/dist/images/branding/favicon

Roll adjustment from Spektrum TX

Discussion in 'Radian' started by Dave Halton, Sep 24, 2012.

1. zaxis

zaxis New Member

Dave ...
    It seems as if you're looking to control roll/tilt such that the gimble moves to a position that mimics the position of the pot. Move the pot 10 degrees and the gimble rolls 10 degrees. This is how it works with a Mikrokopter (and DJI ?) gimble control. The Radian works differently, to roll 10 degrees to the right you need to move the pot from its centre postion in that direction. The speed of gimble movement will be proportional to how far you move the pot away from the centre, small move equals slow / big move equals fast. You keep the gimble moving until you reach the 10 degree position and then release the pot so that it returns to the centre position when it will halt and remain at 10 degrees. A bit of a culture change if you're used to the old way. The Radian will not work in the old mode and seems like an good idea for a future upgrade.
    So a Radian really requires a joystick to roll or tilt, using a knob/slider is a bit of a fudge as they are not naturally self centring.
    An idea I had was to use a three way switch with the centre position set to 0 and the two outer positions set to a small value say plus and minus 8%. This would give the ability to apply small pulses of adjustment by flicking the switch from centre in the direction you want to move and then back again. Not actually tried it but the Spektrum is capable of being set up to this.

andy

AerialVue likes this.
  2. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

I infer that you have a common ground (aka earth) between the Castle BEC and the WKM? I may be red-flagging unnecessarily on the "just the signal wire" comment.

Understood. Out of morbid curiosity which signal was that? A, E, T, R, or U?

Hmm. Was that noise on the signal I wonder?

Ah yes, the Internot. I know it well.

Oh....I forgot to ask? What software did you use to make those diagrams? I use Omnigraffle on the Mac or CorelDRAW on the PC.

Andy.

3. Dave Halton

Dave Halton Member

Thanks Andys.. Ill revert later

Here is the video of the roll

Dave

4. Howard Dapp

Howard Dapp Active Member

Dave,

Andy's post sums it up. Radian will not allow you to have proportional control using a slider switch. You lose proportional control once a gimbal's servo potentiometers are out of the loop. It would be very tricky to use a slider for tilt/roll adjustment with the Radian, even more tricky while flying because you would need to manually toggle the slider back to neutral in order to stop a tilt or roll adjustment. It's totally possible but tricky and in the end you'll probably just frustrate yourself.

I switched over from Spektrum to Futaba because Futaba offer rotary knobs over sliders. A rotary knob still won't give you your desired proportional control when used with Radian. There is a workaround for a single operator wanting the same pan/tilt/roll joystick control as a 2-man setup but without the need for a 2nd radio. On my Futaba 10C I tapped into 2 of the 3 rotary knobs and connected a 2 axis joystick. I assigned the tilt and roll channels to the 2 rotary knobs which are now controlled by the joystick. The 2 axis joystick is connected to the Futaba via a 3.5mm jack for each axis...it can obviously be removed/disconnected when not used. The joystick makes it simple for me to make fine tilt/roll adjustments while flying eliminating the need to recenter slider or knob controls. Extreme? maybe but it works great for our needs.

10C.jpg 10C2.jpg

5. Tabb Firchau

Tabb Firchau Administrator
    Staff Member

Good idea!

Another option I have used is a 3pos switch. Flip up or down on the switch to command a 'slow' slew command and then center to stop the axis. You can set the slew speed to a very low value to help in achieving precise framing under the duress of single operator control. Works very nicely!

Tabb

6. Howard Dapp

Howard Dapp Active Member

Tabb's option is the best and simplest. Dave, if you have two 3-position switches (one for tilt and another for roll) you're all set.

Off topic, Dave what size props are you using on your coax hexa?

7. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Interesting video, Dave. I'm impressed with your ability to change hands. ;)

Still curious to hear what software you used for the diagrams, though. I'm looking for software that intermixes images and drawing for the next DVD I'm working on.

Thanks
    Andy.

8. Dave Halton

Dave Halton Member

Hi Howard 11x5 Graupners.. dogs jobber.. luv um

9. Dave Halton

Dave Halton Member

Aye up Andy with the number of breaks I have had I got used to using either hand!
    Illustrator.. CS3 at the moment but looking to upgrade.

10. Dave Halton

Dave Halton Member

Tabb.. what If I allocated it to a trim tab rather than a switch so rather than a 50% throw in one direction or the other it could be just 5 or 10%.. so one click sets the tilt off, one click back stops it another click back brings it back up. Would that work?

11. Tabb Firchau

Staff Member

Yep that would work!

Tabb

12. Dave Halton

Dave Halton Member

So I could keep the slew rate higher the more clicks I push forward the faster it will go?

13. Tabb Firchau

Staff Member

Correct. It might get annoying to do this via trim button though.

14. Dave Halton

Dave Halton Member

OK my head is starting to see the picture!

15. Daniel garate

Daniel garate Member

Please i need help!!!!

i have the cinestar camera mount with the 3 radian....
    im happy because after several hours trying i have a connection with my old PC...

But i need help with the Spektrum dx8..

-i see in the radian manual that it uses only the satelite, but i read in this forum that people is using the receiver..??

-what mode my dx8 needs to be?? airplane or heli mode??

-what is the correct mode number or slew, if i want to use the elevator for the tilt and the rudder for the paning???

i will appreciate any comments, and help.

thanks for your time

daniel

16. Daniel garate

Daniel garate Member

it would be super if someone can make a manual/instructions for using spektrum with the radian.....

a very detailed manual, ....

i'll pay for it!!!!!!!!

i just wanna fly with my new camera mount like the videos!

thanks

daniel

17. Josh Lambeth

Josh Lambeth Well-Known Member

Daniel,
    Make sure you bind the satellite receiver at the same time as you bind the normal receiver (make sure the satellite receiver is plugged into the main receiver during the binding process). Once you have bound them you can unplug the satellite and plug it into the Radian. If you plug it into the PAN Radian plug your programming USB cable into the Pan radian and start up the software. Click on Read in the software to get the info from the Radian then click on the Input Monitor button. This will tell you what channels are doing what. If you want to use the Rudder stick on your DX8 to control pan, move your rudder stick and see which channel is moving in the Input Monitor. If it's channel 3 then set the SLEW option in the Radian software to 3 and click write. This should give you control. Do this for all your Radians. Also make sure to setup your Mode switch using the same method.

Josh

18. Daniel garate

Daniel garate Member

Great, thanks!!

ill try it tonight,

The Satelite i bind because the orange light is on as soon as i turn on the Radio,....then i move the sticks for the tilt , when i move elevator up, the tilt goes down, and to go up, is the aileron doing the job,,,,......

so in the tilt there are two channels doing it, the elevator and the aileron........i hope i can explain my self good....
    My english is not to perfect,

So, when you said to do it for all the radians, that means that after im done with the pan radian, i have to disconnect the satellite and put it on the next radian? for example the ROLL radian?? or i have to live the satellite on the radian pan thru all the process?

Also one more question, not sure what MODE is for, which number would be the right one to put in there.......

i know that im almost there with the camera mount, just nee a little more help...

Thanks Josh for your time!!!

daniel

19. Daniel garate

Daniel garate Member

Thanks

, i changed my spectrum radio from 22ms to 11ms, thats the protocol that the. Radian was looking for.
    I have control of tilt and roll with all the channels perfectly asign.

But the pan is the only one giving probems.
    i can turn it off with a switch, but when is on, it spins non stop , the slew is not working,....i can pan right and left but cant make it syop moving around.....
    it would be great to turn off the stabilization in the pan,and to be able to pan without stabilization,....รง
    __
    any advice on the pan......

im in love with the tilt and roll!!!!!!!!

thanks for the help!!

20. Dave Halton

Dave Halton Member

Tabb is this correct
    Do I need to set my DX18 to this if I am using the Radian connected directly to the AR8000?
    If I go to a satellite unit is this how it needs to be set?