/dist/images/branding/favicon

Our new CS8 custom flight box

Discussion in 'Cinestar Misc' started by Sebastian Meredith, May 11, 2013.

1. Sebastian Meredith

Sebastian Meredith Active Member

I thought I would share our new custom flight box we built for our CS8 and 3 axis gimbal. I've seen a few threads on guys requesting a single box to carry the entire unit ... and that's what we've done. Plus we're doing some shoots around the country and needed a transporter unit for it. I was not keen at all to dismantle and rebuild after every shoot.

It's constructed out of light weight aluminum with medium density foam cut out into the shape but also into layers. Between the layers are cutouts for the 2x transmitters, 2x 7" lcd's, battery charger and some extra bits a pieces. The box has locks all the way around the lid for security during transit. My favourite feature is the lid that comes off and using 4x aluminum legs that store inside the lid, turns the box into a really usefull work station while on location with storage space under and out of the sun. The one side of the case has caster wheels for rolling around the airport.

The dimensions are 1100mm x 1100mm x 400mm and weights in at 35kg with everything packed ready to fly!
    The foam is by far the heaviest element to the setup - 10kg! ... looking for something lighter to use as a substitute. The 3 landing legs fold flat before putting it in the box - that's the only

We're toying with the idea of manufacturing some on-demand. But I want to get a cost on shipping these awesome units around the world ... will keep you posted. We'll be able to customise the branding on each unit as well with you logo, colours etc. This is the first prototype so it might have one or two tweaks ... let me know your thoughts and suggestions.

PixAir-CS8-flightbox-01.jpg PixAir-CS8-flightbox-02.jpg PixAir-CS8-flightbox-03.jpg PixAir-CS8-flightbox-04.jpg

2. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

Absolutely wonderful! Great ideas, especially the legs. The only thing I'd add would be wheels and a handle.

Sebastian Meredith likes this.
  3. Sebastian Meredith

Hi Steve,

It has handles on 3 of the sides. If you look at images 1 and 2 you can see the retractable straps. The fourth side has 4x caster wheels. One on each corner. So when you are wheeling it around the box stands vertically on one end.

4. Scott Stemm

Scott Stemm Member

Great job. Only thing that I see need to get the weight down to 32 Kg on a lot of airlines

5. Sebastian Meredith

Thanks for the weight warning ... i'll have a look to see where I can shave a bit off!

6. Jose Luis Ocejo

Jose Luis Ocejo Active Member

2 examples
    :American Airlines 50 lbs/23 kgs in the US
    Delta
    70 lbs (32 kg)
    62 inches (157 cm) when you total length+width+height in the US

Thats a great case my only concern is weight but if you are traveling on a paid job well production should take care of shipping charges
    another concern is baggage handlers heavier case = when they drop it it hits harder

7. Sebastian Meredith

Hi Jose, I think I can get the weight down with the foam ... the foam alone at the moment weights 10KG ! I'm sure with another density or foam structure it can me reduced.

8. Jose Luis Ocejo

Other concern to consider on any hard case where the hole copter fits in with the props on are
    1 Add some kind off inside the case support in case the copter case is flat at the bottom of a bunch of heavy bags
    2 inspectors lifting the copter to inspect under it perhaps lifting it from the wrong area
    3 when putting the copter back a propeller hitting the side of the case or worse, if the prop is not under the lid edge when in the case, then when the case is close a prop could get crush "ouch" this is very likely sinse the props rotate so very easily
    perhaps a good size picture with instructions and warnings signs on the inside lid for the inspectors to see when they open the case
    I would take the props off for air travel

9. Sebastian Meredith

Thanks for the comments Jose ... appreciated!

The props are coming off in transit ... just had them on as I was flying this morning. There are still foam inserts that fit between each boom and then a final foam layer that caps the entire CS. This is fitted under the lid. so when the lid is placed on it covers everything to prevent any movement.

10. Sam Slape

Sam Slape Member

Interested on costs and shipping.

11. Leopoldo Tamargo

I think its a wonderful idea. I didn't see it in the pictures, but I understand everything is in that one case? Does that include monitors and batteries?

12. Sebastian Meredith

Hey Leopoldo, everything is in the box ... 2x transmitters, 2x 7 inch LCD for the transmitters, battery charger, tools, cables, spares etc. Only things not in the box are the lipos and laptop which I carry separately in a case as hand luggage. We have just completed a 10 day shoot in 3 locations, flying from one location to another and then back home ... the box worked like a dream ... everything together, quick setup and ready to fly. Part of the journey was by car and trailer to a very remote location which took 3 hours over some seriously bumpy dirt roads (covered it in plastic to keep the dust out) and the box kept everything in place and in one piece ... see pics below from the shoots. The silver case is our lipo box.

trip-01.jpg trip-02.jpg trip-03.jpg trip-04.jpg trip-05.jpg

13. Jose Luis Ocejo

Hi Sebastian did you had issues with the airlines like charging extra for the weight or the over size of the box
    what was the final over all weight of the box with all the components in it
    tahnks

14. Josh Lambeth

Josh Lambeth Well-Known Member

I want one... :D

Josh

15. Sebastian Meredith

Hi Jose,

No issues with airlines ... we had to pay for the extra luggage as airline regulations only allow for 1x onboard bag and 1x cargo hold bag. So the box was definitely an extra luggage. But the cost was minimal to get it on the flight ... approx. $30. The box was too large for the scanner so they did a manual inspection of the contents. The weight we managed to keep to 33kg after shaving some off some foam and packing the battery charger in my hand baggage, plus a couple of cables and tools. (1kg over the allowed weight, but they let it go through). We went through that process on only one of the flights, the other flights we opted for sending the case by booking it in at the cargo terminal earlier on in the day before our flight. It ended up being cheaper and we put everything in the box not having to be worried about the weight restriction. The total weight only went up to 36.5kg. When we arrived at our destination, we collected the rental vehicle and swung past the cargo terminal to collect the case. It was much easier this way, no need to cart the case through the airport. The only hic-cups we encountered was the protective case I was carrying with our lipos in ... the airport staff at the security scanners definitely raised an eyebrow or two when it showed up on their monitors! But a quick "they're batteries for my remote controlled toy helicopter" seemed to put them at ease ....

16. Cris Olariu

Cris Olariu Member

Great job on the case. I would really appreciate you keeping us updated on improvements you are making to it. I think I'm not the only one that is looking into acquiring a case of this nature.

17. Sam Slape

Sam Slape Member

Will you be selling these? I started a group buy thread on this forum for a case, however yours seems quite good, and I have not been able to get the drawings to get the foam cut to suit, so that is holding it up. If you sell these cases I'm sure everyone that wants one will take one of these.

Ideas on cost excluding shipping?

18. Sebastian Meredith

Hi Sam,
    I awaiting some shipping costs from various suppliers to various parts of the world. Once I have them I'll put together a costing structure and post it here.

19. Sam Slape

Sam Slape Member

Hi Sebastian

Any news on case costs?

20. Dave King

Dave King Well-Known Member

I would buy one for sure if the price was reasonable. Any idea of costs?