/dist/images/branding/favicon

What set Ye for 5DMKII video?

Discussion in 'Cameras' started by MIke Magee, Apr 29, 2013.

1. MIke Magee

MIke Magee Active Member

Hi all. Could anyone opine on the settings you use for 5dMKII video?

We have an upcoming project that needs to be merged with a ground based C300 and some Black Magic at 24frames/sec.

We are thinking we'll start with start with 1080/24p, MANUAL, iso 160-640, 1250(night). Shutter 50, reducing sharpness and contrast all the way, and saturation a bit.

We have 3 slots we need to shoot - Daybreak, a bit of mid-day and the golden hour sunset. Maybe a bit of night downtown for context.

How are you managing focus?

Do you set manual or go TV at 50? Do you go higher than 50?

Just wondering what other folks are doing, because when I just looked at the 5D book in the back, there was no chapter for flying it on the Cinestar for some reason.

Any advice or experience with getting solid 5D video would be appreciated !

Best Regards,

Mike Magee

2. Josh Lambeth

Josh Lambeth Well-Known Member

Hey Mike,
    If you can get away with it try shooting at 100 on your shutter. It will help with the sharpness of the video a bit. Also for focus just use the magnify button to check focus on something a long way away so you can make sure the focus is tack sharp. You can tape the focus ring so it can't move. You can shoot at a low F-Stop number if this is done correctly.

Always shoot on Manual mode. If it's on anything else you will have issues with the exposure changing. On the 5D It's not a smooth transition either.

Pretty much everything on our reel is shot on a 5dMKII. Go out and play with the camera a bit and you will be all set for your shoot. LMK if you have any other questions!

Josh

3. Tim Joy

Tim Joy Active Member

Agree with Josh, but if you will need to post stabilize, then make sure your shutter speed is high enough to eliminate most or all of the motion blur. My standard at 24p is 1/160. It really depends on how fast the movement is, how much wind... etc.
    Compared to a C300 the MkII is very soft, and not a lot of detail, with plenty of aliasing and moire to boot. I think a hacked GH2 would be a better match.

4. MIke Magee

MIke Magee Active Member

Thanks Josh. We've always liked your 5D work! I'll give this a try.

We do a LOT of still work with the 5DMKII ( Here's a great shot from this weekend below. ), and LOVE it.

But truth be told, the Sony 760 has us spoiled, and now it's to,e to stop talking about the 5D video and get serious.

BTW, many folks seem to suggest shutter 50. Does 100 introduce any stutter? I'll give it a go this afternoon!

Thanks, m
    https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...89984339.52420.279661638802621&type=1&theater

5. MIke Magee

MIke Magee Active Member

Hey Tim. Thanks. I'll take a test this afternoon with 160 too. Seems like many suggest faster than 50.
    Like I said, the Sony 760 has spoiled us.
    -m

6. Brad Meier

Brad Meier Active Member
    Staff Member

Standard is to run shutter at double your frame rate. Great for ground based stuff but as explained above if you have lots of movement the video will be blurry, as in each frame of video shot will not be crisp.. Much like taking a still at 1/50th. Throw it on the copter and you'll want to run higher shutters

7. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

If you have to use auto exposure, use auto ISO. But even that is problematic. Best to go full manual.

8. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Brad: Apologies for being a literalist, but I'm confused: You say "run shutter at double your frame rate."

So if I'm shooting at 29.97 fps (call it 30fps just to make the math easier), are you saying that I should have the shutter at 1/60 second?
    If so, then that's half the frame rate, not double, isn't it? (Frame rate is 1/30 of a second per frame, shutter is 1/60 second which, obviously, is half as long.)

Or did you mean "take the frame rate (30fps), double it to get 60 and then use that as the shutter speed as a fraction, 1/60th second?"

Expiring minds (mine) want to know...

Andy.

9. Brad Meier

Brad Meier Active Member
    Staff Member

Ahh.. the literalist..

30fps is normally filmed at 1/60th. 24fps you would round to 1/50th. For ISOs 160, 320, 640 etc are better. The shutter speed numbers are ideal numbers to strive for but if your rig has any vibration the video will be less sharp, much like taking a photo at 1/60th. I usually run anywhere from 1/160 up to 1/400 (super windy shoots). If your going to be doing post stabilization the software will work better with a crisper image.

Now, with a MoVI MR there wont be any of this shutter speed adjusting.

10. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

Whether it's 24 or 30 fps, the human eye can (sort of) see the frames in a stream. So, therefore, the objective is to trick the viewer's brain into merging those frames together. If there's movement in a scene (as there is in aerial stuff), you need to introduce just enough motion blur to create the illusion of fluid motion. Years ago in the film world, this was done by means described above. But with digital capture, rolling shutters, and other issues, it's no longer that simple. But it's still a decent rule of thumb. Unless it isn't. ;)

11. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Guilty as charged, Cap'n.
    I'm That Guy who will sit and stare at the side of a carton of orange juice because it has the following word on the side:

CONCENTRATE.​

Thanks for the clarification.

Sure..... ;)
    And there is a Santa Claus....(or Sanity Clause as the lawyers write it).

Andy.

12. MIke Magee

MIke Magee Active Member

Thanks to all for some great advice. It's clear the 180 rule doesn't apply to flying shutters. We tested various shutter speeds today and will continue tomorrow.

We APPRECIATE the dialog here. This forum is awesome. Thanks to all who have opined.
    -m

13. Adriel Pfister

Adriel Pfister New Member

When it comes to color and contrast with the 5D if had the best experience using the technicolor cinestyle: https://www.technicolorcinestyle.com/download/

With that you can get the most dynamic range out of the camera and it will be easier to match to the C300 in terms of contrast.
    But you will have to do a bit of color grading...

Adriel

14. Tait Sougstad

Tait Sougstad New Member

Has anyone tried using external servos to control zoom/focus? There is that gear adapter ring that usually works with a follow-focus, I've been thinking about how it would work with servos assigned to transmitter knobs.

15. MIke Magee

MIke Magee Active Member

Tait, Another board member, and I won't mention his name - OK, it was Michael McVay, mentored me through a remote zoom for the Canon 5D several months back. I will try to post the component names and procedures. I've been meaning to do it anyway. It came out very nice.

16. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

I think I heard that RedRock Micro was coming out with something. Issue is always now much does it weigh and what can you do for control.