/dist/images/branding/favicon

MÔVI details

Discussion in 'Camera Mount Misc' started by Joe Azzarelli, Apr 11, 2013.

1. Joe Azzarelli

Joe Azzarelli Active Member

Can someone from FF enumerate the details for the various Movi products. A detailed list of what's included in the M10 vs. MR vs. M5 etc. Something that shows specifics:
    Batteries? How many, what kind?
    Charger included?
    Transmitter?
    Video link(s)?
    Is remote EVF included?
    Cables?
    etc...

Also, is the Movi MR(10) usable with a "stock" CS8 or is the HL copter pretty much a necessity?
    Will there be a MR(5)? What will be compromised?

Thanks

Joe

2. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Joe: I think you might have to wait a few days until the FF guys have come back from NAB and recovered before all is revealed.

Andy.

3. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

Joe,
    Gary Haynes told me in another thread that the MōVI only weighs about 8oz (1/2 pound) more than the current gimbal, so that should work with the current CS8. Everybody's saying that a 5lb camera capable gimbal should be following at about 1/2 the cost of the MR10.

4. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Joe I've got a lot of photos and info to share. Just need to get back home, driving to Denver. Probably sometime Saturday.

Steve Maller likes this.
  5. kjetil tønnesen

hi gary
    cant waith to se photos you want to share:)
    i have heard that the movi 5 wil cost around 7500$

6. Steve Maller

7. Mike Duval

Mike Duval Member

So exciting! Thanks for posting it up Steve! I can't wait to start playing with this thing.

Mike

8. MIke Magee

MIke Magee Active Member

9. Steve Maller

REDpunzel :D

Mike Vickers likes this.
  10. Leopoldo Tamargo

I currently have a Cinestar 6 and I unsure how best to proceed.
    I believe the Movi M10 may be too heavy to be practical for the Cinestar 6. I believe I understand that the M10 can be “converted” with additional hardware to be attachable to a Cinestar 8.
    Going the other way, I am also told that the Movi MR can be converted with additional hardware to behave and have the form factor of the M10 minus some adjustment features.

Here are the questions:

If for the time being I am to purchase just one of these two devices and knowing I fully intend to use it probably first on the ground and then in the air when I get a bigger copter, does it make more sense to purchase the M10 or the MR?
    Can the MR be converted to regain the “lost” adjustment features?
    Was the system at NAB that I ran around with closer to an M10 or an MR?
    When the lens controls become a viable option, can they be used with either system?
    I want to buy the system that for now will work best for me. I currently have a MR on order from the moment I got back from NAB. Since that time more info has come out.
    Should I have ordered the M10 instead or am I on the right course?
    Also I am very interested in the Synapse System for my Cinestar 6 and later plan to move it over to the Cinestar HL when I acquire one. Is that a good plan and if so (or not) why?

I look forward to your assistance and wisdom in this matter.

11. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

Leopoldo

If for the time being I am to purchase just one of these two devices and knowing I fully intend to use it probably first on the ground and then in the air when I get a bigger copter, does it make more sense to purchase the M10 or the MR? It would make sense to buy the M10 and then get the attachment kit (I'm calling it an attachment kit, not sure what Tabb will call it) to change it to an MR if you plan to start out using it on the ground. Either way you can't make a bad decision.
    Can the MR be converted to regain the “lost” adjustment features? Not sure what you mean by the 'lost' features. Can you be more specific?
    Was the system at NAB that I ran around with closer to an M10 or an MR? They were all M10. The only difference between the two is the mounting and the M10 comes with a Tx/Rx for remote control of the gimbal.
    When the lens controls become a viable option, can they be used with either system? Yes, remote focus has nothing to do with the MōVi setup or software.
    I want to buy the system that for now will work best for me. I currently have a MR on order from the moment I got back from NAB. Since that time more info has come out. The MR will ship with some form of handles for ground use.
    Should I have ordered the M10 instead or am I on the right course? Either path is fine.
    Also I am very interested in the Synapse System for my Cinestar 6 and later plan to move it over to the Cinestar HL when I acquire one. Is that a good plan and if so (or not) why? Yes it would easily transfer from the CS6 to CS8 to the best of my knowledge. Currently running on the micro CS4 test platform to the HL S8.

12. Brad Meier

Brad Meier Active Member
    Staff Member

MR if you plan on going both ways. At the time of NAB, discussion was M10s would be shipping with the transmitter to control 2 person operations while MRs would not assuming that most MR users would already have a transmitter. Instead, MR orders would ship with the additional carbon peices to convert between M10 and MR.

What you held at NAB was a M10.

The Synapse, in my opinion, will be superior to anything out there. No reason why you shouldn't get it for your CS6 then later for the CS8 HL.

13. Leopoldo Tamargo

Thank you Gary and Brad for getting back to me so quickly.
    The "lost" adjustment feature on the MR was from a comment from . His name was Ross and he said certain adjustment functionality was lost on the MR to keep it light, if I understood him correctly. It also mentions "minor structural" differences. I took that to mean legs Vs. no legs as the both come with handles?

It might help if I could see the detailed differences between the two or what the additional brackets or "attachment " kit would look like. Do you have any pictures of how the M10 would attach to a Cinestar Vs. How the MR would attach?

14. Brad Meier

Brad Meier Active Member
    Staff Member

I expect the software will be the exact same. The main difference between the systems is handles vs landing gear. The M10 and MR are essentially the same from the pan motor down.

15. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

You can see the mounts in the video. But I haven't seen the bits and pieces that would be needed to do the switch. I'll see if I can get an answer on the adjustment comments.

16. Leopoldo Tamargo

That is good news.
    Did I misunderstand the loss of some adjustment capability mentioned by Ross?
    My concern comes from not knowing what camera may find its way onto the M10/MR and a loss or inability balance the camera could be an issue.
    You have a great new tool, two actually and in a perfect world I would get one of each. Sadly for now I can get only one and I want to use that one to help me get the other one so I have one of each and can use them together or separately.
    Please help me choose wisely. I'm leaning now toward the M10.

17. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

Leo I heard the same thing and have sent an email off to the people who should know. Confused me to. As long as you keep the weight to 10 pounds you should be able to balance. Might need to change tilt arm lengths, etc. But I've seen the Canon 1DC with a massive 24mm lens, Red with the 24mm, Black Magic all mounted and balanced.

18. Leopoldo Tamargo

It becomes or already is an issue of C of G. If the lens is heavy I need to move the camera back. If the lens is light, I may need to move the camera forward. When they said lose some ability or adjustment I notice. I work with a number of much larger aerial platforms for a living. The Tyler Camera System is all about balance. If you can't make enough of an adjustment you may have to add weight. That is something I can't do with the M10/MR for obvious reasons.

Too high a C of G might be taken care of with longer poles. Front to back may require enough camera travel to reach and equilibrium.

I look very, very forward to what the actual differences (if there are any), are. The sooner the better as I have an MR already on order since NAB.

Thank you
    Leo

19. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

Easy to make the main adjustment for front to back with the sliding camera rail that is available now and is standard on the MōVI.

And for high CG look at how the RED is mounted, hanging from the top instead of support from the bottom.

20. Leopoldo Tamargo

Is it also on the MR?