/dist/images/branding/favicon

MK Tool?

Discussion in 'Software Solutions' started by Tony Larkin, May 21, 2013.

1. Tony Larkin

Tony Larkin Member

Hi Guys, I have recently acquired a Cinestar6 with 2 axis gimbal. I am a newbie to flying with such electronics and systems and so decided to have a look around the MK software and try to familiarise myself with how the software etc works. When i tried to connect with the C6 it said i needed to upgrade the software and the instructions seemed very straight forward so i proceeded. It updated the flightcntrl v2.1 and all was good and well, communication between laptop and C6 was successful. I wasn't looking to change any parameters, just have a look around the software. I was then prompted to update the Naviboard and as the flightcntrl update was so straight forward i proceeded with the navi update! Since then, i can't communicate with the C6 and the LEd strip lights on the booms are flashing is some kind of sequence which i am guessing is trying to tell me it's not happy! The company that built are suggesting it needs to go back to MK to be 'fixed'?!

I was using the wireless connection which I now hear is not a good idea? However, I have since gone USB direct to the MK-USB board but still no joy. In fact, since then one of the Freefly 360 servos has smoked itself and I haven't even taken off yet!!

Can anyone advise?

Thanks in advance.

Tony

2. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Tony welcome to the forum. We will need some more information to help you out. Take some photos and perhaps a short video clip of the copter showing what is happening. What batteries are you using to power the ship? The flashing LED's may be the low voltage warning system kicking in. To check that we would need a screen shot from MKTool from the MISC tab. Also a version list of the MKTool and firmware versions that you have installed or are trying to install.

Couple of things that would help you. Read through the www.mkmanual.com site. Lot of good information. Order a copy of the DVD's Rather Good Guide to MKTool and Rather Good Guide to Building a CS6/8. They can be invaluable as you start out on understanding all of the bits and pieces.

3. Tony Larkin

Tony Larkin Member

Thanks for your response Gary. I can't get a connection between the MKtool and the ship so i am unable to give you any info from the software. I have however taken a few pics and a video to see if they offer anything up! I'm a little confused because everything i read talks about the MK-USB? I don't appear to have one of those? The USB connection is on the Navi Board which is located under the GPS board and shield. Regarding the battery, it appears to be fully charged. The MX20 is showing 16 volts?!

Funny enough, I came across the mkmanual and Rather Good Guide to MKToll earlier today and will orde the DVD's etc. Looks great.

Anyway, I hope that the attached pics etc are of some use and i look forward to hearing back from you.

Cheers, Tony

4. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi Tony:
    If the LEDs are just flashing slowly on and off that may be nothing more than the default state -- you specifically have to change settings to get the LEDs to only flash when the voltage is low.

Also, work on the basis that you have "bricked" the flight control board and try the technique shown in the video at -- you will need the MK USB board to do this though. You can connect up directly to a free-standing FC and NC board if you get the MKUSB adapter and put the jumper on it so that it will supply +5 volts to either the FC or the NC board.

Hope this helps
    Andy.

5. Tony Larkin

Tony Larkin Member

Hi Andy, thanks for such a quick response. Sounds like I need to purchase a MK-USB then? Please forgive the school boy questions, but, what is the usb for that is on the NB? The wireless connection that came with the C6 is connected to the NB and so my infinite wisdom made me believe it was the same as connecting via that usb!
    Sorry for the dumb questions.
    My next step is ordering your DVDs which, from what people are saying, seem to be 'the business'.

Thanks again, Tony

6. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

Tony what version of MKTool are using and what version of software did you install? And the photos didn't come through. To add photos click on the "Upload a File" button in the lower right to add them.

7. Tony Larkin

Tony Larkin Member

Hi Gary, i'm using the latest versions of the MKtool v1.80b and and firmware updates. I used the "upload a file" button and got the progress bar indicator, so not sure where they went to! I'll try again.

Attached Files:

8. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

Got it. You are correct that it is not a suggested practice to use the wireless connection to do the upgrade. Just not fully reliable as may have happened here. Secondly though it has the USB plug it can't be used for upgrades or really anything else. Sometimes wonder why it is on there. What you need to get is the MK-USB adapter. In your setup it will plug into the 2x5 port that is open on the NAVI. Until you get one you are a bit stuck unless you can get the wireless to work again.

9. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Hi Tony: The MK USB board, if you order from Quadrocopter in the USA is here: http://www.quadrocopter.com/MK-USB-Adapter_p_100.html

As Gary says, don't use the wireless connection for upgrades -- it's not reliable enough for large data transfers it seems -- certainly MK Tool has a tough time with it and will mangle firmware upgrades wirelessly.

Andy.

10. Brad Meier

Brad Meier Active Member
    Staff Member

You can also plug directly into the FC board. Sometimes I have issues with being plugged into the nav board and just go through the FC. Try getting that part working in its simplest form then add other components. From what your describing, it sounds like you may have lost radio connection between the copter and transmitter. Could be MK settings, could be your receiver didn't bind with the transmitter, or your in a wrong mode on the transmitter (wrong model selected) to name a few

11. Tony Larkin

Tony Larkin Member

Thanks Gary, I'm starting to understand the way forward now thanks to you and Andy. I'll order up a MK-USB and see how I get on. Watch this space!

Cheers Guys.

12. Tony Larkin

Tony Larkin Member

Thanks Andy, you guys have been a huge help. MK-USB will be ordered today!

13. Tony Larkin

Tony Larkin Member

Hi Brad, Thanks for the advice. I haven't lost radio control though. The transmitter will start up the motors, calibrate the gyros etc. in theory, it would take off if i tried, but i'm not going to!!

cheers,

Tony

14. Tony Larkin

Tony Larkin Member

Andy, are the DVDs only available in NTSC format? Not sure if they'll playback on my English PAL DVD player?

Thanks,
    Tony

15. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

I'm afraid they will not play back on a PAL player. Do you by chance have a computer that can play DVDs? I suspect you may have better luck with that, but again I'm afraid we're victims of alleged "standards" that are different standards for different people!

I do have an action item to check if I can create valid PAL DVDs here in the States -- it's on my list, but I'm a bit swamped right now.
    Andy.

16. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Follow up: Perhaps I'm wrong about playing NTSC DVDs.
    Check out this thread: http://www.iorr.org/talk/read.php?1,839167,839282

My Google question was: Can I play an NTSC DVD in the UK

The DVDs are region free, so if this thread is to be believed, the answer should be: Yes, maybe you can play an NTSC DVD on a PAL DVD player.

Andy.

17. Tony Larkin

Tony Larkin Member

Thanks Andy, I'll give them a go. Even if they don't, I can get them converted.

Also...... The MK USB arrived today and my C6 seems happy again. I didn't even need to do the pin shorting, it just updated straight off. It has however sent everything back to what i guess is factory settings, so i need to work my way through it slowly to match it up to how it worked with the transmitter in the first place.

The flashing LED strip lights were quickly rectified within the software as you suggested. I did a brief test in the field, took the throttle up to just below take off point then back to idle, but when the motors dropped back to idle point they seemed to want to spin at different speeds which made the next attempt to take off too unbalanced? No doubt it'll make more sense in time.

Big thanks to you and Gary once again for your invaluble help.

Tony

18. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Any chance you could post a short video of a similar asymmetric take off attempt. That's not something I've seen before....

Remember, when you go to take off, don't be too tentative otherwise you put the aircraft at risk as the hardest place to fly it is low to the ground in "ground effect" (the bubble of compressed, turbulent, air that forms between the aircraft and the ground). The ideal thing to do is take off and get up to five or six feet to get out of ground effect.

I can't see from this thread whether you've learned to fly copters using a simulator such as AeroSimRC. If you have not, and with apologies in advance for sounding like a wet rag, then you really might want to consider doing that first. The concern is that you will crash the Cinestar and it's a very expensive set of training wheels....

If you've already flown copters, helos, etc. then disregard what I'm saying and I'll crawl back into my box... :)

Andy.

19. Tony Larkin

Tony Larkin Member

I hear what you're saying and i'm not offended! I have a 4 channel heli that I have been flying for around 12 months. Wouldn't say i'm an expert as such, but understand how it works and can fly it around a field. I do have a sim and spent time on it before flying the heli. Admittedly, I haven't used the sim for the C6. This I will do before my next attempt. Silly thing is, I remember being tentative the first time i flew the heli until I got it into my head that you need to get the bird in the air before it starts behaving properly.

Watch this space!!!!

20. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Sounds like Thunderbirds are go, Tony.

If you flown a single rotor heli, you should have few problems with the multi-rotor. The advice I received when I was learning to fly multi-rotor was stay nose-out until you're feeling that you've mastered the controls. It served me well -- AeroSimRC was a great training tool for nose-any-which-way flight....

Let us know how you get on....you'll be dead chuffed after your first flight!

Andy