/dist/images/branding/favicon

Coaxial Cinestar...

Discussion in 'Cinestar Misc' started by Benjamin Rowland, Jan 26, 2013.

1. Howard Dapp

Howard Dapp Active Member

My personal experience now that I've been flying the coax for some months is it's better in every way. No issues for me landing due to vortex.

2. Tim Joy

Tim Joy Active Member

I would STRONGLY advise you to set the esc's to NIMH mode and cut off at the lowest voltage possible I believe it is 4v TOTAL. Not per cell. Essentially this means it will never cut off, because you wouldn't be able to fly with a 4V pack.
    I had an issue once where 1 or 2 esc's cut off due to low voltage (had them set at 2.8V/cell which I thought they could never possibly reach) because one of my two packs dropped a cell. If this happens, then there might still be enough juice to get you down safely, but the voltage calculation might cause a cutoff, and since all the esc's won't necessarily cutoff at once, you have a flip.

3. Brad McGiveron

Brad McGiveron Active Member

My experience with them has been the opposite as far as descents go. Much smoother if not almost perfect fast descents which are not possible with the flat.

4. daniel clarke

daniel clarke Member

Hi Tim

Thanks very much for the advice, i will do that. I had set other escs on an another hex to NIMH, not sure how i forgot to do it on this build.
    I really appreciate the help.

cheers

5. Josh Allen

Josh Allen New Member

Is it possible to have coax MK on 6S?

6. Josh Lambeth

Josh Lambeth Well-Known Member

Yes but you would need an i2c -> pwm converter and run aftermarket escs.

7. Tristan Twisselman

Tristan Twisselman Active Member

Reading all of these reviews has me thinking. Im currently running 14x5 Xoars on my Flat CS8. There is no one with 16x5's or 15x5's in stock at the moment that I have seen. Would I benefit switching it how it is to an X8 without getting the bigger props? I don't mind losing some flight time. Im currently getting 10.5 minutes with the Fs700 and landing with 30% still in my batteries. Just want to make sure switching to the X8 without getting bigger props isnt going to lose any lifting capability. If it is, Ill just have to wait to try it when props come in stock.

8. Ozkan Erden

Ozkan Erden Distributor

You will loose efficiency. This is either in lifting capacity, or flight time. You choose what you sacrifice.

I have converted my flat CS8 with stock MK electronics to X8 and my flight time was %20 less with the same weight. (Tiger MT2814 motors with 14" props). I reverted it back to flat CS8.

9. Brad McGiveron

If primarily you are looking to maintain your flight time, the X is not for you. You do need to run larger props to get within 10% of your original times and you get a little more with more pitch on the bottom props. Probably the best you can hope for is 7-10% loss.

Tristan, I would suspect you'll get around 8-9 mins with 16X5's... or something like that.
    I run the same setup as you on one of mine.

What is your AUW with camera and trimmings?

10. Tristan Twisselman

AUW with camera and trimmings is about 10kg when running the Fs700, tad more with the Epic. My main concern is not flight time, I am fine with 7-8 minutes and more batteries. My hover throttle is higher than I want it to be but I really dont want to make it any bigger than it is for transport reasons. (I have my pilots license and a turbo 182 and its already a pain getting it in the plane) So ideally if i could do the X configuration with bigger props and get my hover point closer to 50% that would be ideal.

11. Brad McGiveron

Ya I run my Epic/Scarlet with a Bolt downlink, Bartech focus and cine primes as a maximum payload with same everything you have at 12 kg at about 60% hover. A slightly lighter setup without the focus and cine primes at 10.5 kg makes my hover around 50%. This is with 16x5's and have been messing with 16x7's on the bottom recently.
    I think a lighter setup like your fs700 at 10 kg would probably fly fine with 15x5's but 16's are the way I am sure.
    Also make sure your lipo plugs are EC5's... you'll get hot connections in hot weather with the X if you have mismatched wired gauge or connections. I don't notice it as much at 10 kg but at 12kg I had to switch all of my Deans out.

12. Tristan Twisselman

Thanks for the info Brad. Yea, I have always used EC5 since day one and always have on my 3d helis as well. I guess I will just wait for props to come in stock and give it a try!

13. Brad McGiveron

Would be interesting to know how it would fly with 14x5s;)

14. Tristan Twisselman

haha. I have a quick job tomorrow and then nothing with it until next week. Ill swap it over tomorrow night and give it a test. Suggestions on a custom mix or just use the standard dji one?

15. Brad McGiveron

16. Tristan Twisselman

sounds good, thanks for the help Brad.

17. Tristan Twisselman

Got my one cinestar converted to an x8. Waiting on props so I just test flew it with 14's but it seems very stable. Ill post some build details and pics on my 550mm flat octo and my 450mm x8 tonight. :)

18. Jason Toth

Jason Toth Active Member

Prop question... I'm using 14x6 Xoar props top/bottom on my X8 950mm. It flies amazingly well with an Epic and Zeiss CP2 lens.

I have heard some people putting either:

A) 1-2 inch larger props on bottom with same pitch as top
    B) same prop size on bottom but higher pitch

Also how are people liking / disliking wood vs carbon for a heavy lift?

I'd like to hear some of your experiences to save me a few hundred $$$'s in prop testing :)

19. Sean Haverstock

^^^^ I'd also like to know how many people are using different size and/or pitch props for top and bottom.

20. Katya Nelhams-Wright