/dist/images/branding/favicon

Converting my CS gimbal to a brushless gimbal

Discussion in 'Camera Mount Misc' started by Bill Collydas, Apr 14, 2013.

1. Bill Collydas

Bill Collydas Active Member

I'm using the RCtimer 4114-0.17-100T
    They seen to be beefier. Without a load it works. I will try with the CS and see what it does.

2. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

And videos of the setup tilting and panning.

3. Bill Collydas

Give me a day or so Gary.

Bill

4. Bill Collydas

Announcement.
    I got a word from the machine shop that the items to convert the CS to brushless will be ready next Thursday.
    That's the plate, the standoffs and the shaft.
    I will post when I have them in my hand.

Bill

5. kjetil tønnesen

nice bill
    then you have a set for me?:)

6. Ozkan Erden

Ozkan Erden Distributor

Bill, spare 3 sets for me also please :)

7. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

No problem Bill. I should have been more explicit, panning, tilting, while in flight.

8. Steve Galle

Steve Galle New Member

I ended up making 6 parts; a motor mount to attach the pitch motor to the arm, a mount to attach the pitch motor and gimbal sensor to the tilt bar, mounts to attach a slip ring to the other side arm and tilt bar, an adapter that attaches the roll motor to the existing mounts that the gear used to attach to, and a mount that attaches the roll motor to the down tube. For the roll axis the original bearings and support are retained, for pitch the slip ring serves as one bearing, and the motor as the other. So far I haven't had any trouble with the i2c signals passing through the slip ring, but I guess it could come up. I'm just now installing a 3rd axis, until the driver board is released for the controller I'm just going to use an old servo and radian for the pan. Next step is a roll mount for one of the rctimer 4114 motors; the 5010s are working pretty well, but wouldn't for anything heavier than this setup. Also planning on using a 4114 for pan axis. Pics aren't great, but you can see the idea:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/21045424@N08/sets/72157633512618176/

Steve

9. Bill Collydas

Well Gary too late I already did some test at home no flight yet but it should work right?hehe
    Here's a short video, now nothing is balanced except the camera. I have to balance the CS with the batteries and the Teradek.
    But I'm happy with the results. Tell me what you think. Of course Gary will be the judge after the maiden.

Bill

Attached Files:

Jordi Cristofol likes this.
  10. Steve Galle

Steve Galle New Member

Looks pretty awesome, definitely has me reconsidering waiting for the 3rd axis driver board for the alexmos and going ahead with the yaw axis conversion. It looks like the belt drive is working out pretty well?

11. Matt Kearney

Matt Kearney Member

Looking Good Bill.

Can i ask why you changed from mounting the pan motor in the middle to back on the boom with the belt??

12. Bill Collydas

Matt I found that the direct approach with the shaft I was worried the would be a lot of stress on the motor. With the belt and pulley system I get more torque and eliminates the jitters.
    The motor I was going to was the 4114-100t and I had to install spacers to raise the other plate cause the motor was to big.
    It seems to work well and I can speed it up or slow it down in the software.
    Anyway I am happy with it But I'll be doing more test with different setups. Right now the rig weighs 7.52kg without the main battery. I don't know what will happen in flight and the wind situation. I'll keep you posted. for now I accomplished what I wanted. My own MOvi;)

Bill

13. Bill Collydas

Steve if that setup works I will keep it that way I wont be getting the 3 axis addon. I use two controllers one for the tilt and roll and one for the yaw. Of course this a two men operation pilot and camera man.

Bill

14. Matt Kearney

Matt Kearney Member

Thanks Bill,

How did you set it up for the pan? Did you put the sensor on its side or something?

15. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

Bill its not to darn heavy to carry. You just need bigger props! Sorry if i sound skeptical. Bit of Missouri showing there. So many threads and videos but they have all been showing GoPros or Sony NEX which are pretty light. And I can't think of single one that has pan and tilt being shown and used. In that vain you are probably the first I have seen that has done the pan axis. Keep on building and testing. But seriously those invisible props probably need some work ;)

16. Bill Collydas

@Matt,
    No Matt the sensor is flat and the Y axis is pointing to the right.
    @ Garry,
    Thanks Gary it took a lot of thinking and late nights to get it done. I just finished balancing the batteries is kinda of late also so I'll stop here.
    Ah the Missouri showing is a pussy cat wait till you see the Greek showing:eek:
    Those invisible props are pretty quite tough,;) neighbours wont complaint.
    Bill

17. Ozkan Erden

Ozkan Erden Distributor

I also think that the system will be more safe with the belt system.

Bill how much weight did the brushless conversion add to the CS gimbal? I'm guessing that the difference should be around 300 grams, more or less?

18. Steve Galle

Steve Galle New Member

Thanks for the inspiration, Bill. I've got a mount printing for a belt drive similar to yours, and for now I guess I'll just apply my second controller to handle yaw. Is there a reason besides not needing to buy yet another component that you're going to stick with the dual controllers?

It's hard not to wish I had a mill at the moment; this thing could be cut out of a carbon plate in less than a minute... instead I'll go to sleep to the music (?) of stepper motors for the next two hours.

19. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

@Bill or SteveG:
    What words of advice would you give a newb with a CNC machine who's thinking about cutting carbon plate? What I've found on the web suggests that it can be really messy, blunts tools, etc.

Andy.

20. Steve Galle

Steve Galle New Member

I'm actually curious about this too, I have no first hand experience milling carbon.