/dist/images/branding/favicon

Swappable 1 or 2 man operation

Discussion in 'Radian' started by Dave Halton, May 18, 2013.

1. Dave Halton

Dave Halton Member

I have a shoot where I need a third hand to control the tilt on my AV130. The majority of the time I operated as a one man but it would be nice to be able to swap between single and two man op. At the moment my tilt is controlled by the WKM flight controller but I want to install a second Radian which can be controlled either by the flight RX AR8000 or the like OR a satellite receiver from a second TX.
    Is this easily possible.

Dave

1-or-2-man-op.gif

2. Joe Azzarelli

Joe Azzarelli Active Member

Yes this will work. You will need another channel from the AR to radian for mode control. Second Tx is bound to satellite. Satellite will override AR control of radian when it is receiving a signal from 2nd Tx.

Joe

3. Dave Halton

Dave Halton Member

Hi Joe.

I have been looking at the new firmware about swapping for single dual operators but still trying to get my head round it all. As I need to get a programming card and lead its impossible for me to do anything but surmise what is possible.

From a Post John C did it looks like this is a pretty straight forward operation but I need ti understand it more. Thanks for posting, any settings I would need to configure would be a help so I can fill in the blanks.

Dave

4. Josh Lambeth

Josh Lambeth Well-Known Member

It is possible.. sort of a PITA to setup but it does work. My copter is setup this way.

I am using Graupner MX20 for the copter and the DX6i for the gimbal. I have a second receiver bound to my TX so it will talk to the gimbal and the copter at the same time. If the DX6i is off then the Radian sees the second receiver (Gr12) and takes input from that but as soon as the DX6i is turned on it gives all gimbal controls to that transmitter.

Josh

5. Dave Halton

Dave Halton Member

Hi Josh I am still trying to get my head round this but have not had time to sit down and work through it. I just received my new dongle thanks to John C so hopefully in the next couple of days I work it out..

Jo. Could you suggest how I alter the schemas I have drawn to progress this. Then we may be able to get some screen shots of the set up in the software.

Dave

6. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Ayup Dave...

When I was trying to get my head around this, the piece that I was first missing was the notion that when the Radian that has the receivers plugged into it, it gives priority to the Spektrum satellite receiver. So, as Josh says, if you have both a GR12 and a Spektrum satellite connected to a Radian, it's the Radian that makes the decision as to which Rx has priority -- and it does that based on whether there is a valid data stream coming from the receivers.

By valid data stream, what I means is that the Spektrum satellite receiver does not emit a valid data stream to the Radian unless it has established contact with the Tx to which it has been bound. So if the Spektrum Tx is turned on, that enables the Spektrum satellite Rx, which then means the Radian will take control signals from it, even though there may also be a valid data stream coming from the (in this case) GR12 receiver.

Also, there is another piece of the equation that's less than obvious: when you bind two Graupner Rx to the same Tx, the second Rx you bind (Josh can you confirm this, is it the second?), on detecting the presence of the first, shuts off its transmission of the telemetry so that it doesn't interfere with the first Rx. Here's a relevant thread http://forum.freeflysystems.com/index.php?threads/transmitter.910/page-2#post-12255 -- I tried to summarize the technique in message #27.

There were two other issues that I needed to sort out in my head:

1. How do you figure out the RC channels assignments? I may need Josh to leap in here, because to my brain, the easiest way to think of this was: Just pick RC Channels that can be common to both the GR12 and the Spektrum Satellite -- so, pick say, Channel 7 as tilt -- and make it tilt on both the Graupner Tx and the Spektrum Tx. I'm still not quite sure of this -- are there enough available channels? Am I right they have to be the same RC channels no both Graupner and Spektrum -- or can you use different RC channels on the different transmitters?

2. Physically what's the best way of turning a three axis gimbal into a two-axis. The answer seems to be: (a) unplug the pan servo, and (b) rotate the gimbal until the gimbal booms line up with the copter's booms such that the payload camera is facing boom #1, and then use several Velcro straps to tie the gimbal booms to the copter's booms.

Josh: Can you help clarify our understanding of these two questions?

Andy.

7. Dave Halton

Dave Halton Member

Just packing for a couple of weeks upt even further North.. Inverness.. Will have more time when I am up there to go through it all.

Dave

8. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Inverness? Ah, yes, takes me back to me Rugby days, The Ball at Killiemuir etc. :)
    Andy.