well we got this guy who has a different one who will do it at a third of the rate than welcome them to use him".

Whatever thoughts people have the real thing to embrace is that it is a very exciting time for filmmaking in general and as long as people remain creative and sensible both with the filming side and the business side then there is opportunity out there for everyone!!

Anyway....ramble over :)

Phil

6. Tabb Firchau

Tabb Firchau Administrator
    Staff Member

7. Brendan Isaac

Brendan Isaac New Member

My real name is Brendan Isaac - added the space :).

2.5k isnt a hefty deposit and 15k isn't expensive considering what a 3 axis stabilised head is worth. I need to know how i am going to market this against cheaper alternatives that are going to appear in my market.

I think the MOVi will come into its own when longer lenses are added to the equation. As well as the added VFX benefits.

Cant wait to put the Movi on my technocrane, jibs & cable cam systems :)

8. Tabb Firchau

Staff Member

Brandan, you are keyed into things. If you are wondering what sets our system apart just watch some 100mm lens footage shot with EPIC from another gimbal......oh wait you can't ;)

Tabb

Ben Foster and Phil Macdonald like this.
  9. Brendan Isaac

Brendan Isaac New Member

Haha that is what i suspected. i can't wait to get my hands on this baby - some many possibilities.......................

10. Brendan Isaac

Brendan Isaac New Member

Any plans to integrate control of fuji/canon broadcast lenses?

11. Howard Dapp

Howard Dapp Active Member

There's a guy here in the states who just released some footage of an epic filming at 100 or more mm on a gimbal running pre released 70mm dualsky motors. Same motors as Movi. I'll search for the video.

12. Janne Hoglund

Janne Hoglund Member

Nono, cant be, this can only be made with the Movi ;-)

13. Adam Paugh

Adam Paugh Distributor

Hello Gary,

Yes, your are correct with this presumption about the listed stock status at QC. Sorry for not jumping in earlier for clarification.

Greetings,
    Adam

14. Garry Clarke

Garry Clarke Member

Hi Tabb.
    Great news with the release date and really worthwhile upgrades to the M10. Terrific work!
    When you say all pre-orders will be delivered in 2 months, I'm assuming thats 2 months from Aug 15th?? If so, can't wait to get my hands it sometime in October.

Congratulations are also in order on the M5, especially with the final price being less than originally quoted. Well done to all of your team.

Regards
    Garry

15. Wolfgang Armin

cooool - I love the info about the MR conversion!!!
    May I ask about spare parts, etc? It would feel much more comfortable to fly that beast if I knew I had at least some spare parts with me. I use to carry at least one spare motor, clamps, screws, carbon tubes in different lenghts, etc. with me. Living in Europe, it might take some time to get these if "something" (most of us know what I'm talking about ;-)) happens.

16. Mark Pugh

Mark Pugh New Member

An Epic is roughly the same width (even with side handle) and height as a Canon 1D.
    Why all the extra width and height on the m10 rig compared to the m5?

17. Tabb Firchau

Staff Member

Hi Mark, an EPIC with side handle (that you can get the battery out of) needs quite a bit more room then a 1D body. Extra height and width to fit larger packages and accessories.

Best,

Tabb

18. Wolfgang Armin

For me it´s also the accessories that can make a huge difference. Both in weight and in the final movie.

Any info on spare parts, Tabb?

19. Wolfgang Armin

One more question - sorry: you seem to use the top handle a lot, like on this image from core77.com
    Any plans on adding this to an accessory list?

[​IMG]

20. Mark Pugh

Mark Pugh New Member

Depth and weight, yes.
    Width and height... hmm. The top plate, viewfinder and other handles would be coming off the epic.
    A follow focus and video transmitter would be the same size for Epic and Canon...

The M10 seems to be quite a lot larger now. Even it's handles have grown wider, right?
    Anyway, no big deal. Thanks for all the good work, Tabb.
    [​IMG]