/dist/images/branding/favicon

Flying the 4K Canon 1DC on a standard CS 8?

Discussion in 'Cameras' started by Chris Newman, May 8, 2013.

1. Chris Newman

Chris Newman Member

I hooked up just over 4LBs on my gimbal and went for 2 flights. One with the 4S 9000 and one with the 4s 8000.
    I broke some rules though :/ I don't have a long enough cable for my GPS so I strapped my battery as close to the center on the booms. I know, I know tisk tisk. Anyway I forgot to put in the sd on the first flight on the 9000mah 25C. (Flight lasted 6 min. )
    I put one in for the second flight on the 8000mah and got around 5:45ish 30C. Since the battery wasn't completely centered some of the motors had to work a bit more.

I was also flying in wind and putting the heli through it's paces albeit lower in elevation.

On the GPX file what is a safe BL temp? And what other things should I look out for?

Also, I was at about 52% throttle to hover and 56% to elevate.

Any help is appreciated, you guys are awesome.

2. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Chris:
    For BL-Temps it's a little hard to define "normal" because there are variables such as payload, ambient air temperature, hovering or translating, etc.

The point at which the BL-Ctrl's automatically reduce power is 100C/212F. Typically, when I'm flying in ambient temps of 70F/21C, the BL-Temps will be around 69C/159F....generally in that range.

Your throttle setting sounds pretty much right....definitely in the ballpark, but that's going to vary on battery, props, ambient temperature, payload, etc.

I'd recommend that you carefully preserve every GPX file your bird creates and use them to establish "normal" for your bird -- and look at every GPX after a day's flying -- at least the summary created by MK_GPXTOOL so that you can get a sense of whether all is well.

Andy.

3. Brad McGiveron

Brad McGiveron Active Member

The FF HL is with 15x5 xoars on a flat config. Huge difference!

Anyways I can say from experience that 4s and 13 inch props will not lift F55/Red ( 10kg+ ) with any combination on X config for 7-8 mins without totally destroying the lipos. I think it would be hovering at near 100% throttle.

I can see the 1DC working with their numbers as long as you keep the lens to an EF mount and not PL etc.

who knows though... there might be a combination we all overlooked.

4. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Not the standard CS setup. Jeff has some of the Freefly HL dodads installed.

5. Brad McGiveron

That video was done with a standard CS8 and not the HL one ?

6. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

I think it is the test HL that Jeff was flying.

7. Brad McGiveron

ya that's what I thought... I saw the external power set and him say 15X5's so I assumed

8. Dejan Mugosa

Dejan Mugosa Member

I really dont see the problem with the 1.5kg if you use qc3368 or kw4 motors you just need to watch it with temps and bateries. Also i hope 13 inch props are installed. Maximum lift with KW8 on cinestar with gimball was 4.5kg we did but this was barely hoovering.
    Othervise HL is not a problem anymore. We can make it lift 20kg if needed. A whole red RIG. Next year maybe even with operator :)
    Since in 1 year we came from 3kg to 10kg and still have around 8 to 10 min flight time.

Well a lot off stuff we are testing on now will be shocking for some.

9. Dejan Mugosa

Dejan Mugosa Member

I can say that lifting red 4kg payload with 4s on 13 inch props for more than 8 minutes is totaly dooable and was done 1.5 years ago.
    Actually we done it on 12 inch props and dodeka with kw4 and skyjib 8 on 4s with kw8. We flew skyjib8 on 4s and 5s to test and there was no big difference. Bateries on the kopter were 5s 2x 8000mah or 4s 2 x 8300mah.

Video proof on kopterworx on vimeo off both kopters.

10. Chris Shaw

Chris Shaw New Member

You don't have to go BIG to go big. A good match of motor rpm and prop diameter/pitch can produce impossible results. You can see in some spots in this video that 13" props are being used. You can go BIG if you want longer flight times but 7 mins flying an F55 with follow focus is respectable. Not sure if they're using MK ESCs..doubtful, personally I'd be a bit nervous using them with a setup like this.

11. Chris Newman

Chris Newman Member

Thanks for everyones responses. I got ahold of the 1DC and put the lightest widest canon lens I could find on it ( a 24mm 2.8) Total weight with battery came in at 3.75lbs. So I can fly it easy! Now the thing is the directors always want to throw a 16-35mm lens on it. I tested it out and I can fly it but I feel uneasy :/ To people not familar with helis, they say "Oh it lifted off the ground, that means you can fly it with no issues!" attitude.

12. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

I'm thinking serious about getting the 1DC, Chris. No problems with the HDMI video downlink and/or remote control? Any issues with the gimbal mounting?

And sure....where't the problem with the logic "if you can get off the ground you fly without issues....."? <evil grin>

Andy.

13. Chris Newman

Chris Newman Member

Hey Andy,

No problems with HDMI, haven't tried a remote control. You need the epic gimbal kit to get it to fit, took me awhile to balance the gimbal. And keep in mind that you need 1000x CF cards to make it work. They are pretty pricey.

14. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Yeah, those 1K CF cards are spendy!

If it's not too much trouble, could you let me know how you get on with the 1DC please?

Thanks
    Andy.

15. Chris Newman

Chris Newman Member

Yes, I will let you know when, (if) I use it. It doesn't belong to me, I just might use it on some shoots in the future.