/dist/images/branding/favicon

Spektrum DX6i not recognized by Radian Software

Discussion in 'Radian' started by Louis Wilsher, Sep 24, 2012.

1. Louis Wilsher

Louis Wilsher New Member

Maybe I'm just not getting it, but....I have a Spektrum DX6i for my camera control. I am using a AR6210 receiver (not sure if this is the "satellite receiver" referred to in the manual or not, but it is the box that gets power from the Koptor, so I am assuming it is). I have the roll Radian plugged directly into the AR6210 via the special Spektrum plug; I have a solid green LED on my roll Radian. I can connect to the Radian via the usb/software and have set the Radian as "Roll-1".

My problem is that the software does not seem to recognize the DX6i (or maybe it is the AR6210?) - my Servo Out slider responds to manually moving the roll, but none of the other sliders do anything and remain red. The Spektrum check box on the lower portion of the diagnostics window remains unchecked. Also, when the Input Monitor window is open, none of the channels have any functionality and they also all remain red.

These are my two main questions:

1) how do you get the Spektrum DX6i to get recognized by the software so that I can turn the Radian on and get the servos motors to respond.

2) how do I set up a two position switch to control the modes (I just want off or full-on, not the middle setting). Not sure how to get the software to know what channel I want to set if no channels seem to be recognized.

This is my second attempt to get the radians to work and my second time having to abort and go back to the old-school potentiometers - I just want to get this done so I can use it! As I said, maybe I'm just missing something obvious.......

2. John Cunningham

Hey Mr Bill,

The Spektrum connector on the Radian is for a satellite receiver to be connected, not a main receiver. The main receiver does not give data out on this port.

If you want to use the main receiver, you need to do it via PWM signals (PWM actually needs the imminent firmware update for the Radian) - but everything is much much easier if you use a satellite.

Once you have that working, you can pick your channels for the switch using the Radian PC 'Input Channel Monitor' screen.

I'm using a DX6i+satellite Rx with my Cinestar mount and it is working great. There is another thread on here which explains some mixing you can use for the mode switch.

3. Louis Wilsher

Louis Wilsher New Member

But how do I get power to the satellite? My satellite is plugged into the main AR6210 receiver via the Spektrum plug, if I unplug it, it is no longer connected to anything and does not have power. Do I need to split the Spektrum cord so that it comes out of the main receiver, connects to the satellite and then also powers the Radian? Or do I need to provide a separate power source to the Radian, which then powers the satellite (but then how does the satellite communicate with the AR6210?)????

Can you provide me with really dumbed down step-by-step guide on how to make this work and/or provide some pictures showing your set-up. As I said above, I really don't want to back track again from this point, but I am almost about to just abandon the Radian altogether.

4. Tabb Firchau

Tabb Firchau Administrator
    Staff Member

HI Mr Bill, when you plut the Satellite into the Radian it will provide power to the Satellite. Please refer to the sample wiring diagram in the Radian manual, there is a nice photo in there that shows a Spektrum Satellite plugged into a Radian.

Yes you will need to provide a 5V power supply to the Radian that now has the Spektrum Satellite plugged in (or any Radian for that matter)

Tabb

5. Louis Wilsher

Louis Wilsher New Member

I have studied the nice photo for hours and it still does not make sense to me, sorry. So now I know I need to provide an outside power source (right?), which I originally thought would come from the CS8 via the main receiver/Spektrum cord and which is not shown in the nice photo. If I get a separate 5v battery and the correct connection I am guessing I plug it into the port 1 of the Radian? I am still not understanding how the AR6210 communicates with the satellite since they are no longer physically connected via the Spektrum cord.

Your instruction book, while visually pleasing, seems to leave out some pretty critical information on how to set up the Radians with a Spektrum based system. You kind of brush over it and then go into detail for the S.Bus, which is great for those using S.Bus......I still feel like I am missing something that may be obvious to some, but not to many. A simple step-by-step guide would be very helpful, starting with 1-with a Spektrum system you need to go buy a 5V battery and plug it into X port on Radian, 2- plug satellite into Radian and connect satellite to primary receiver via....

I don't want to sound too frustrated, but after having waited since May for this system to be available, pre-ordering, getting it over-nighted so that I could get to using it asap, and installing it, only to find I don't have the correct USB cord handy, removing it again, re-installing and now not being able to get it to work when it purportedly is so easy - I'm frustrated. And even after reading every thread on this forum, I still don't know how to get it to work or if I need to purchase additional, yet to be discovered cables, connectors, etc. or even an whole new receiver/transmitter.

6. Tabb Firchau

Staff Member

Hi Mr Bill

The AR6210 is no longer part of the picture....you will only be using the Satellite. Correct you will need to provide 5V input to the Pan Radian on any of the open ports.

The setup for S.Bus and Spektrum are identical if you are using the Spektrum Satellite method.

Best,

Tabb

7. Louis Wilsher

Louis Wilsher New Member

8. Jon Fredericks

Tabb or John C, I'm working with Mr. Bill on this (our camera operator). Just want to clarify the radian power issue/question: we are currently powered from our primary 14.8 battery from MK directly to the roll radian module (which is how we previously powered the roll servo). Do we need to provide separate 5v power for the Rad modules, or are we good the way we are? (we run 2-axis system).

Many thanks,
    -Jon

9. Tabb Firchau

Staff Member

Hi Jon, The FreeFly Servos can handle 6V MAX input voltage. If you are providing 14.8 to them they will be destroyed very quickly. I would recommend that you supply the Radian with a good quality 5A minimum BEC, you can certainly power this off the MK distribution ring for easy and clean wiring.

I think I might be misunderstanding and that you are providing 5V power via the MK servo outputs? If so this will work but the MK dc/dc regulator is a bit wimpy for the job (1A current rating)

Tabb

10. Jon Fredericks

Yes, the power is coming from the MK power dist ring....which sounds like it's not up to the task?
    Thanks-

11. Jon Fredericks

Tabb - yes power is coming from MK board....but sounds like it is not up to the task?
    Thanks-

12. Adam Paugh

Adam Paugh Distributor

Hello Jon and Mr. Bill,

It would be possible to power the Radian/servos from the MK PDRing (as long as it is not a 360 gimbal...things would get rather tangled). We are using this BEC--http://www.quadrocopter.com/Battery-Eliminator-Circuit-BEC_p_625.html

This will, out of the packaging, dump the output voltage to the Radian system to 5.1v. This BEC is also adjustable. DO NOT send 14.8v to the Radian/servos!

For a 360 panning gimbal, most are going with a 12v(3S) lipo on the gimbal and then utilizing this same BEC as listed above.
    Greetings,
    Adam

Jon F. likes this.