/dist/images/branding/favicon

Radian setup issues on windows 7

Discussion in 'Radian' started by David Gamble, Jun 9, 2013.

1. David Gamble

David Gamble Member

Hi guys, my laptop does not have a "com port" spot to play with in device manager and my usb is default to port 1. this is a really annoying thing to try and rectify considering when i goto the coms link tab under windows on your software i get the error opening comm port 1 invalid port number. pretty rinkydink software. why does the software not scan the ports and find the radian hardware like any other usb device? just a suggestion to save many people alot of grief. I have still not found a solution and have spent many hours trying. what phone number can i call and get some answers for setting this up? .... graupner mx12 setup. 360 gimbal radian and cinestar 8.

i hope that i can count on the company that I have invested in to help me solve my issues in a timely manner. I will post to youtube my final results in the hopes of helping other truly frustrated users.

thank you to any and all that can help

2. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

David what brand/model of laptop are you running? Have you contacted the dealer where you bought the Radians? I don't know of any version of windows that doesn't allow you to get to the control panel and manage the COM ports.

3. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi David:

If you are not seeing the COM & LPT section in Device Manager when you have the Radian adapter connected to a USB, then there's an issue with the USB driver installation -- that section appears when you have an USB device plugged in and disappears when you do not. (It's just possible you have a bad USB cable, so that's worth swapping it if possible.)

Do you have any other USB device (e.g. thumb drive) that you can plug and see if that gets recognized?

As to a phone number to call, I'm afraid that this sounds like an MS Windows issue or laptop hardware issue.

There is a small possibility that you have a bad Radian Adapter - do you see any small LEDs light up the Radian adapter when you plug it into the USB port on your computer?

Andy.

4. Chris Babiana

Chris Babiana Member

5. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Good point, Chris. I'd forgotten about that trick. Well, truth be told, I've never had to use it as the COM & LPT section just pops up when I connect a Radian or MK USB adapter.

Andy.

6. David Gamble

David Gamble Member

Hi gary,

I actually switched to a desktop running windows xp pro 64 bit and everything worked out fine... as for the laptop problem its probably something that has to do with windows 7. it does recognize all other devices however but there is no LPT/Com "optoins" under device manager. (its weird) that being said, I really didn't have time to re-configure the windows 7 when every other usb device works and kinda did not want to bugger that all up just for the radians. im one of the "lucky" ones who has more than one computer at home lol. If there is or has been issues with windows7 regarding com ports i'd love to hear of them and any solution as well because the laptop is much more convenient in the field. I also have a brand new macbook air but dont think there is radian software for the mac yet other than running a virtual windows machine, which i have never done but might be simple? dunno? lol... I have the cinestar flying and have the gimbal just about tuned... I have to set the gains I think on pan somewhere less than 100 as it starts to shake or oscillate so I'm going to set it at 70 and increase towards 100 and see what it says. I do have to say however that I am not sure the setup is really "robust" enough for my liking in terms of how hard the system seems to be working (cinestar 8 ) with my 5dmk11. I've only been flying for a couple of months with no payload and its beautiful but when I add weight like the 5d and lens and battery weight, it seems as tho the motors are getting really hot which never happened before and the batteries and the esc's .. now i expected that but just want to keep an eye on it and maybe come up with different props that might help it out? im flying with the graupners 14x8s right now but also have a set of apc 13x6.5's i have not tried them yet and am hoping to see a difference. I also notice people are flying with the wooden props when it comes to heavy loads is there a reason? ideally I want to carry a red with this as was shown to me when I bought this model. cs8+360 radian. so hopefully the hot motor/battery/and esc thing is normal. I will be laser testing the temps soon. and relaying back some info.

thanks for your post and looking forward to more!

Cheers

Dave

7. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

I've got multiple Win 7 Enterprise machines and haven't had an issue.

What motors are you using? If it is the standard QC motors 14x8's are probably causing the problem for you. There was a posting earlier today by Adam Paugh on props. The suggestion was APC 14x4.7 or Xoar 14x6.