/dist/images/branding/favicon

Thoughts and opinions on DSLR for stills

Discussion in 'Cameras' started by Dave King, Mar 25, 2013.

1. Dave King

Dave King Well-Known Member

HI Michael

Can you clarify what you mean by the lenses are image stabilizing? Are they like a floating lens like the Sony 760? Any part numbers or more information you can provide?

Edit: Is this what you are referring to? http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/843009-USA/Canon_5345B002_EF_24mm_f_2_8L_IS.html
    Does this have a floating lens like the Sony 760?

2. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

There's nothing that I'm aware of on a DSLR that has Sony’s BOSS-type stabilization. The 'IS' in Canon's lenses is good, but more for vibrations and very small movements than for true stabilization. The 24/2.8 IS does have stabilization, and that's what I usually use. But optically it's not as clear as some of Canon's 'L' lenses. I prefer the 17-40L for aerials, although it's considerably heavier. But generally I can shoot stills at close to 1/500 of a second at a decent ISO, and that all but cancels any issues. I've even done stills on my CS8 and forgotten to turn on the Radians and it's been fine. I typically set the 5D Mark III to 1/500 at f5.6 and leave the ISO in 'A' mode. Works great. :D

3. Dave King

Thanks Steve. Do you use the the 5D for video as well? It would be nice to have a camera for both the stills and the video. I think if I kept the two cameras I would need to gimbals as it would be too much hassle going back and forth.

4. Steve Maller

I am finding the 5D a little tedious for video. I'm going to get a GH3 and try it out for both stills and video. I think it's a better bet for a dual-purpose camera. It has a built-in intervalometer for stills, and is about the best thing out there right now for small-format cameras that do video, including shooting 1080P 60fps at 50mbps.

5. Dave King

Steve I have not used a DSLR for a copter yet so I would love to hear why you think the 5D is tedious for video? I'm looking to get as much user feedback as possible.

thanks

6. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Dave general rule of thumb for cameras, they do one thing very well and the other just so so. If you want great video and really good stills I have some great prints from a RED. Think of it this way. You don't see video on a Hasselblad and you don't see stills on a Sony Alexa.

7. Steve Maller

It's mostly the lack of higher frame rates. In particular 1080P at 60fps or more.